Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OpenEVSE Open Source Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm mostly just idly curious, but does anybody know if a Tesla cable, as for instance sold by Quick Charge Power, would work with an OpenEVSE or other non-Tesla EVSE? The listing specifies, multiple times, that it doesn't work with a Gen1 HPWC, but it's not clear why there's an incompatibility, or whether that incompatibility is something that would prevent the cable from working with a non-Tesla EVSE.

I'm mostly just idly curious, but does anybody know if a Tesla cable, as for instance sold by Quick Charge Power, would work with an OpenEVSE or other non-Tesla EVSE? The listing specifies, multiple times, that it doesn't work with a Gen1 HPWC, but it's not clear why there's an incompatibility, or whether that incompatibility is something that would prevent the cable from working with a non-Tesla EVSE.

Tesla has a J1772 adapter for both directions (to J1772 from Tesla and from J1772 to Tesla), so it stands to reason that it is 100% possible to use it in place of a J1772 cable if you are able to understand the mapping on the other end.

The cable is for 80A and Teslas don't yet use 80A for L2 charging. Probably it is more about how the wire fits into the box.

I don't see why not. Email Tony @ Quick Charge Power and let us know what he says. Honestly, I don't know why it wouldn't work on a Gen 1 HPWC.

to J1772 from Tesla
Wrong. Quick Charge Power sells one - JDapter Stub - but Tesla does not sell an adapter to go from a HPWC or UMC to a J1772 car, like a Bolt, Leaf, etc

Teslas don't yet use 80A for L2 charging.
Really? That's funny, my car pulled 80A just a couple of days ago. Here's me charging at 21kW - 80A@277V:

171738.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I ordered 5x of the PCB circuit board for "OpenEVSE v5 - Universal EVSE Controller" ($99) from China, just to see what it would be like to print a circuit board. Source file was "OpenEVSE_PLUS_v5_GERBERS.zip" from OpenEVSE git repository.

The price came out to $8.92 per board (including shipping), but could be as low as $1-$2 for larger orders. You still need to buy all the components, I assume, and assemble them, install firmware, etc.

It anyone wants this board for some reason, I have (should have by tomorrow) 4 extra.

I ordered 5x of the PCB circuit board for "OpenEVSE v5 - Universal EVSE Controller" ($99) from China, just to see what it would be like to print a circuit board. Source file was "OpenEVSE_PLUS_v5_GERBERS.zip" from OpenEVSE git repository.

The price came out to $8.92 per board (including shipping), but could be as low as $1-$2 for larger orders. You still need to buy all the components, I assume, and assemble them, install firmware, etc.

It anyone wants this board for some reason, I have (should have by tomorrow) 4 extra.
Where did you order from? I want to get some PCB's made at some point. Thanks

Anyone have any idea what components are needed for OpenEVSE v5 PCB board? I mean, rather, how to find the full list.

I can notice a few components from the images and as printed on the PCB, but can't seem to figure out the spec file.

OpenEVSE/OpenEVSE_PLUS

I suppose its just really small on the PDF and maybe I need to load the .sch. Just doing this for fun - won't charge the car with it.

I see "atmega328p-au" in the sch pdf, but this is a square chip when I google it, and I don't see it on the image.