Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV incentives upped to $14K... and decreased to $3k for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting "Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) Incentives for Vehicles purchased and leased on or after February 10, 2016" purchased means delivered or the date we ordered / confirmed?

Eligible Electric Vehicles

For a 90D for example, it's the date that you ordered and you have six months from then to apply for the additional $5500.

Existing orders for luxury vehicles where delivery is pending
Applicants have six months from the date the vehicle was purchased or leased or ordered to submit an incentive application.
•The incentive amount will be based on the program parameters at the purchase or lease date.
•If, for example, a luxury vehicle that was purchased four (4) months ago was delivered today, the applicant would have two (2) months to submit their application for the incentive.
•Retroactive incentive amounts for vehicles that are in inventory but have not been purchased cannot be provided.

Interesting "Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) Incentives for Vehicles purchased and leased on or after February 10, 2016" purchased means delivered or the date we ordered / confirmed?

Eligible Electric Vehicles

Table shows the BMW i3 getting the full $13,000 rebate so as long as a Model 3's purchase price doesn't exceed $75K we'll be able to claim the same amount plus an additional $1000 for it being 5 seats (I'm pretty positive it will be 5 seats). I'll be ordering a HPWC with the car so I can get the $1000 rebate for that too.

Too bad the Model S rebate drops to only $3K now but Bolt buyers should be able to get $13,000 too.

Looking at the list of supported cars and incentives, it's reasonable to see a benefit to the traditional North American car manufacturers and the oil/gas industry, because many of the rebates go to cars whose power is mostly gasoline. That was also true before to an extent. More weighting should have been given to the all-electrics, and many of the hybrids with small electric range should have been eliminated.

It's going to get really interesting for the Model 3 with our dollar this low. Base will be $50k. Toss in all-wheel drive and maybe one size battery up and you'll be at $65k at least. It's entirely possible some P390D model wouldn't qualify for the full rebate.

That said, I fully agree with the rebate being aimed at vehicles 75k or lower. Anybody who can afford a Model S is unlikely to be swayed by $5.5k. On the other hand, taking the rebate to $13k for lower priced vehicles will prompt a lot of ICE buyers to consider and accelerate their change plans. If you really want to make a dent in car buying patterns, you have to target the bulk of buyers. I'd rather the government target that potential Nissan Versa buyer and get her to pick the Leaf or get that BMW 3 series buyer to switch to Model 3, than provide more incentives to the Model S and Model X buyers who would have bought their cars anyway. 13k of 75k is 17%. If that same rebate were to go to Model X buyer, it'd would be around ~10%. Hardly the same impact.

So the i3 is the only car that gets the biggest rebate? Seems odd.
It wouldn't be likely at today's exchange rate, but I wonder if Tesla could sell a "stripped down" model S/X for $74,999 and then let you buy "after-market" options that you may want for your car. Seat heaters, audio system, Autopilot functionality, a pano roof that actually opens, etc - aftermarket options. Some of that could then be turned on via a software upgrade, just like going from 40kWH to 60kWh.

It's crazy to punish Tesla post COP21. I say let's try to get it fixed:

Ktowntslafan on Twitter:

image.png

Not sure if this was posted yet but:

According to this http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/electric-vehicle-rebate.shtml, a vehicle purchased or ordered before Feb 10'th with an MSRP greater than $75000 will receive the incentive available at the time of purchase (i.e. I ordered on Dec 25'th 2015), Therefore, so long as the incentive application is submitted within 6 months of purchase (I get delivery late April/early May) I should get the full incentive amount of $8500.

Not sure if this was posted yet but:

According to this http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/electric-vehicle-rebate.shtml, a vehicle purchased or ordered before Feb 10'th with an MSRP greater than $75000 will receive the incentive available at the time of purchase (i.e. I ordered on Dec 25'th 2015), Therefore, so long as the incentive application is submitted within 6 months of purchase (I get delivery late April/early May) I should get the full incentive amount of $8500.

Yah! i ordered on Feb 6th.. right before the bump in price and $5k less rebate! PHEW!!!

I just have to make sure it gets here June/July to file the paperwork.. rather get it 2 months early than miss the big rebate.

They based the amount on having more than 4 seats and more than a certain pack size.

The formula is so arbitrary that it really makes you wonder if there wasn't some industry lobbyists getting in there.

No one expected the bonus for "longer" range to apply to 16 kWh vehicles, let alone PHEVs. However, when you mention industry, it's probably no coincidence that the Chrysler mini-van that will be built in Windsor has a 16-kWh pack, as well as extra-seating.

No one expected the bonus for "longer" range to apply to 16 kWh vehicles, let alone PHEVs. However, when you mention industry, it's probably no coincidence that the Chrysler mini-van that will be built in Windsor has a 16-kWh pack, as well as extra-seating.
image.jpeg

Brad Duguid on Twitter:

and here's some more clarification:

Brad Duguid on Twitter:

Brad Duguid on Twitter:

Steven Del Duca on Twitter:

Conclusion: Ontario's new EVIP program is optimized to save Ontario's jobs-not Ontario's environment.

The good news: If Tesla sets up shop in Ontario they will be "protected" if you know what I mean. And who knows...maybe that's what this is all about-encouraging Tesla to locate in Ontario. Tariffs work for the EU and China...why not ON? :tongue:

Last edited: