Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On the brink of buying Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The “hidden” new inventory list is the most frustrating thing about trying to buy a new car. You’re relying on your SA finding stuff for you at that specific moment in time. Snooze and it goes or you just miss the perfect car. I live miles from my nearest Tesla showroom meaning it all has to be done in the phone. Why they can’t just have all the cars shown to all I don’t know.

The “hidden” new inventory list is the most frustrating thing about trying to buy a new car. You’re relying on your SA finding stuff for you at that specific moment in time. Snooze and it goes or you just miss the perfect car. I live miles from my nearest Tesla showroom meaning it all has to be done in the phone. Why they can’t just have all the cars shown to all I don’t know.

No idea why they don’t, I suspect maybe the number is higher than they’d like. You also can’t surf the options and combos, see which motor unit or ap hardware is fitted etc..

That’s why I built my web site... I find them using various techniques. Anything less than 1000 miles I believe qualifies for the referral. 50 miles on the clock is their usual marker for brand new.

I bought my Model X without a referral code so paid full price. I'd sort of heard of it but I didn't understand what it meant so went ahead and ordered without. It was over a year ago and I hadn't done any 'social media' or owner forum research. The dealer should have advised me about it but didn't!

Since then I've been hoping someone would use my code as a partial compensation but no takers so far.

Reactions: Terry_B58
Likewise, one of the first questions I got from the sales guy was "do you have a referral code and if not, would you like me to provide one?". I ended up with a code from one of their local customers. I would have been a bit upset had they not mentioned referrals at all during the order process.

Agree I would not have been happy to find out about referral codes after purchase. My OA has even used my code twice for new buyers that did not have codes, kind of a thank you for buying 2 Teslas in a month I guess. In any case I was really appreciative that he did that for me.

Agree I would not have been happy to find out about referral codes after purchase. My OA has even used my code twice for new buyers that did not have codes, kind of a thank you for buying 2 Teslas in a month I guess. In any case I was really appreciative that he did that for me.

now that is one heck of an order - 2017 Model S P100D (mine) and 2017 Model X 100D (hers)

After we test drove the S 75D my wife was asking all about the Model X - unfortunately I did have to say NO on this occasion but that would have been awesome so not that I am envious or anything but wow wow wow nice nice nice :)

Hi Leyliner & welcome to the forum, I was new here a short while ago and found everyone really helpful. The referral code scheme is changing at the end of this month so if you order after Oct 31st you'll no longer get the £750 discount, but you still get free supercharging for the life of owning the car. Someone kindly used my 1st referral code to allow me access to the mini-S for my little boy ... 4 left :)
Hi CotswoldSara, Again I'm a complete newbie at things like this forum, but I really liked your story and as I'm currently seriously considering a 75d, and I'm based in Bristol I thought I would try and get in contact. Is there any chance I could use one of your referral codes, as it would make a big difference to have access to a free supercharger network? Not sure how you would send it to me but perhaps some one on the forum will know. kind regards

Reactions: CotswoldSara
With respect to both questions, it really depends on when the car was ordered. All cars ordered before January 15, 2017 have free supercharging for the life of the car. After January 15, 2017, the owner of the car had free supercharging for as long as they own the car. Future sales would not have free supercharging.

You can certainly be eligible for free supercharging in both Tesla and third party purchase instances for a pre-January 15, 2017 car. And for a “newer” used car, you could be ineligible for free supercharging whether bought from Tesla or a third party.

Reactions: M4guy
With respect to both questions, it really depends on when the car was ordered. All cars ordered before January 15, 2017 have free supercharging for the life of the car. After January 15, 2017, the owner of the car had free supercharging for as long as they own the car. Future sales would not have free supercharging.

You can certainly be eligible for free supercharging in both instances. And for a “newer” used car, you could be ineligible for free supercharging whether bought from Tesla or a third party.

Thanks for that, I’ve not bought the used car yet.
I’m looking at doing so very soon, just wanted to know as if that’s a benefit of buying from Tesla it makes it worthwhile considering :)

not sure about warranties, not the battery and motor as you'll get the remainder of that but some of the used inventory states 50K 4yr limited warranty and some 2yr and up to 100K max so if you don't get that elsewhere then might be a benefit of going direct.

Reactions: M4guy
not sure about warranties, not the battery and motor as you'll get the remainder of that but some of the used inventory states 50K 4yr limited warranty and some 2yr and up to 100K max so if you don't get that elsewhere then might be a benefit of going direct.

I’m AM of a warranty company so I can always sort a warranty myself, although it would still be handy to have and something to consider :)

It’s worth being careful about free unlimited supercharging, the referral scheme gives new car owners unlimited while they own the car, plenty think it’s for the life if the car but it’s not, it’s for the life of their ownership. Any car registered with a 17 plate or after i’d check with Tesla, in fact it would be worth it for any car registered in 17. They may show you it’s free and unlimited but I don’t think that’s a guarantee.

Buying privately isn’t an option. You will have to inform Tesla otherwise the car will still be on the previous owners account and they’ll have access to the car, where it is, b3 able to open and start it etc.. It can be disabled in the car but that’s missing out on a lot.

The not so bad news is there is still an element that’s free regardless.i think £1000 of paid super charging gets you a long way!

If you have an iPhone (not sure on Android) then start doing a custom build then as you scroll down you should see a New Vehicles Available button, click on that and it will show you a few cars similar to your choices which are not necessarily on the standard 'new inventory' list. I found mine that way.

Keep changing colours, wheels and any other combination and each time you click you might get different options.

Hi CotswoldSara, Again I'm a complete newbie at things like this forum, but I really liked your story and as I'm currently seriously considering a 75d, and I'm based in Bristol I thought I would try and get in contact. Is there any chance I could use one of your referral codes, as it would make a big difference to have access to a free supercharger network? Not sure how you would send it to me but perhaps some one on the forum will know. kind regards

Hi @old trout welcome to the forum. I've been lax checking out posts this week as we're running up to a software release at work so been a bit busy :) Have DMd you.

I bought through Bristol & found the chaps there really helpful. Hopefully collecting my car in a couple of weeks time, just waiting to hear a date. Currently driving a rental Polo (cheap & cheerful to get me from A to B whilst spending as little as possible!) as I've sold my old car already, my Tesla can't come soon enough :D

If you have an iPhone (not sure on Android) then start doing a custom build then as you scroll down you should see a New Vehicles Available button, click on that and it will show you a few cars similar to your choices which are not necessarily on the standard 'new inventory' list. I found mine that way.

Keep changing colours, wheels and any other combination and each time you click you might get different options.
In my experience they’re only the same ones you can see by looking at the new inventory lists, it’s as if they tag a car as available for display or not.

In my experience they’re only the same ones you can see by looking at the new inventory lists, it’s as if they tag a car as available for display or not.

Examples that I don't see in the 'new inventory' but I do see them when using my iPhone method above:

75D £78,530 5YJSB7E2XHF225187
75D £79,480 5YJSB7E25HF222844
75D £79,480 5YJSB7E27HF222845

The strange thing now is that before I ordered mine I could manually type the URL into my computer browser but today they are redirecting back to new inventory but definitely still see them on my mobile but not on the new inventory list - weird.

Yes, I’ve found that, my crawler has stopped working (hope to have a fix soon) , but they work when clicked from any website just not from a direct hit, if you posted the link on here and then clicked it, it should work.