Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG - Wake Times from app are SOOOOHHHOOO SLOW.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I am very supportive of deep sleep and minimizing vampire drain, I, too wish the wake up times were quicker. I think the long wait time is how long the model 3 takes to wake up and connect to LTE. Someone willing to time how long it takes for a deep sleeping Tesla to wake up and show LTE connection? Start the timer as you open the door, wait for the high voltage click a few seconds later and see just how long before you see the LTE radio show its got a signal...

That is true, the thing just bashes whereever it wants. :)
I don't think vampire drain matters. at all. ever. these batteries are HUGE. OMG I lost 3 miles today! ohh no... that's like 1% of the range. will I make it home?!
Vampire drain is about 10% of residential electricity consumption. Does it "matter"? I suppose not in the sense that no individual source of energy use really "matters".
You could argue that switching to EVs doesn't really "matter" since only 14% of CO2 emissions worldwide are from transportation.

Put me in that camp. I would trade 400W for connecting faster.

It's Winter time here in Southern Ontario, and I would like to be able to connect to the car and turn on the heat before I get in.

Vin

Have you tried just leaving one of the doors slightly open? Not sure if it would solve your problem; there may be some timeout, though I have not seen one in my use. Fringe benefit is that you don’t have to worry about your door being frozen shut.

Car only uses 400W or so when the door is open as long as climate is off, so might work for your requirements!

If your car is parked outside I am not sure whether it is better to leave a door cracked on the windward or the leeward side. Probably depends on windspeed. A tarp and some bungees might be useful for keeping the elements out.

Best part of this is it would only lose 40 miles a day or so, so it would be no problem leaving the car that way overnight or even for a few days. It would always be ready to go. Reduces contactor and 12V battery wear too. Lots of benefits.

Last edited:
That is true, the thing just bashes whereever it wants. :)
I don't think vampire drain matters. at all. ever. these batteries are HUGE. OMG I lost 3 miles today! ohh no... that's like 1% of the range. will I make it home?!

I disagree. If you drive many miles per day the vampire drain is a low percentage.
But if you drive only a small distance or not at all some days it is a high percentage.
Smaller drain is always better, at least as a design point. How responsive the car is to wake up could/should be user configurable

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Model 3 vs. Roomba vs. iPhone
Standby power
Model 3 30-40W
Roomba 3W (This is also terrible! Uses more power just sitting around than it does actually vacuuming)
iPhone 7 0.03W (This is what happens when engineers care)​
Wake up time
Model 3: 50s
Roomba: 10s
iPhone 7: 5s to get location with Find iPhone app, ~1s to play location sound.​
FSD
Model 3: No*
Roomba: Yes
iPhone 7: No​
*pending regulatory approval? :D

Reactions: fiatlux
Model 3 vs. Roomba vs. iPhone
Standby power
Model 3 30-40W
Roomba 3W (This is also terrible! Uses more power just sitting around than it does actually vacuuming)
iPhone 7 0.03W (This is what happens when engineers care)​
Wake up time
Model 3: 50s
Roomba: 10s
iPhone 7: 5s to get location with Find iPhone app, ~1s to play location sound.​
FSD
Model 3: No*
Roomba: Yes
iPhone 7: No​
*pending regulatory approval? :D

I have a Neato Botvac insted of a roomba. If Tesla FSD works like the Botvac's we're all doomed! :)

Car has excellent wifi coverage when parked, but I have crap LTE at my home. The app *never* wakes the car. Flat out never works.

...When we traveled to a hotel near Yosemite with good LTE coverage, the app woke the car after a long delay -- but it did work.