Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One-fob-click door close is the devil

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think a fob double-click of the hatch is a good idea, because it's not consistent with the other doors. It should be 1-click to close any door/hatch. Not 1-click to close these doors and 2-click to close these other hatches.

We need a better solution, like the recommended beep when the doors close. If you hear the beep, you'll know immediately what you did to make them close and be able to change your behavior in the future.
We can't count on being able to hear a warning if an unintended pocket FOB click happens while not being right close the car, and a child or person is present in the tailgate area.

The car already beeps when the FWDs close, but you still can get hurt, even if you hear it.

What I find inconsistent is that it takes two clicks to open doors (a prudent safety move) but only one to close them. It's also inconsistent with the S.

If we must close all doors from the fob (the requirement for which I am highly skeptical), I'd vote for a long click or triple click to close all doors.

Better yet, remove (or allow disabling) drivers door open on unlock. That removes the need to auto close any door on lock of the car. This feature is silly, and I can only speculate that it was included, um, "on executive request."
I've suggested before, a simultaneous Frunk-Trunk click. That will about never happen in anyone's pocket.

We can't count on being able to hear a warning if an unintended pocket FOB click happens while not being right close the car, and a child or person is present in the tailgate area.
Good point. However, I've heard of several members close the hatch on themselves when they were leaning into the back to load cargo and the fob pressed up against the rear bumper. This initially sounds like the biggest issue. It will at least resolve that.

With your use case, hopefully, a child will be old enough to be alarmed by the sound and clear the area.

Good point. However, I've heard of several members close the hatch on themselves when they were leaning into the back to load cargo and the fob pressed up against the rear bumper. This initially sounds like the biggest issue. It will at least resolve that.

Had exactly this happen to me just yesterday. Was unloading cargo and fob in my pocket pressed up against the rear bumper. Hatch came down on my head and a FWD came down on a passengers head who was just exiting the vehicle. At a minimum this function needs to be made optional or else a mult-press arrangement.

If we must close all doors from the fob (the requirement for which I am highly skeptical), I'd vote for a long click or triple click to close all doors.

Better yet, remove (or allow disabling) drivers door open on unlock. That removes the need to auto close any door on lock of the car.
I LOVE close-all-doors-from-fob. It's great for unloading all the kids, and I have baby in one arm, and kids on the other side didn't bother to close their door. Click and I'm off. Changing the exact click pattern required would not impede this use case, though.

I'm not even sure how I did it, but I became the latest victim yesterday while pulling a few food bags out of the second row. I somehow triggered the all-door close function, and ended up squished by the left FWD. No actual injury, but unpleasant for sure.

I'm not even sure how I did it, but I became the latest victim yesterday while pulling a few food bags out of the second row. I somehow triggered the all-door close function, and ended up squished by the left FWD. No actual injury, but unpleasant for sure.

Maybe we someone with illustration skills could create a miniaturized, Tesla version of this, which we can all place in our signatures:

upload_2016-7-14_8-59-8.png

I would have three.

I think it's totally cool. But I expect it would drive me crazy. I certainly could not have it sense me approaching. I couldn't get past the car in my garage!
You get used to it and begin to appreciate it. That said I also keep a fob pouch in my pocket to seal up the fob if I am going to be spending a lot of time in my garage near the X.

I guess I just don't understand what is causing these unexpected closings on people's heads. Aside from the driver's door, my car never closes anything without me telling it to. I never have any problem with the keyfob self-clicking, which sounds like that's the problem some are having.

Well, I had some sense knocked into me when I apparently bumped my keyfob in my pocket while getting a suitcase out of the rear hatch, and the liftgate hit me in the head. I wasn't sure the door was going to stop closing! Took way too much resistance to stop it.

At a minimum this function needs to be made optional or else a mult-press arrangement.

+100!

Well, I had some sense knocked into me when I apparently bumped my keyfob in my pocket while getting a suitcase out of the rear hatch, and the liftgate hit me in the head. I wasn't sure the door was going to stop closing! Took way too much resistance to stop it.

+100!
Right, in my original post on the topic I wrote: "I grab the door and muscle back up & open", Garage doors for decades have had child protection sensors for closing, MX needs that........

I never thought this would happen to me, but it did yesterday while loading a propane tank into the rear hatch. Normally, it's not ever an issue, but I had put my fob in the same pocket as my gargantuan iPhone and the two pressed up against each other.

Luckily, I heard a beep and quickly realized what was happening and managed to get out with a small bump. Unfortunately, this was all witnessed by an employee at the refuelling station.

This has been the most frustrating part of our X. Over the first month we've owned ours, I have closed doors on friends, family, and small children about 15 times. It's really scary and makes the car less attractive.

It's a wonderful feature when used intentionally - it's just far too easy to press the button in a pocket when leaning over. I wear normal jeans and shorts.

Really hoping they can improve this; in the meantime I'm looking for an RF pouch or hard case (ugh).

I suppose this issue could be considered a proxy for whether Tesla puts safety first. I hope to see this behavior change in the near future. In the meantime, the car should come with these. Do they come in toddler size?

Attachments

• IMG_6793.JPG
    IMG_6793.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 28
Be careful reaching into your back hatch area, if the fob is in your front pocket and you lean against the rear bumper the hatch will come down on the middle of your back (unless you can quickly reach up and stop it). But, it doesn't really hurt, just surprises you. In any case, I vote to keep the one click, I just have to remember to put the fob in my back pocket when reaching into the back hatch area. :)