Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions on extended warranty IF you purchased the extd. warranty:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking delivery of my Model S 75D tomorrow and am quite excited. I have been mulling over the idea of getting the 4 year extended warranty. I typically get extended warranties on my cars simply because I like the peace of mind that comes with knowing your car is under warranty. I usually USE these warranties as well, so to me, they have always been a good purchase.
The 4 year extended warranted is pretty pricey compared to other cars I've had however, the thought of a $4000 a/c repair doesn't sound particularly appealing to me. SO: If you have purchased the extended warranty on your Tesla, have you used it, and would you buy it again, (whether you've used it or not?) Thanks in advance!

Currently, there's no independent repair shops to compete and bring repair costs down, so I have purchased extended warranty for both my 2012 Model S and 2017 Model X.

My 2012 Model S suffered a $4,000 repair for MCU (17" display module) at 60,000 miles. Notice that if you don't need to replace the whole MCU but only the screen, it is much cheaper.

At 80,000 miles it suffered a $4,500 repair for cabin heater.

It's not a lemon car but for 2 repairs that are worth $8,500, it's just crazy!

Since I bought the extended warranty, I am way ahead!

It's just like healthcare insurance: Most people are healthy but if they suffer a cancer or 2, it's unimaginably very expensive if they don't have coverage!

I agree that it is very much like insurance.

I considered a warranty for my Roadster, but Tesla never offered it in my state. Good thing, because I kept the car longer than the warranty would have lasted, and didn't have any expenses. I saved a lot if money by not getting the warranty.

We did have a couple of things happen with our 2012 S85 during the warranty period, but again not enough to justify the $4k cost of a warranty.

Taking delivery of my Model S 75D tomorrow and am quite excited. I have been mulling over the idea of getting the 4 year extended warranty. I typically get extended warranties on my cars simply because I like the peace of mind that comes with knowing your car is under warranty. I usually USE these warranties as well, so to me, they have always been a good purchase.
The 4 year extended warranted is pretty pricey compared to other cars I've had however, the thought of a $4000 a/c repair doesn't sound particularly appealing to me. SO: If you have purchased the extended warranty on your Tesla, have you used it, and would you buy it again, (whether you've used it or not?) Thanks in advance!
I've had the following covered under extended warranty for my 2013 P85:
  • Replace rear hatch struts
  • Replace front condenser fans
  • Replace rear half-shafts due to vibration
  • Replace four air struts due to vibration
  • Replace rear tail light due to insect infiltration
I paid $2,500 for my ESA 5 years ago. I have no idea if the above exceeded that amount, as the service invoice does not give pricing for warranty repairs. Remember that ESA work is subject to a $200 per visit deductible. In that regard, it's often best to let the issues pile up so you can have as many addressed at one time under a single $200 fee.

• Informative
Reactions: CBPfromTN
I went to the Tesla Service center today and purchased the extended warranty for $4,250. I had purchased my model S on June 23 so I had until around December 20 (within the first 180 days) to take advantage of the $500 discount after that would be $4750.

I learned a few things in the process. Thought I share with TMC.
For some reason I thought that the extended warranty would be transferable to a new buyer like previous extended warranties I had purchased from Lexus and Toyota.

I was told it was not however, I could get a full refund of the $4250 anytime within the standard warranty. (before the extended warranty is in force)
But if I trade the car in before the extended warranty starts, I will need to make sure that I first apply for the refund.
I was also told that one door handle and a replacement of the 17 inch screen costs more than the extended warranty. So it’s probably not a bad bad bet. If I end up keeping it longer than four years/50,000 miles.
If not only cost me four years of interest on $4,250 which is certainly less than $500.
I started the thread on this subject after purchasing my extended warranty in December. You should find the discussion helpful.
I also posted the text from the actual agreement in that thread.

• Informative
I've had the following covered under extended warranty for my 2013 P85:
  • Replace rear hatch struts
  • Replace front condenser fans
  • Replace rear half-shafts due to vibration
  • Replace four air struts due to vibration
  • Replace rear tail light due to insect infiltration
I paid $2,500 for my ESA 5 years ago. I have no idea if the above exceeded that amount, as the service invoice does not give pricing for warranty repairs. Remember that ESA work is subject to a $200 per visit deductible. In that regard, it's often best to let the issues pile up so you can have as many addressed at one time under a single $200 fee.

This will give you a hint.
Cost for each halfshaft:
1007719-01-A - REAR HALFSHAFT 36 MM, PERFORMANCE $1,240.00

CBP

Do you have to buy the warranty at purchase? I didn't think so so you might wait a little bit before pulling the trigger. there are several other threads running on the subject.

I'm leaning on not getting it myself after reading the other posts or at least waiting a while before I do. A lot of OP have not used the warranty. Of course you see the cost of the repairs if you have to. One poster said they treat it as insurance and don't want to worry about it, and you get your piece of mind.

I have a Volt and got the extended warrantee on it and the car has never broke down.

For my Model S it was $4,250 (within the first 180 days) to take advantage of the $500 discount after that would have been $4750 up to 30 days/1,000 miles after the initial warranty expires.

This is from December, so check Tesla’s Support link for mist current info.

Frequently Asked Questions
What is the New Vehicle Limited Warranty?

Your Model S and X are covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, which includes the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Supplemental Restraint System (“SRS”) Limited Warranty, and the Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty.

The Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any Model S or X parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever occurs first.

The SRS Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of the vehicle’s seat belts or airbag system manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 5 years or 60,000 miles (100,000 km), whichever occurs first.

The Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement of any malfunctioning or defective Model S or X lithium-ion battery for a period of 8 years or unlimited miles/km, with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery (manufactured before 2015) that is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles (200,000 km), whichever occurs first. To provide you with even more assurance, the Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty will also cover damage to your vehicle from a battery fire even if it is the result of driver error, subject to certain exclusions.

What is the Tesla Extended Service Agreement?
Extended Service Agreements cover the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of most parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla during the coverage period, excluding the vehicle’s lithium-ion battery and drive unit, which have their own separate warranty. Coverage is based upon the purchased agreement option and takes effect on the date that your original New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires.

Can anyone purchase an Extended Service Agreement?
Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and vehicles purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or X vehicles subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement.

What is the eligible purchase period for Tesla Extended Service Agreements, and what do they cover?
You may purchase the Extended Service Agreement no later than 30 days or 1,000 miles (1,600 km), whichever occurs first, past the expiration of your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The Extended Service Agreement covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of most parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla during the coverage period, excluding the vehicle’s lithium-ion battery and drive unit, which have their own separate warranty.

If I choose not to service my Tesla vehicle, will this void my warranty or Resale Value Guarantee?
It is highly recommended that you service your Tesla vehicle every 12 months or 12,500 miles (20,000 km), whichever occurs first. If you do not follow this recommendation, your New Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be affected. During the agreement period of the Extended Service Agreement, your coverage may be affected if recommended service is not performed. See the Extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions for further details. If you are financing your Tesla vehicle through Tesla Financing, you will only be eligible for the full Resale Value Guarantee if your Tesla vehicle is brought in for service per the above recommended timeline.

During my appointment, how will I get around if I need my vehicle?
We want your Tesla Service experience to be convenient and hassle-free. If you are within 15 miles (24 km) of the closest Service Center, a complimentary Valet can be sent out to retrieve your vehicle from your home or office and return it for you when the service is complete, if available. If service on your vehicle will take longer than 4 hours, a Service Loaner will be provided for you, if available. If a Service Loaner is unavailable, a rental car can be arranged.

Do I have to take my vehicle to a Tesla Service Center?
It is always best to bring your vehicle into a Tesla Service Center for any service needs. If you choose to bring your vehicle to a non-Tesla shop for any maintenance or repairs, please be aware that if problems occur, this could affect coverage under your warranty.

Why am I unable to purchase an Extended Service Agreement in my state?
In some states Tesla has not been granted approval by the state to sell our Extended Service Agreement. This is because each state has its own requirements, such as specific licenses or business qualifications, which we are working to acquire.

Does the New Vehicle Limited Warranty transfer to the new owner if I sell my Model S or X?
Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty will follow your vehicle and be transferred to the new owner when a vehicle ownership transfer is performed through Tesla.

Can I transfer my Extended Service Agreement to the new owner if I sell my Tesla vehicle?
Yes, you can transfer the unused portion of your Extended Service Agreement with the sale of your vehicle. The agreement will transfer to the new owner when the vehicle ownership transfer is processed through Tesla. Please refer to the Extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions for more information.

Can Extended Service Agreements be added to the cost of the vehicle when financing Model S or X?
Extended Service Agreements cannot be added to the total cost of your Model S or X, whether you are financing or not. These plans can only be purchased separately.

Can I cancel my Extended Service Agreement? Can I upgrade or downgrade my Tesla Extended Service Agreement?
Yes, you can request to cancel your Extended Service Agreement at any time and receive a prorated refund, based on your claims history. Please refer to the Extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions for more information.

You cannot downgrade or upgrade your Extended Service Agreement once you have purchased

Last edited:
  • Informative
You don't need to decide on the extended warranty immediately, although it's slightly cheaper to buy it sooner rather than later. Note this: "During the agreement period of the Extended Service Agreement, your coverage may be affected if recommended service is not performed. See the Extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions for further details."

In my case I just (couple of weeks ago) bought the extended warranty for my April 2015 S85D with 44K miles (I'm going to hit the 50K miles before the 4 years on the standard warranty). As others said upthread I'm treating it as a kind of insurance.

Notable warranty repairs on my Model S so far: Three door handles, one front half-shaft, one trunk latch and actuator.

Bruce.

PS. Slightly off-topic: On my last car, I did the extended warranty as well and didn't use it. I wasn't sure I was going to keep the car for the length of the extended warranty (7 years / 100K miles) but ended up driving it for 10 years and 206K miles. (It was a 2005 Prius.)

• Informative
Just bare in mind...
You can cancel if you don’t end up keeping it beyond the initial warranty.
Can I cancel my Extended Service Agreement? Can I upgrade or downgrade my Tesla Extended Service Agreement?
Yes, you can request to cancel your Extended Service Agreement at any time and receive a prorated refund, based on your claims history. Please refer to the Extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions for more information.

CBP

Do you have to buy the warranty at purchase? I didn't think so so you might wait a little bit before pulling the trigger. there are several other threads running on the subject.

I'm leaning on not getting it myself after reading the other posts or at least waiting a while before I do. A lot of OP have not used the warranty. Of course you see the cost of the repairs if you have to. One poster said they treat it as insurance and don't want to worry about it, and you get your piece of mind.

I have a Volt and got the extended warrantee on it and the car has never broke down.
I am definitely waiting a couple of months since I have a full 6 months to purchase but I am sure I will purchase it. I just like the peace of mind knowing that if anything happens, it's covered.

While I like purchasing the warranty from Auto manufacturer as I've typically done in the past, but this time around, I'm going to ask my credit union for their warranty plan too. Just to compare....plan to have that talk tomorrow or Monday. If that does not work, I'll buy it before the 6 months time frame before the cost goes up. I should add my luck with warranty isn't that great. Most of my work with high $$ happened right after warranty time expired :(

Save your money! I've had two Teslas and never needed it. In fact, my 2013 had an out of warranty repair on the charge port. it was corroded, and they replaced it and the cable free of charge. A lot of these problems will usually manifest themselves after about 150.000 km anyway which is beyond the life of the extended warranty. Cheaper to just pay for what's needed after warranty expires.

While I like purchasing the warranty from Auto manufacturer as I've typically done in the past, but this time around, I'm going to ask my credit union for their warranty plan too. Just to compare....plan to have that talk tomorrow or Monday. If that does not work, I'll buy it before the 6 months time frame before the cost goes up. I should add my luck with warranty isn't that great. Most of my work with high $$ happened right after warranty time expired :(
UGH...I am just going to do it. I will wait for awhile but I will also purchase before the 180 days. I like the peace of mind. Plus we seem to ALWAYS use the ext. warranty. I just hate not having a warranty!

Save your money! I've had two Teslas and never needed it. In fact, my 2013 had an out of warranty repair on the charge port. it was corroded, and they replaced it and the cable free of charge. A lot of these problems will usually manifest themselves after about 150.000 km anyway which is beyond the life of the extended warranty. Cheaper to just pay for what's needed after warranty expires.
Thanks for your response and experience. I myself have had to use an extended warranty on just about every vehicle we have had and we've had very reliable, well made vehicles but with this one, I may not use it. I may. I just like having the peace of mind knowing that if I DO have a problem, it will be covered. That's worth a lot to me. I won't have any trouble with mileage expiring my warranty so I will have a full 8 years this way. I like it. I'm going to do it. Just one a/c repair could cost as much as the extd. warranty. It IS nice to know that you've had two Teslas with NO out of warranty repairs though except for the one they did for free. That is awesome! Says a lot about Tesla! Still.....I HAVE heard some horror stories regarding out of warranty repairs. I wouldn't sleep at night......:eek:

I am definitely waiting a couple of months since I have a full 6 months to purchase but I am sure I will purchase it. I just like the peace of mind knowing that if anything happens, it's covered.

I just went back over the plans and think I will do the same. Once I'm in the car I will decide within the 180 days.

Almost always I've never needed a warranty. Tesla S has been around for a while and I think they got the kinks worked out.

Be careful on the 180 days. I had planned to purchase the warranty, but was still on the fence so waited until the last minute. While I took delivery on 06/16 the discount was void sometime before 12/14. They really mean 180 days NOT 6 months.
Yes,
That’s why I put a few reminders on my IOS calendar leading up to the 180th day. Did the same for the 1 year mark for prepaid service plan discount.

I just went back over the plans and think I will do the same. Once I'm in the car I will decide within the 180 days.

Almost always I've never needed a warranty. Tesla S has been around for a while and I think they got the kinks worked out.
Yep, I think we've done well to wait until now to get this one! BUT.....things do happen to all cars and I could see a repair here, one there and then the a/c goes out and there you go, $4000 (I've heard) to repair. As you know, the more "stuff" you have on a car (or any electronic item) the more there is to break, etc. I can't stand the thought of driving a car without a warranty. But.....just another thing to buy, but to me, it's worth it. ((Expensive car, no warranty: NIGHTMARE)) :eek: