Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG - Wake Times from app are SOOOOHHHOOO SLOW.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The solution to this issue is straightforward:
1. Buy a Model S or X. Note that the 3 will not unlock unless the app is showing the 3 when opened.
2. Open the app., pointed at the 3. It says "waking up" but it is lying.
3. Switch the app to the X. It says "updated X hours ago" and then connects in about 2-3 seconds.
3. Switch the app to the 3. It now says "updated Y hours ago" and then connects in 17-18 seconds.

Voila! See definition of straightforward.

• Funny
Reactions: forkee
I think we need better understanding from Tesla to the conditions that make the connection fast vs slow. What are the variables we can control like having the car in a Wi-Fi area , plugged in, or certain settings on the phone to optimize? No doubt Tesla knows it’s a problem, surely Elon has the same problem personally. Apparently, they don’t have a great answer yet and are unwilling/unable to program real fixes, perhaps because the consequence is worse, like unacceptable battery drain or data use.

A couple things for me that make me grumble out loud - waiting for the unlock to work on the charge door as I stand there in the rain when I walk up to the car (usually shows last updated hours ago). Or a related situation is the length of time from pressing open charge door on the dash to getting the plug into the port is too slow. I'd like about 5 more seconds because it closes as I pass the rear door which results in me fumbling with the phone (and waiting for it to connect) while standing there again, with the cord in my hand.

I know others feel it the phone's fault for some of these connection issues but honestly if the phone has been sitting inside the car for the previous hour why does the app show it was last updated hours ago? If both the phone and the M3 are connected to the same wifi network, it can still take more than 30 seconds in the morning for the app to update.

Reactions: fiatlux
A couple things for me that make me grumble out loud - waiting for the unlock to work on the charge door as I stand there in the rain when I walk up to the car (usually shows last updated hours ago). Or a related situation is the length of time from pressing open charge door on the dash to getting the plug into the port is too slow. I'd like about 5 more seconds because it closes as I pass the rear door which results in me fumbling with the phone (and waiting for it to connect) while standing there again, with the cord in my hand.

I know others feel it the phone's fault for some of these connection issues but honestly if the phone has been sitting inside the car for the previous hour why does the app show it was last updated hours ago? If both the phone and the M3 are connected to the same wifi network, it can still take more than 30 seconds in the morning for the app to update.

I’m not making excuses but isn’t it easier to just push the charging door or the button on the cable (if using a Tesla cable)?

In the roughly 8-9 months I’ve owned the car, I’ve used the open charge port feature via phone or screen less than 10 times and I charge daily with a non-Tesla cable.

That said, I often use a knuckle or the cable itself to open the door since I don’t want my hands to get dirty.

In the roughly 8-9 months I’ve owned the car, I’ve used the open charge port feature via phone or screen less than 10 times and I charge daily with a non-Tesla cable.

That said, I often use a knuckle or the cable itself to open the door since I don’t want my hands to get dirty.

Interesting. My gym has a free J1772 charger and I always hit the "open port" on the screen before getting out of the car and plugging in. I suppose I could just push the charge port cover to open it.

My app will not connect to the car lately. It still works as key 100% of the time if the app is open but most of the time I cannot get the app to connect to see current status/range remaining, etc.

Not sure what the deal is. I’m on 50.6

Owned a S for 3 years. I could pop open the app, hit the HVAC and be done. < 10 seconds.

For both my 3 and my wife's.. open app. Mow the lawn, take a shower. Now you can set the HVAC.

What a freaking waste of time, hassle, and annoyance. This worked just fine in the S...

what's going on here?! I care WAY more about usability than any 'phantom drain'...

thanks.
I had the same problem. My iPhone was also eating battery like crazy so yesterday I paid a visit to the genius bar. The tech did a few tests and reinstalled the OS. It was the phone, not the car! Hope this helps

3.8.2 is out now. At first the car woke up very quickly. But alas. It was a fluke. This is the most annoying thing about owning this car.
Not a fluke. Every time there is an update to the phone people post that the car woke up faster or for some slower. Best way to judge if the app actually hanged the wake up time is simply to wait 30-60 minutes and try again.
Usually the wake up time will revert back to the normal 20-45 seconds when the car is in sleepy mode.