Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions wanted for my second car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m hoping you can help me make a decision - especially those who’ve had or have a non-Tesla EV.

I’ve decided to commit to my 2nd car being 100% electric as well but I’m struggling to decide on which car.

I’m going to rely on my M3 for the long journeys and the advantage of the SC network and just use the 2nd car for local stuff - which means pretty much any model will have enough range.

I’ve only tended to buy premium brands in recent years but willing to compromise somewhat on this car.

I’m looking to spend circa £20k and seem to have narrowed my choices down to Gen 7 E-golf or the Peugeot E-208. Expected quality of finish Versus More modern design and longer range (if ever needed) being the current debate.

A natural choice for me would be the i3 but I’m not a fan of the styling. I’m also not a fan of the Zoe or Leaf for styling reasons.

Would you choose one of the two I’m considering or a different option?

(I hope to be able to justify part-ex’ing whatever I buy now for a Model Y when it arrives - a 3 and Y would great)

The best start for your second car would be to look at what range you would like the car to have (city driving only?) And the space you want in the car?

Look at charging speed and socket to see if CCS, Type 2 or other. You probably don't want other as it may add additional sockets/adapters.

Then go test drive them all :)

Fully charged (on YouTube) did a video a few weeks ago about best in class etc

I bought a Leaf for my wife. I prefer my Tesla, but its a nice car. Does what i need it to (round trips upto 100 miles no issue, local travel to work etc and taking the kids out). The App control stuff is really poor compared to the tesla.
Also i have found it been easy to just have one charger.

• Informative
Reactions: Gatsojon
I really like the mini, but it's range is just a little too small for us - a trip to Glasgow and back from Edinburgh would need a small top up. And I'm on the closer side of Edinburgh. I try not to be a range anxious person, but restricted to a single city seems a bit too short.

The pug 208 seems like it gets the best reviews otherwise for the smaller cars. What car or someone similar did a 3 way between it, the mini and the Zoe that was a good read. Also the Corsa is the same u der the skin as the 208, but then that's a vauxhall...

Between the Golf and 208 it would be the 208 every time. Faster charging, bigger battery, no rapidgate. Bjorn tested both on the 1000km challenge, Golf was over 15hrs and 208 was 12hrs. You say it will only be used for local trips but it would be nice to know it can do a longer trip if needed.

Also, the market is about to explode with options, so if you can wait 12 months it might be clearer (or possibly more options isn't what you want??). I'm committed to our next second car being all electric too, but our swift has plenty more years in it yet.
With the current state of the car industry there are some amazing deals to be had right now which will disappear as the market gets back to normal.

With the current state of the car industry there are some amazing deals to be had right now which will disappear as the market gets back to normal.
If I was looking to do that and had to essentially order unseen I would be mini (if it satisfied range reqs - check on abrp) then the 208 from my reading. The newer leaf is a size up from my preference for a second car, but of you are thinking golf then it would match in.

For 2 reasons - firstly because VW are sanctimonious assholes for cheating emissions whilst pretending to be thought leaders in electric - and secondly because their cars are all built on Fridays and totally unreliable - forget the Golf. It’s a smooth marketing prospect but it will rattle you to tears and break down. Getting into a Golf these days feels like your career as a moderately-successful photocopier salesman is on a downslide. We’ve had 10 or so VWs in the last 12 years - will never buy another one. Wife’s current Golf GTI rattles so badly it makes you feel like Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

Kia worth a look ? I still wouldn’t discount the Leaf. Something about Peugeot - possibly over the years have seen too many ICE versions parked in hedges as they seem to be attracted to random events of self-destruction - would put me off, although the reviews are positive.

Kia worth a look ? I still wouldn’t discount the Leaf. Something about Peugeot - possibly over the years have seen too many ICE versions parked in hedges as they seem to be attracted to random events of self-destruction - would put me off, although the reviews are positive.
Has to be said, if you were staring at a blank piece of paper thinking 'who has a good rep with electrics that I should trust to build my BEV', Peugeot probably isn't at the top of the list...

If I needed a second EV I’d probably look for a low mileage old-shape Leaf 40kWh.

We had a 24kWh Leaf and did 20k over the two years we had it. It was very well built and 100% reliable in our case. Only the range let it down as a main car.

I’d avoid the Kona electric and e-Niro, our experience with the Kona was awful.

3DD528D5-7F0A-485B-8A12-6EE1DBDF8AAF.jpeg
I realise beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but I think our i3 looks great. Such an innovative, relatively roomy, lightweight, small and fun to drive little electric car has no comparison, except perhaps the Honda E. My wife loves hers and it copes with the two kids and our hound absolutely fine.