Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions on 5-seater vs. 7-seater?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd go for the 7 seater. I have a 2016 (pre-fold flat) 6 seater. In the pre-fold flat world I think it gives the best utility (long items can lay between the two mono-post seats). In the fold-flat world I think the 7 seater gives the best utility. If you have kids the 7 seater is a no-brainer because of the ability to transport more little ones (and they all want to ride in the X!).

I'd go for the 7 seater. I have a 2016 (pre-fold flat) 6 seater. In the pre-fold flat world I think it gives the best utility (long items can lay between the two mono-post seats). In the fold-flat world I think the 7 seater gives the best utility. If you have kids the 7 seater is a no-brainer because of the ability to transport more little ones (and they all want to ride in the X!).
Thanks to both of you for advice. She ended up going for the 5-seater. Kids are real tall teenagers who aren't gonna want to seat in 3rd row, so she saved a little money and went with 5-seater.

If you still have time, remember that the 5 seater doesn’t have the rear AC unit... if you are in Virginia and NC, the extra cooling may not matter, but we got the new 7 for just that reason. Matters more in Texas and Arizona, of course. :D

We will probably never use the third row (may be nice to have for rare occasions), but the rear AC was a definite requirement, even here in NoVa.

If you still have time, remember that the 5 seater doesn’t have the rear AC unit... if you are in Virginia and NC, the extra cooling may not matter, but we got the new 7 for just that reason. Matters more in Texas and Arizona, of course. :D

We will probably never use the third row (may be nice to have for rare occasions), but the rear AC was a definite requirement, even here in NoVa.
Too late now. Backseat AC in our S hasn't been great, but good enough that I'm not overly worried about the extra AC unit. But thanks for telling me. Might have been bigger issue for wife. Not sure.

Too late now. Backseat AC in our S hasn't been great, but good enough that I'm not overly worried about the extra AC unit. But thanks for telling me. Might have been bigger issue for wife. Not sure.
Too late now? You have three days to change.... :D Or does your September 21 date mean confirmed?

In any case, it may not be a big deal in our part of the country, but I didn't want to have that issue in a car I expect (who knows) to keep for a long time. Best of luck, and let everyone know how it goes next summer!

I have an 5 seater. It is great for what it is... BUT... I am planning a on a fall color driving trek. If I had the 6 or 7 seater all of my family and friends going could fit in one car. Instead we’ll be taking two SUV’s.

I got the 5 seater because I felt there was no way I am paying $120K for a car. I really wanted/needed to spend less. I thought the Model S would be the most expensive car I bought. But over 5-6 year financing it really isn’t much of a difference.

I have a little bit of regret not getting the 7 seater. It offers more functionality at little sacrifice. I’m not really sure I’ll ever use the under the floor space where the third row would have been.

The 5 seater is by no means a deal breaker, not in any way, shape or form. My X is one of the last to have the gloss seats and chrome falcon wing toggles. There is no way I will give these up for a newer model. Looks so much better than the matte backs and newer FWD buttons. I also needed the cloth back because I carry long breakdown kayaks in the trunk. So for me the older 6 seater and 7 seater when I was looking would not have worked for me.

Does the rear AC help cool the 2nd row, or just the 3rd? I'm also trying to decide between the 5 & 7 seaters; we probably won't use the 3rd row seats very often, but if it has better AC for the 2nd row it would be worth getting it.

Yes, it does help 2nd row immensely. 5 seater has a reputation for poor airflow to the second row.

6/7 seater has an extra fan, extra ducting and extra vents - as well as software - for the rear...

A/C Effectiveness in 5-seat configuration - Predictions?

Yes, it does help 2nd row immensely. 5 seater has a reputation for poor airflow to the second row.

6/7 seater has an extra fan, extra ducting and extra vents - as well as software - for the rear...

Interestingly the tail end of that thread has feedback from a few people with 5-seaters who say the AC is just fine.

Does the extra fan/ducting/vents run to the 2nd row vents or just the 3rd row? My OA claims that the rear heat/AC in the 7-seater only drives the 3rd row vents, and the 2nd row vents are still driven by the same fan as the front vents.

Interestingly the tail end of that thread has feedback from a few people with 5-seaters who say the AC is just fine.

You'd have to ignore a ton of messaging otherwise to pay much attention to those... But sure, certainly the five seater can be OK for many people. But it is worse in this regard.

Does the extra fan/ducting/vents run to the 2nd row vents or just the 3rd row? My OA claims that the rear heat/AC in the 7-seater only drives the 3rd row vents, and the 2nd row vents are still driven by the same fan as the front vents.

I assume your OA is wrong based on the evidence we have. The rear fan runs second and third rows, whereas on five seater the sole front fan runs second row as well. There is enough of measurements having been made that the air coming out of the second row vents is significantly worse on five seater than it is on six/seven seaters. It also makes sense: six/seven seaters have separate controls for front and another control for rear (second and third rows)... it makes sense the latter is operated by the rear fan...

I don’t think it will be an issue. The X 5 seater is still a step ahead of the Model S. Two more rear vents than the Model S. The AC compressor is the exact same between different models. Is the 6 or 7 seater better? In that sense yes. But is it necessary? No. Maybe it makes a few people feel better to have the additional setup but it does not seem to matter much in the end.

That fall color road trip- turns out there are 5 people total and no need for additional seating or cars. That makes me happy that we can take my X as the only car.

Last edited:
The AC compressor is the exact same between different models. Only difference being the the extra fan unit and ducting.

That's the point, though. Airflow is said to be significantly less on second-row of five-seaters than 6 or 7. The rear HVAC fan makes a significant difference in air movement on the second row.

It can be remedied a bit by closing vents on the front row.

The point of the HVAC issue is that it’s the same air volume and the same amount of glass exposed to the sun. Back when the five seater was the only ‘cargo’ option, we wanted the extra AC to be optional. Then the seven seater (fold down) came out and it didn’t matter. :D

You might want to see if you can do an overnight demo of a five seater to check out the HVAC.

Whether or not the lower airflow is an issue is a personal question. It depends on where you use the car and how. For some people it is an issue, for others it is not an issue.

However, it is a fact the 5 seater has less airflow on the second row than 6/7 seaters (and obviously much less in the trunk e.g. if you have animals). There is no reason to doubt the measurements or logic how and why that is.

Whether or not it is an issue for you, comes evident only with experience I fear.

Reactions: boaterva