Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One month old MYSR (4680) received dreaded 'maximum charge level and range may be reduced' error yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

New poster here - purchased a new MYSR (4680 battery) about one month ago, with 2,000 miles on the odometer. Yesterday I received the dreaded 'maximum charge level and range may be reduced' error message - I have an appointment with the SC tomorrow where they have informed me they will be replacing the HV battery.

Couple of questions:

1. I imagine it's exceedingly rare to have a HV battery failure in such a new car. The SC is informing me they will replace my battery with a reman battery. Has anyone had luck demanding a new battery on such a new vehicle?
2. The SC is telling me the HV battery, although reman, will have entirely new batteries in a refurbished pack. I am inclined to believe this, given I don't believe you can replace modules in the 4680 battery. Can anyone confirm?

I always seem to have the worst luck with cars, but hopefully this thread can serve as a good data point for others given how young this failed battery is. I'll be sure to keep the thread updated with progress. Thank you to all in advance!

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
1. I imagine it's exceedingly rare to have a HV battery failure in such a new car. The SC is informing me they will replace my battery with a reman battery. Has anyone had luck demanding a new battery on such a new vehicle?
2. The SC is telling me the HV battery, although reman, will have entirely new batteries in a refurbished pack. I am inclined to believe this, given I don't believe you can replace modules in the 4680 battery. Can anyone confirm?
Watch Munro Live on YT when they took apart a 4680 MY. Unless Tesla has a better way of removing it, it looks very labor intensive just to take the battery out since it's structural. It's doable, just labor intensive. It also doesn't look like they will be taking apart the battery pack to fix it as that was even more labor intensive. Since 4680 are relatively new, I doubt there are "refurbished" or "used" pack.

This 4680 structural pack is great for cutting cost in assembly, but not so much for repairing/replacing.

• Informative
Reactions: advocate8
Hi all,

New poster here - purchased a new MYSR (4680 battery) about one month ago, with 2,000 miles on the odometer. Yesterday I received the dreaded 'maximum charge level and range may be reduced' error message - I have an appointment with the SC tomorrow where they have informed me they will be replacing the HV battery.

Couple of questions:

I always seem to have the worst luck with cars, but hopefully this thread can serve as a good data point for others given how young this failed battery is. I'll be sure to keep the thread updated with progress. Thank you to all in advance!
On the Tesla web site, ordering page the current variations are:

Tesla Model Y - 279 miles (tear down has revealed this variation of the Tesla Model Y features rear unicast construction w/structural battery pack and 4680 cells)

Tesla Model Y Long Range - 330 miles

Tesla Model Y Performance - 303 miles

Design Your Model Y | Tesla

It's pretty rare to have the battery fail in a new Tesla. It can and does happen though.

Based on the videos I have seen I don't see how it could be a reman pack. The 4680 pack doesn't exactly look serviceable to me. Those Dr effective packs are probably recycled.

New poster here - purchased a new MYSR (4680 battery) about one month ago
No, you didn't. You bought what Tesla called the Model Y AWD, which is now just listed as the "Model Y". They do make a Model Y RWD in other countries that have an even smaller pack and are rear wheel drive, which would be the closest thing to an SR. (Since the Model 3 SR was renamed to the Model 3 RWD.)

No. The warranty specifically states that it is up to Tesla to decide if they use a remanufactured pack or a new pack.

I don't believe that for a second. As other have said, the modules can't just be replaced. There may be other things in the pack that can be repaired, but my guess is you will actually get a new pack. (How many failed 4680 packs even exist at this point?)

Things fail when very new or very old. It happens.

Tesla owes you a battery that has at least the usable range of the one they replace.
I would agree with this in theory - the issue being I was already experiencing rapid degradation, I assume linked to the eventual death of my battery. In one month of ownership I have experienced nearly 10% degradation in usable range - 7.7% according to the Tessie app.

So, Tesla is only obligated to give me a battery that has equal to or less than 7.7% degradation in usable range for a one-month-old car, even if the degradation in the old battery was driven by a faulty unit?

Hoping this is a moot point as it seems the 4680 batteries are irreparable, and therefore necessitate a brand new battery for replacement.

No, you didn't. You bought what Tesla called the Model Y AWD, which is now just listed as the "Model Y". They do make a Model Y RWD in other countries that have an even smaller pack and are rear wheel drive, which would be the closest thing to an SR. (Since the Model 3 SR was renamed to the Model 3 RWD.)

No. The warranty specifically states that it is up to Tesla to decide if they use a remanufactured pack or a new pack.

I don't believe that for a second. As other have said, the modules can't just be replaced. There may be other things in the pack that can be repaired, but my guess is you will actually get a new pack. (How many failed 4680 packs even exist at this point?)
Thank you for these replies - clearly still learning here as a new owner :)

Reactions: FireMedic
I would agree with this in theory - the issue being I was already experiencing rapid degradation, I assume linked to the eventual death of my battery. In one month of ownership I have experienced nearly 10% degradation in usable range - 7.7% according to the Tessie app.

So, Tesla is only obligated to give me a battery that has equal to or less than 7.7% degradation in usable range for a one-month-old car, even if the degradation in the old battery was driven by a faulty unit?

Hoping this is a moot point as it seems the 4680 batteries are irreparable, and therefore necessitate a brand new battery for replacement.
Given the age of the car, I'd push back if the car doesn't show a range at 100% within a few miles of other new MYAWDs. It's obvious that the degradation you experienced was due to the failure of that pack, and anything less than like new performance would not be acceptable. If they tried to hand me a 10% degraded pack in that circumstance, I think I'd be calling a lawyer.

All that said, I'm also confident that you'll be given a new battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: FireMedic
Watch Munro Live on YT when they took apart a 4680 MY. Unless Tesla has a better way of removing it, it looks very labor intensive just to take the battery out since it's structural. It's doable, just labor intensive. It also doesn't look like they will be taking apart the battery pack to fix it as that was even more labor intensive. Since 4680 are relatively new, I doubt there are "refurbished" or "used" pack.

This 4680 structural pack is great for cutting cost in assembly, but not so much for repairing/replacing.
To this point, I suggest making sure the car is empty of any personal items before going to service. Part of the interior (seats, etc.) are attached to the battery and will need to be moved to the replacement unit. As for new customers: I do not yet see a reason for customers to want to select an 4680-based pack instead of a 2170-based pack, if they could choose either/or. If there were range advantages or charging advantages for one vs the other, I might have a different thought.

You have no choice. Tesla will do this as a warranty repair. They may put in a new or refurbished pack, depending on what is available.
They will replace it with one that has equal or better capability.
I believe that is what is in the warranty terms. You may wish to verify, and also clarify all this in chat with service (that the replacement will be equal or better). At only 2k miles, I'd expect like-new range capability from any replacement.