Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On-board charger swap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Software is at the heart of almost all systems these days and Tesla is MORE software controlled than any other car manufacture. Also it is likely less expensive and easer to just to trade in for an AWD and get all the other upgrades too.

Is the on-board charger actually a combination of 2 or 3 parallel 16amp modules?
That does seem to be the way they are doing their chargers these days, with the smaller and larger being 32 and 48, so there is an extra 16 amp unit in there. And we've seen a few odd failures where someone's 32A charging rate permanently goes out to 16A, because one of the internal modules failed.

Stumbled across this... it gives an idea what you'll see under the seat.... the big silver doodad in figure 1(basically most of the width under the seat!) is the charger. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10154508-9999.pdf

I've also been lead to believe that the 32 amp charger is simply a 48 amp charger with 16 amps worth of charging components removed. That said, just populating those components, if they are even available, is likely to be not be effective. There's doubtless a jumper or EEPROM on the board somewhere that would need to be tweaked to get the 48 amps.

You'd be >much< more likely to have success if you bought the charger out of a wrecked LR 3. It still wouldn't be at all guaranteed, as I don't know how much part-registration is done between components on a Tesla, where the charger might be programmed with the VIN or other identifier for which car it belongs in.

You're not able to swap out the 32A for 48A charger in a SR+ pack. Several issues why this won't work:

-firmware. You would have to be able to re-flash firmware and if you did, there would be conflicting versions which would prevent operation of vehicle.
-SR+ pack contains different sized modules than the LR pack. The BMB boards on each module are programmed to work with the 32A charger, and not the 48A charger. Changing these out would require the pack to be dropped from under the vehicle, some suspension work, opening the pack, and then trying to re-seal it. Also to change these out for the larger module size wouldn't work because the larger modules are two different sizes, whereas the modules in a SR+ are all 4 the same. Also, again it will cause a firmware issue.
-The previously mentioned smaller modules have different 'brick' sizes than larger modules, and can only be charged up to a certain amount. A BMB board swap, if the firmware wasn't a problem (which it will be), would try and overcharge the module. Overcharging will damage the module and render it useless and potentially cause a thermal event.

What is the reason why someone would want to attempt this? Understand this makes zero difference in Supercharging....

The reason I know about the BMB board swap was due a factory error early on. A tech placed the wrong BMB board on the wrong module, and it made it into a pack. Once that pack hit the final stages of the pack line and got some voltage, sparks ensued....hence programming changes made upstream to prevent this from happening, let alone getting into a customers car.

Stumbled across this... it gives an idea what you'll see under the seat.... the big silver doodad in figure 1(basically most of the width under the seat!) is the charger. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10154508-9999.pdf

I've also been lead to believe that the 32 amp charger is simply a 48 amp charger with 16 amps worth of charging components removed. That said, just populating those components, if they are even available, is likely to be not be effective. There's doubtless a jumper or EEPROM on the board somewhere that would need to be tweaked to get the 48 amps.

You'd be >much< more likely to have success if you bought the charger out of a wrecked LR 3. It still wouldn't be at all guaranteed, as I don't know how much part-registration is done between components on a Tesla, where the charger might be programmed with the VIN or other identifier for which car it belongs in.
It's for my tesla s.. sorry guys, wrong car

You're not able to swap out the 32A for 48A charger in a SR+ pack. Several issues why this won't work:

-firmware. You would have to be able to re-flash firmware and if you did, there would be conflicting versions which would prevent operation of vehicle.
-SR+ pack contains different sized modules than the LR pack. The BMB boards on each module are programmed to work with the 32A charger, and not the 48A charger. Changing these out would require the pack to be dropped from under the vehicle, some suspension work, opening the pack, and then trying to re-seal it. Also to change these out for the larger module size wouldn't work because the larger modules are two different sizes, whereas the modules in a SR+ are all 4 the same. Also, again it will cause a firmware issue.
-The previously mentioned smaller modules have different 'brick' sizes than larger modules, and can only be charged up to a certain amount. A BMB board swap, if the firmware wasn't a problem (which it will be), would try and overcharge the module. Overcharging will damage the module and render it useless and potentially cause a thermal event.

What is the reason why someone would want to attempt this? Understand this makes zero difference in Supercharging....

The reason I know about the BMB board swap was due a factory error early on. A tech placed the wrong BMB board on the wrong module, and it made it into a pack. Once that pack hit the final stages of the pack line and got some voltage, sparks ensued....hence programming changes made upstream to prevent this from happening, let alone getting into a customers car.
Sorry, I own a tesla s p85 2014.. wrong forum
Your answer is so detailed, its amazing. On my tesla s I could easily replace the on board charger but then I learned it requires programing and I don't know anyone who can do it over the internet.

Wow thanks for the details! Guess that’s settled. I figured if it was just adding a module maybe this would be a way to make use of the higher charging speed on the HPWC. It has nothing to do with supercharging.