Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One more totaled or not? How to fight insurance? [OP reports totaled 12.19.2022]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I work with fighting Insurance companies all the time.

There's zero way in the US that's repairable using a Non-DRP (Not insurance preferred shop). Bring it to a shop of your choice that DOES NOT work with any insurance company. (You can see that usually on their website or walking in). The difference between a DRP/Chop shop is them ignoring OEM Repair procedures or ignoring damage to get the job.

The quote to repair this car correctly just based on visual would be north of 45-55k on first estimate without even tearing it down.

Edit: Research your states laws, here in NY we have strong consumer laws known as Reg 64 which guides insurance companies on what they need to do and the insured on their rights. If you fall through with the other parties insurance company you file through your own and they'll get the money back from the other company. Personally I avoid 3rd parties unless I know it's a good company (Rarely).

There are only 3 repair shops who will and are approved to work on Tesla in our area.

It didn't look like the rear of the car was involved at all so I wouldn't expect any of these parts to need service/replacement beyond the coolant which would be lost due to the crushed radiator.

Regarding rental cars, I'd expect the other guy's insurance to cover a rental of some sort until your car is fixed. That right there is probably $10k. I'm not sure how that plays into declaring this a totaling accident though.
Ah, thanks, these are in the Penthouse. A better look at the manual:

Steering rack AND lower column
ABS, traction control
Brake pipes and
Front bumper carrier, Fascia, Grill, tow hooks
Front energy absorber
Front inner panels (43 in total), including the rails, many of which are structural
Crushed radiator
Motor bay absorbers
Front wheel arch liners
Front undertray and diffuser
Hood hinges and fittings, latch and releases, not just the panel
Refrigerant system,
Air distribution system,
Cooling system (condenser, compressor, cooling fan, EXV, transducers,connections) and HV connectors
HVAC assembly
Parking sensors, front antennae, siren, ECUs
Side repeaters, cameras
Fog/turn lights
12v system

Head on, other driver speeding and crossed center line and determined to be at fault. His insurance handling the claim. Tow lot appraisal states "repairable" and we would expect next steps to take to Tesla certified body repair for their opinion, and know one locally.

Structural damage possible here worries me...

You?

Thoughts on what to tell other drivers insurance company?View attachment 879451View attachment 879452View attachment 879453
WOW! I am not an insurance expert but to me it looks totaled.

I am simply happy you are OK! Not an ambulance chaser by any stretch of the imagination, but make sure that if you have any health issues related to the accident you document them and see a doctor.

Again thankfully you are OK!!!!

Reactions: DocHolliday
Hey op. We’re on the same boat but my model 3 was rear ended with less damage than yours. I was quoted 19k and waiting for tear down estimate which is at least 5 months away. I’m trying to fight for rental car coverage as well as car storage which will sum up to 20k

Reactions: Erleichda
Hey op. We’re on the same boat but my model 3 was rear ended with less damage than yours. I was quoted 19k and waiting for tear down estimate which is at least 5 months away. I’m trying to fight for rental car coverage as well as car storage which will sum up to 20k
Oooh, I hadn't even thought of the car storage fees. Add another 10k.

Reactions: Erleichda
LOL... of course it's "repairable". I would start the repair process in Fremont with sheet metal and an assembly line full of robots.

Sorry you have to "do the dance" with the bean counters. I find it very unlikely they'll want to spend $80k to fix your $50k vehicle, but it's probably going to take them a lot of time and resources to learn that.

Good luck!

I wonder if even the 11 months without your own car is enough to call it totalled. Surely there's SOME limit.

Yeah - the limit is the # of days your rental car is covered. Usually ~30 days, then rental costs becomes your own problem.

The totaled or not will be determined by the insurance company, and insurance company only. Not you, not police, not the body shop, and not the tow truck driver.
The usual threshold of totaling the car is when estimate costs of repairs exceed 60-75% (varies by state and insurance company) of car's wholesale value.

There are only 3 repair shops who will and are approved to work on Tesla in our area.
Hey op. We’re on the same boat but my model 3 was rear ended with less damage than yours. I was quoted 19k and waiting for tear down estimate which is at least 5 months away.

And that, gentlemen, is why one can ill afford to own Tesla as the only car.
Sadly, the service/repair cycle time is significantly longer with Tesla than other OEMs.

It is in most states, lack of parts is the reason for total loss.

That is not true, and statement makes no sense.
The body shop can wait for parts for as long as it takes to get them. Months, if necessary. It doesn't cost insurance company anything to stretch out the repair process into 3-12 months cycle time.

a

Tesla is causing our insurance rates to increase then. By sending parts to new builds and not enough to repairs, Tesla is forcing insurers to total cars, thus increasing the cost to insure a Tesla.

Yeah - the limit is the # of days your rental car is covered. Usually ~30 days, then rental costs becomes your own problem.

The totaled or not will be determined by the insurance company, and insurance company only. Not you, not police, not the body shop, and not the tow truck driver.
The usual threshold of totaling the car is when estimate costs of repairs exceed 60-75% (varies by state and insurance company) of car's wholesale value.

And that, gentlemen, is why one can ill afford to own Tesla as the only car.
Sadly, the service/repair cycle time is significantly longer with Tesla than other OEMs.

That is not true, and statement makes no sense.
The body shop can wait for parts for as long as it takes to get them. Months, if necessary. It doesn't cost insurance company anything to stretch out the repair process into 3-12 months cycle time.

a

I've literally worked on claims where we total out a car due to part delay. You can get away with a 3 month delay MAYBE if we're nice but otherwise we'd be filing in court for our client if they refuse to total before that.

• Informative
Reactions: CyberGus