Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

open doors from touchscreen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've looked all over for this but haven't seen this in any of the videos or writeups.

Can you open the doors from the touchscreen in the way that you can do so in the Model X (I don't know about the S)?

I know it's a first world problem, etc. but I don't like opening and closing my doors from the inside by having the touch the door handle. I've grown accustomed to pushing a button the screen to let people out and closing the doors before leaving.

the model x is the only vehicle where the door open/close mechanism is electronic (not sure if it's a motor or hydraulic or something else). yes the S and the 3 have electronic door poppers, but those only open and not close; way less complicated than the X (doesn't need real time continuous monitoring/updating or the plethora of sensors). sometimes the poppers are weak when using the outside handle that you need to press it more than once.

if someone didn't know how to use the outside handle but saw the door popped open, they might injure their fingers when trying to pry the door open on the small open crack that is there. or they might press the outside handle in the wrong place and close the door again. both current methods are practical in the sense that once the door opens, whether it is from the outside or inside, you have a handle to use to make it easy to open the door.

i would be surprised if the door poppers are connected to the main system for remote access because currently it is only activated from the outside handle or inside door button, not from the screen or app, but who knows...maybe a future software unlock?

Last edited:
So what does the manual mean when it says: "You can also use the touchscreen popup to open and close doors when inside Model 3 while the vehicle is in Park."?

I'm guessing it must be a typo as I can't find it, and there's no way it could close the doors...
You're right! It states it in the manual but I can't figure out what "popup" it's referring to. You can lock/unlock but not actually open (or close).

So what does the manual mean when it says: "You can also use the touchscreen popup to open and close doors when inside Model 3 while the vehicle is in Park."?

I'm guessing it must be a typo as I can't find it, and there's no way it could close the doors...
The only door popping that works is via the app as far as I'm aware. The car has no way to close the door obviously.
  1. In the mobile app, touch and hold any of the four quick control buttons and follow the instructions to customize quick controls with Unlatch Door.
  2. When you are next to your car, touch Unlatch Door to pop open the driver door.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Reactions: Aqueum