TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

On Board Air Compressor?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jashev, Jun 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

Hi Guys,

Just noticed a Facebook posting where it was stated that there is an on-board air compressor that can be accessed on cars with SAS. Before I go tearing my frunk apart, I was wondering if this was true. Supposedly it has a standard Shrader valve connection that would accept an air hose for tire inflation.

Is this for real? Thanks.

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

Logically, I think the volume required for the system is so small to make it practical for tires.

3. jddssc121

jddssc121 Member

GM used to have access on some of their SUVs (inflating bike tires, etc)

4. thimel

thimel Member

Never heard of this before. Doubt it is true. I do have the separate air compressor that you can plug into the cigarette lighter.

5. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

The only on-board compressor is the A/C compressor and air suspension pump.

6. jddssc121

jddssc121 Member

Considering I owned a GMC that did it, I can assure you it is true..... but thanks for calling me a liar :)

• Like x 1
  7. Mrwatchdawg

Mrwatchdawg Member

GM did have that. One of those convenience features.

8. thimel

thimel Member

I was referring to the Tesla in my remark in answer to the OP. Had no intention of calling anyone a liar.

• Like x 1
  9. Kutu

Kutu Member

It would be nice. Even the super-ugly Pontiac Aztec had one!

10. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

SAS obviously uses an onboard air compressor. I've never read of people accessing it or using it for another purpose. GM did have such an arrangement on the Aztec and some others of that generation, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

11. Joe F

Joe F Member

Had a 2000 Bonneville SSEi with air shocks that had a Schrader valve in the trunk, and came with a long hose and gauge to inflate tires. Surprised Tesla did not add that feature. Should have been simple to do.

12. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

Thanks all. It certainly makes sense to me that there is an air compressor with the SAS system. Just wondered if anyone had tried to access it for tire inflation and whether it had the capacity to support that.

13. David99

David99 Active Member

Even if it worked, you would still need a long enough hose that reaches all 4 tires. I got a small 12 Volt compressor. Helped me a few times already. The first time I had a flat I use a hand pump and ... well that was my workout for that day :) I bought the small portable compressor after that.

14. whitecotton

whitecotton Member

The valve is pretty easy to get to in the frunk, just take off the middle plastic piece and you will see it.

15. MRPLUGIN

MRPLUGIN Member

A lot air suspension systems these days are a sealed system that is full of nitrogen with a storage tank. to minimize corrosion/contamination I believe.

• Like x 1
  16. jimmyz80

jimmyz80 Member

When I was a kid we had an Oldsmobile Silhouette that had auto-leveling suspension. There was a panel in the cargo area you could open up to expose an air hose and on/off switch that I'm pretty sure used the same compressor as the suspension. We never found a single reason to use it.

17. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

Yes, the Tesla *is* a closed loop system with an onboard air tank. The system works by using a pump to move the air between the strut bladders and the tank, depending on if you are raising or lowering. That said, I don't know if our system is filled with Nitrogen or not. There is a standard Schrader valve on the tank, and the tank is easily accessible under the cowling cover that can be removed under the frunk lid. It is *possible* that the system can replenish itself via the onboard pump, in the event of a slow leak. Unfortunately I can not confirm this.

• Informative x 1
  18. jnahanna

jnahanna Member

This isnt a closed loop system on my 2013 MS, might be different for newer ones When you remove all the frunk covers underneath you will find the compressor for the air suspension has a dump valve and a filter for the air intake both of these open to fresh air. This pump fills this small tank to about 50 lbs of pressure, which works great for filling tires when you only need 35-45 lbs. I made a hose that attaches and locks to the shrader valve and I can fill any tire on my car or any car. The car does require it to be powered on though to keep the pump running so someone has to stay in the drivers seat if you want it to pump up. The shrader is located under the cover in the frunk against the window and very easy to access in about 1 min. I will post some pics later.

• Like x 1
  19. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

A closed system is not necessarily a sealed system. Even a closed system has to have a dump valve and fresh air intake.

Remember, air molecules vibrate more rapidly, pushing them apart, decreasing density, increasing pressure, as temperature rises. The reverse happens as temperature decreases. The ambient temperature in the areas you drive could alter by as much as 100 degree Fahrenheit. The system would need to be able to cope with this.

Along with that, I may drive in areas of varying altitude of as much as 7,000 feet. This change in altitude will result in a change in atmospheric pressure. I'm not sure how much influence this has on the soft bellows, but again the system would need to cope with this.

Another situation (and most common in older cars) is if you develop a leak in the system. A slow leak can be dealt with by occasionally pumping in fresh air.

As a bonus scenario, and one of which I just recently experienced... I had my suspension set at 'Very High'. I proceeded to jack up one corner of the car without putting it in 'Jack' mode first. Once I lowered the car back down, it needed to do something with that extra pressure it built-up trying to level, and it did so by popping the dump valve. Scared the crap out of me!