Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions wanted for my second car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I initially didn't like the looks of the i3, at first sight thinking that it looked like a skip on wheels a thought that stuck. But I grew accustomed to it, enough to add it to the short list, in Rex form. Unfortunately, the rear doors would probably never have made it a prime contender, but without those, I think it would have been a pretty strong choice.

The 208 is a brilliant looking car in the sportier trims. It's our most likely candidate to replace my wife's Polo next year, subject to what else is about - but definitely not buying an ICE ever again.

Reactions: Leilani
Thanks again for the feedback which I considered - and the VW hate did help influence me.

I periodically need to do a 140mile trip and although my Tesla is always going to be first choice I thought I should get a car which should be able to get me there without stopping. This ruled out the i3 and mini etc....

Of the cars that should get me there, the Peugeot is the most attractive from my POV.

I had a Peugeot 508 as a rental car In Switzerland over the New Year and I was pretty impressed with it - especially the lane keeping tech (it is still better than my Tesla in my opinion).

So I test drove an e-208 yesterday and was happy with it. As my wife said “Its not a Tesla, is it!?”. A lot of stock has shifted over the last week or so and so a new car order was necessary. I’d found a very decent lease deal on Zenauto and so I’ve ordered the GT model. I know it’s more than the ball pack figure I gave in the original post but the difference in monthly £ is really small and I’ll get all of the good stuff including the lane keeping tech. I usually buy my cars but I think things will be very different in 3 years time and I imagine I’ll be ready to swap this one then - hopefully for a Y.

To answer one post - my current 2nd car is a BMW 535d GT. It’s only 4 years old but, as mentioned by others, it feels agricultural now - despite it being a fully loaded ex-demo model with adaptive suspension and head-up display etc.. Having a Tesla has highlighted that things have changed very quickly.

Thanks again for the feedback which I considered - and the VW hate did help influence me.

I periodically need to do a 140mile trip and although my Tesla is always going to be first choice I thought I should get a car which should be able to get me there without stopping. This ruled out the i3 and mini etc....

Of the cars that should get me there, the Peugeot is the most attractive from my POV.

I had a Peugeot 508 as a rental car In Switzerland over the New Year and I was pretty impressed with it - especially the lane keeping tech (it is still better than my Tesla in my opinion).

So I test drove an e-208 yesterday and was happy with it. As my wife said “Its not a Tesla, is it!?”. A lot of stock has shifted over the last week or so and so a new car order was necessary. I’d found a very decent lease deal on Zenauto and so I’ve ordered the GT model. I know it’s more than the ball pack figure I gave in the original post but the difference in monthly £ is really small and I’ll get all of the good stuff including the lane keeping tech. I usually buy my cars but I think things will be very different in 3 years time and I imagine I’ll be ready to swap this one then - hopefully for a Y.

To answer one post - my current 2nd car is a BMW 535d GT. It’s only 4 years old but, as mentioned by others, it feels agricultural now - despite it being a fully loaded ex-demo model with adaptive suspension and head-up display etc.. Having a Tesla has highlighted that things have changed very quickly.
The Peugeot is certainly a good compromise, Bjørn Nyland made a good review, which version did you get?
I think the MINI was the cutest, but pricey and range is an issue.
I hope Tesla will make soon a more compact hatchback version of the Model 3, which would be more practical in Europe and Asia.

I sold my 630d GT in December and really glad I did given the ass-end falling out of the car industry even further - amazingly comfortable and competent car but am looking forward to the feeling of having converted to BEV.

Will miss BMW 6-cylinders in general but their time may have passed, although they are still astonishing tech in their own right.

Good for you for going for the Peugeot - their cars are getting better, look forward to seeing a review of it !

The Honda e is too expansive for what it is but. I think the styling is fantastic. Sort of future retro (what someone in the 80s would have thought was futuristic I guess). It's a Honda so will probably be quite reliable. Depends on whether you like the "Russian nuclear reactor control panel" infotainment/screen array I guess. I like it a lot.

I think it's quirky, sweet and characterful. All the things Tesla lack basically. If I had a model x and needed a city car, I'd undoubtedly get that.

I have a model 3 though so it works as a City car and a sort of long range cruiser.

Reactions: Jason71
We just went through this to replace my wife's car. I have to say that the MG5 is cracking value for money. There's some 0% offers on right now or big discounts if self-financing/paying with cash. 214 miles range, well kitted out, 50 kW CCS rapid. The MG ZS EV is also really good if you're after more of a cross over but the range is lower.

I'd go for a PCP or a lease with any EV right now to protect against drop in value. As has been mentioned above, quite a few new EVs are coming onto the market in the next few years and a 176 (ZS EV) or 214. (MG5) range won't be as attractive.

I think you've made a wise choice, I'm already running a Leaf and a Tesla, but was looking to upgrade the leaf. After looking at what to go for the wife chose the pug 2008 as she liked the suv look (I don't!) and as you said the lease deals were crazy cheap on the GT model, almost the same price as the MG for a car "worth" about 10k more. We ended up cancelling the order in the end due to covid completely stopping all site visits, so we don't need any more range. I'll re address next year, and I quite like the look of the skoda enyaq....

I have recently been looking for a supermini size second car for my wife who does very few miles. The issues I found was. given the cost of batteries having a full BEV right now when you don't do many miles does not make economic sense and there are like zero fiesta or below size PHEV's available to buy.
I know there are some second hand BEVs but again most are larger than a super mini and the older Zoes are are 90% battery lease which I don't want. In that small low miles space where you can buy a brand new fiat 500 for £12k its really hard to justify any type of EV right now.

Reactions: Jeeves
I have recently been looking for a supermini size second car for my wife who does very few miles. The issues I found was. given the cost of batteries having a full BEV right now when you don't do many miles does not make economic sense and there are like zero fiesta or below size PHEV's available to buy.
I know there are some second hand BEVs but again most are larger than a super mini and the older Zoes are are 90% battery lease which I don't want. In that small low miles space where you can buy a brand new fiat 500 for £12k its really hard to justify any type of EV right now.
Have you seen this?

https://www.uniti.earth/uk/

IIRC it starts at around £14k

We went for a Mini because:
- it is fun to drive - the batteries are in a T-shape low and central, making it handle really well
- interior quality is top notch especially our "level 3 version" including wireless Carplay
- proven drive train
-pano sunroof positioned so that the driver can enjoy it as well (out in front of the driver). Opening it makes it feel like putting a convertible top down.
- don't need range and the smaller battery keeps the weight down hence helps aforementioned handling.
- always loved the looks.
Mini Electric.jpg

Last edited:
The Honda e is too expansive for what it is but. I think the styling is fantastic. Sort of future retro (what someone in the 80s would have thought was futuristic I guess). It's a Honda so will probably be quite reliable. Depends on whether you like the "Russian nuclear reactor control panel" infotainment/screen array I guess. I like it a lot.

I think it's quirky, sweet and characterful. All the things Tesla lack basically. If I had a model x and needed a city car, I'd undoubtedly get that.

I have a model 3 though so it works as a City car and a sort of long range cruiser.

My wife's ordered one and due in early Nov. For her it's not about whether it's an EV or not, it's because of how it looks. She's coming from a Fiat Abarth 595, so likely to be a bit more comfortable too. Yes it's pricey, and has crap range, but neither seem to bother her. I suspect my car will be the one used for longer trips.

Reactions: Neilio and browellm