Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One week old today, and then backed into....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A final update. It was in the shop for a little over 30 days. Then I had to wait a few weeks and take it back to get the clear shield put back on it. They did a good job of putting it back together. After keeping it for a couple of days, I did notice a couple of small things that I noticed. They fixed one but couldn't fix the other two. They were so minor that I overlooked them because I didn't want to give up my car again.

Yes, it's taken over 4 months to resolve this all the way to its conclusion. The last piece of the puzzle was agreeing on a diminished value with the other party's insurance company. After a couple of weeks of negotiation, and the retention of a diminished value expert, I was able to get a settlement of almost the exact amount of damages in diminished value.

So, for anyone in the United States who needs an expert on diminished value (he's done several Tesla's now) I have a great resource. I don't know the rules on the board for advertising, so feel free to PM me for his contact information. His fee was recovered several times over. The insurance company's first position on diminished value was, "I have received your diminished value claim and I will send it over to the appropriate department." A few days later, a voicemail on my phone said, "Hello, the department reviewed your request and did not find any diminished value associated with your claim."

That is when I contacted my diminished value expert, paid for a report (very reasonable fee), got back a 19 page report, and sent it along to the insurance company. Then they "magically" found some diminished value, but about half of what we had asked for. Anyway, after some more negotiating we eventually settled for an amount that makes me happy.

All in all, my recommendation is..........never ever drive your Model S...keep it in a locked garage and only look at it once a month. :wink:

Bad luck on the knock but glad you got it back and all done. I know exactly what you went through as I had much the same thing happen on my 2013 S85. It was 3 weeks old with 900 miles on it when the accident happened. I did eventually get some diminished value compensation although it took about a year to wring it out of the other person's insurance company (I had a lawyer). Read all about my tale of woe...

I'm in mourning!

That strategy didn't work too well for Ferris Bueller's father :)

And what's the fun in having a kick-butt car to drive if all you can do is look at it? If I could find a way to drive it w/o ever having to park other than at the house, that would be the way to do it.

Thanks for the update on your car repair adventures JMG... Great tip on diminished value.

Instead of coming out of Costco and finding that dent, imagine instead you reached into your pocket for your key and felt a lump you never noticed before. So you go to the doctor only to find out it's cancer and you have six months to live -- and only 6 months to drive your new, undented Tesla (although that's the least of your worries).

Then I magically appear and tell you that I can change that lump to a dent in your new Tesla. You're skeptical but what the heck, you have nothing to lose, and who cares about a dent, so you take me up on my offer. I wave my magic wand and immediately the lump is gone and the dent appears. So you are in the exact same situation you are in now, but you feel great -- really, really happy with a new lease on life. Soon your car will be like new again when the dent is repaired and you have your whole life ahead of you to enjoy the car.

There, now I hope I made you feel better... ;)

(But it does suck.)

Something fell on my 3 week old Model 3 today, and your passage above is one of the best things I’ve ever read. Pure genius. I’m guessing you’re also in Vancouver?

But damn it hurts!

CD91ECB6-9943-4DF2-8FE3-03D21989F135.jpeg

I had the exact same damage and repairs done to my car recently. (OP's accident) $12k in damages and 6 months of driving back and forth to Denver. It's finally done. It's not perfect but it's close. I'm going for the DV claim now. I'll let you know how that goes. Hoping to get a few k at least.