Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV incentives upped to $14K... and decreased to $3k for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. Just got off the phone with mine and update is 'unofficially' it's looking like some cut off dates are being negotiated and will be made official shortly. Ie. All cars delivered by for example March 31st will qualify for original 8.5k to allow for a phasing out period.
Stay tuned...
Looks like unofficially, the word is that anyone who placed an order before the announcement will still receive the rebate.

I'm feeling lucky. Can't wait for my delivery.

I actually believe that there are better places to spend the incentive than on individual purchasers, personally I'd use it to fund infrastructure instead, I bet the same dollar value could generate a lot of high power charging stations at highway rest stops if they put their mind to it, and I bet that would be more likely to encourage adoption than an incentive, but really, anything is a step the right direction, and I'm jealous of provinces that are doing SOMETHING

Ontario recently announced (and has actually put into action) a plan to invest $20M into a public charging network. The focus will be on L3 chargers, with the aim keeping distances between them 60-80 km. So they're already taking care of that :tongue:

Don't mean to make you more jealous or anything, sorry in advanced!

Confirmed unofficially. Looks like that was the compromise reached. Anyone who placed a deposit prior to the Jan 10th will still receive the 8.5k. We will probably receive official word tomorrow.

Looks like unofficially, the word is that anyone who placed an order before the announcement will still receive the rebate.

I'm feeling lucky. Can't wait for my delivery.

Given the excessive amount of taxation high income earners get stuck with in Canada this is a stab in the back, especially because it is being done to their EV purchase. I understand (but don't like) raising taxes on dividends, closing loop holes that allowed for family trusts, etc. Those bring in a significant amount of revenue and perhaps allow for wealthier Canadians to pay less (proportionally) than lower income people. But not allowing the same rebate on an EV purchase is petty and reeks of class warfare.

The harder you work, the more you're punished and this is a classic example of punishment as opposed to fairness.[/
QUOTE]

This ^^^^^
divisive - you know, the derogatory term liberals use to describe the PCs

Good grief people! This has nothing to do with GM or any other automaker. I have worked with Ministry staff in Ontario on EV working groups and such and can tell you that while the decision was likely "political", it had nothing to do with automaker lobbying. If anything, it has to do with a left-wing government not wanting to be perceived as treating the "rich" better than they do the "poor".

I think that the Libs looked at the program, realized that the majority of the $8,500 credits went to "rich" Model S buyers (probably a little more right wing leaning), and decided that they could take the same of amount of money and re-target it at their own voters. There is zero sense in them doing anything good for somebody who will never vote for them. I'm sure GM and true environmental issues never entered the equation.

If you hope to get a model 3 in a short period of time after release, you'll have to order it highly optioned. This could easily tip the scale to > $75K.
And Canadians are unlikely to get it anywhere close to release. Look at the Model X - it was technically released on Sep 30 of last year. I believe we are still a little ways away from the first delivery so it will be about 6 months between "release" and even the first car coming to Canada. And the Model 3 may be even worse than the Model X/S given the higher volume.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that the Libs looked at the program, realized that the majority of the $8,500 credits went to "rich" Model S buyers
I don't think that is the case as there are more no Tesla EVs sold than Teslas. Maybe someone can find more recent data, and specifically for Ontario, but here is the data as of June 2015. http://www.fleetcarma.com/electric-vehicle-sales-canada-june-2015/

Looking at one of the charts there it looks like less than 25% of the EVs sold in Canada over the last few years have been Teslas. However it looks like Tesla started selling a lot more Model S's in the first quarter of 2015 (~200 per month) - likely due to the introduction of the D.

Sure they can use them, but for the most part Teslas will use the Supercharger network. The Ontario financed CCS/CHAdeMO will mostly be for the benefit of LEAFs and similar vehicles.

I don't think it's that cut & dried. I think Tesla owners (some? most?) will use whatever is most convenient, and they can use CHAdeMO. And the more chargers there are in existence, the better. Yes, it would be great if the ICE car companies would even assist in the build-out of charging stations; but their resistance to doing so is just another indictment of them. Since the ultimate goal is to transition to sustainable transport, having government assist that seems worthwhile, especially since the ICE companies' foolishness is preventing them--those big advocates of the private market--from doing it themselves. So, I support publicly financed chargers because I'll take whatever method(s) get us to the end goal; but it also further cements my loyalty to Tesla over the other car companies.

Some of you guys are flirting with the banish-everything-to-political-quarantine threshold. Just so you know, if you cross it I banish ALL political commentary, regardless of merit and whatever else gets caught up in it. You have been warned.

Sure they can use them, but for the most part Teslas will use the Supercharger network. The Ontario financed CCS/CHAdeMO will mostly be for the benefit of LEAFs and similar vehicles.

Of course, but I think having a more thorough charging network will help put a lot of EV newbies range concerns at ease, and will help sway them towards all EVs, including Teslas. And more EVs on the road benefit us all! :smile:

... So, I support publicly financed chargers.

I don't disagree, but how many extra benefits should i3 owners (and ultimately BMW) be accorded at the expense of Tesla? Not many, so the government spending $20,000,000 on CCS/CHAdeMO and nothing on Superchargers is enough. No need to slash the rebate on the Model S when the Cadillac ELR and a platinum world whatever i3 still qualify for the full original amount.

I don't disagree, but how many extra benefits should i3 owners (and ultimately BMW) be accorded at the expense of Tesla? Not many, so the government spending $20,000,000 on CCS/CHAdeMO and nothing on Superchargers is enough. No need to slash the rebate on the Model S when the Cadillac ELR and a platinum world whatever i3 still qualify for the full original amount.

+100