Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On Board Charger Failed after Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday my HW 2 Model X wouldn't charge. I brought it into the service center. I was informed I was out of warranty by 5k miles. They had it overnight and called me today to say that the onboard charger would need to be replaced at a cost of $2,600! He said this was very rare, especially for low mileage. Has anyone had this issue? Also is there an extended warranty program that is available for my car?

...very rare...

Tesla does offer Extended Warranty called ESA for the S and X.

It the extended warranty claims are rare then the program would make money.

However, there's a clue whether the program is making money or not (implying whether the claims are rare or not), Tesla is not offering the program for Model 3 since July 2017 or for the past 2 years.

If the program has been successful and profitable and the claims have been rare, logically, Tesla would sell that to Model 3 owners a long time ago.

I wouldn't necessarily infer that from the lack of a Model 3 extended warranty. The X was released for a few years before they started selling the extended warranty for it. They likely just need a few years to get a handle on what they expect the post-warranty work will be before coming out with pricing for the plan.

Reactions: ChadS
...The X was released for a few years before they started selling the extended warranty for it...

Model X Design Studio on the web was first opened for public on 4/12/2016.

Extended Service Agreement for Model X has been offered started 2/2/2017 or less than a year later:

upload_2019-6-25_16-23-58.png

Model X Design Studio on the web was first opened for public on 4/12/2016.
Yeah but people with reservations who got cars as early as late 2015 got on the studio in the fall of 2015. I designed my car in the first week of January 2016 and took delivery at the end of March 2016.

But nonetheless, I suspect the total deliveries by April 1st were less than 2000. So statistically not a big enough number to evaluate. Plus many of those early cars had lots of issues that would probably wash out later in the data.

I have to decide in the next 9 months if I am buying the extended warranty on my Dec16 X. I am highly considering rolling the dice and not buying it. Don’t forget there is a visit charge with every visit to the service center under the ExtWarramty ($200?).

You would need the charger to fail 3 times to make the service more than the extended warranty. And the charger is one of the more expensive repairs. I believe drive units are on par with that expense level too.

I think I’m willing to bet I won’t have 3 MAJOR repairs in the next 3-4 years post end of warranty. Who thinks I’m right? Who disagrees?

Extended warranties are insurance providing protection against paying for expensive repairs beyond the cost of the policy.

Assuming Tesla really is managing service as a break-even program, then the warranty cost is the average of what an owner would likely pay for repairs during the warranty period.

There are a few major components (not including the motor and battery which are covered separately by Tesla) - such as the console display, MCU, AP processor, charging system, …

Tesla is charging $200 per incident for repairs under the extended warranty.

Tesla is also including Roadside Assistance with the extended warranty - which provides towing for your vehicle to the nearest service center, which can be useful if you break down during a road trip (which happened to us in the middle of Kansas).

We've owned 3 Tesla vehicles - the first was kept until almost 100K miles - and have purchased the 4 year extended warranty for all 3 vehicles. While that increases the upfront cost of the vehicles - it also protects us from higher than expected repairs over the 8 years or 100K miles we plan to keep the vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
In the past, I've seen out of warranty issues like this fixed under good will. This is clearly not your fault and just bad luck.

With the current state of Tesla's customer service, I doubt they'll relent. But it's worth a shot. You should make your case.

To answer one of OP's original questions, the onboard charger in our S died at about 76k miles, 3.5 years of ownership. It cost us $2350 to replace. OP, if it's possible to still get the ESA and you plan on keeping your X for a while, it may make sense to buy the ESA instead of just paying the $$ for the onboard charger.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
Yesterday my HW 2 Model X wouldn't charge. I brought it into the service center. I was informed I was out of warranty by 5k miles. They had it overnight and called me today to say that the onboard charger would need to be replaced at a cost of $2,600! He said this was very rare, especially for low mileage. Has anyone had this issue? Also is there an extended warranty program that is available for my car?
I am having same issue. Charging keeps getting interrupted and stops. They are recommending onboard charger replacement. I have a dec 2016 model s with 69k miles. They are telling me $2600. I’m trying to fight for goodwill replacement Let’s see.