Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EVIP rebates update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I posted on another thread, It seems that Tesla buyers aren't the people the Ontario government's so called "orderly wind down" of the EHVIP ended up screwing over. The last couple pages here shows that people buying from other dealers have been having problems getting their rebates, with many being denied for not being on the Ministry order list that dealers were supposed to send in by July 16, that many people did not even know about until after the date had passed, smh.

As I posted on another thread, It seems that Tesla buyers aren't the people the Ontario government's so called "orderly wind down" of the EHVIP ended up screwing over. The last couple pages here shows that people buying from other dealers have been having problems getting their rebates, with many being denied for not being on the Ministry order list that dealers were supposed to send in by July 16, that many people did not even know about until after the date had passed, smh.
Wow.... That would be a real piss off.

Thanks for your link, I always thought that those people would have gotten their rebates long long time ago.

This is a prime example of disadvantage becomes an advantage.

1/ Tesla was denied getting the rebates back in June, of course, Tesla didn't NEED to provide a list by July 16.
2/ Tesla take care of the situation and try to find solution for us. It's not depending on DEALERS to do this and that.
3/ I am sure a list is provided to Ontario when they settled, again provided by Tesla, not by individual dealer.
4/ the fight continue with those Cancelled orders, I am being one of them.
5/ Get email confirm that we are qualified to get the rebate if we re-order; give us detail instruction on how to do that.
6/ Again, a list is provide to Ontario by Tesla, and we have up to Jan 3, 2019 to get it delivered and plated.
7/ I get the rebate in less than 4 months.

Had the Ontario not singled out Tesla in the beginning, some of us may miss the deadline and Tesla would have to scramble to get the cars to us, which I am sure they would. I guess when the government looked at the sheer number of Tesla orders, which would have been huge and they were trying to disqualify us.

What you've noted above mirror my thoughts exactly.

I recall during the discussion on this forum immediately after the program was cancelled and even included in plain language within the lawsuit that was ultimately filed, it was noted that Tesla was initially sent the email about sending in a list of orders by the set date and then when they reached out to the ministry for more details as to how to get their cars included, the response was... never mind, you're not included.

How ironic that the exact entity the Ford government set out to exclude resulted in being the one that got a disproportionately longer wind down period up to the start of January 2019. I, and I'd imagine, any other would have preferred a more reasonable wind down period (e.g. until the end of 2018) that was equitable to all involved. After all, the money is already there in the cap and trade fund and by law cannot be used for other than environment benefiting programs.

Now it is the customers of these same "independent franchised dealers" that are suffering and from the looks of it and the comments on the linked thread, the manufacturer is not going to bat for them like Tesla did for us. Such a sad state of affairs and I really feel for them.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Let's not forget those who ordered Tesla before July 11 and got delivered after Sep have up till Dec 15 to get the car delivered and plated if I remembered correctly.

Individual dealer is not setup to handle the $14,000 mess. I would be very upset if I didn't get the rebate as expected. I did cancel the order initially knowing that I can get the car cheaper (as it turned out) later on or at least with more options to choose from, like MR, MR+.

As it turned out, some of us get a big discount, up to $7000, if they order this year and get the 'old' 2018 model. When the money is still in your hand, you are still in control for better or worse.

What a mess, Ford Nation!

Got a surprise letter from the program today - basically a short "we're watching you" note reminding me that the terms of the program still apply even though it was shut down, mainly the requirement to keep the vehicle for 12 months. I figured that was the case anyway but I did wonder if they'd really keep the lights on to do checks.

Reactions: TDog
Got a surprise letter from the program today - basically a short "we're watching you" note reminding me that the terms of the program still apply even though it was shut down, mainly the requirement to keep the vehicle for 12 months. I figured that was the case anyway but I did wonder if they'd really keep the lights on to do checks.

A reminder letter? Where was the letter-writing imperative when people needed to be reassured regarding their rebates while waiting patiently for months wondering if their application was ever going to hit the MOT desk at the bottom of the abyss? Now they're hounding us as if they expect EV owners who got the rebate to be inherently untrustworthy and wily, just like some bureaucracies perhaps?