Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Orbital Wheel Covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few shots of my MSM
3D6E8DAF-A6A3-4D77-86D4-57E5EBD87739.jpeg
45C7CE67-CA26-4571-8459-5B02E6826869.jpeg
3592DC10-8F75-46F1-A621-B4CDC31A1219.jpeg
167F8106-E0A9-4368-BFF0-762053C34465.jpeg

Last edited:
I used black RTV sealant to cover the ridges on the inside rim of the Orbital wheel cover to try and prevent the scratches that were forming on the wheel. The RTV takes up the gap between the Orbital cover and the rim. Now there is a slight preload on the cover which should prevent it from vibrating.

The curved lip of the Orbital cover keeps the RTV hidden from view when installed. I will drive it for a couple weeks and update.

Scratches.jpg

RTV.jpg
Installed.jpg

I used black RTV sealant to cover the ridges on the inside rim of the Orbital wheel cover to try and prevent the scratches that were forming on the wheel. The RTV takes up the gap between the Orbital cover and the rim. Now there is a slight preload on the cover which should prevent it from vibrating.

The curved lip of the Orbital cover keeps the RTV hidden from view when installed. I will drive it for a couple weeks and update.
nice, keep us updated. The OP in that reddit thread noticed that there were additional scratches from what seemed to be from sand as well. likely because its like being sandblasted under the covers (which happens with the aero covers as well. Maybe we need to cover the edges with electrical tape or plastidip?

im interested in you wh/mi numbers with the orbitals. are you planning on switching out the covers part way through or do you have some good longer term wh/mi numbers for your aero covers and without covers?
I only have the orbitals. Numbers from first half of trip.are on right of the image.
IMG_20210427_140342_722.jpg

nice, keep us updated. The OP in that reddit thread noticed that there were additional scratches from what seemed to be from sand as well. likely because its like being sandblasted under the covers (which happens with the aero covers as well. Maybe we need to cover the edges with electrical tape or plastidip?
I would be tempted to plastidip the wheels, not the covers. I think you can have clear color if you want to keep the stock wheel color. Considering that myself even for the aero covers.

picked up my orbitals today. interestingly enough when i took the aeros off my rims have actually been quite damaged already by the aeros but only on the drivers side. im gonna presume that this from air and dirt coming from oncoming traffic.... i did put some masking tape on the rear of the orbitals though.

Not 100% a fan of the look. I find the original aeros look sleeker/more elegant and less "buff". but maybe just takes some time getting used to it.

Attachments

• 11.51.jpeg
    11.51.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 28.jpeg
    28.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 215
I love mine. I keep a screwdriver in my car just in case I have to remove the Orbitals. You have to remove the center cap or you won’t be able to remove the wheel covers.

View attachment 658907

View attachment 658908View attachment 658909Wouldn’t a small piece of electrical tape serve the same purpose?

those look good, where did you get them? are they designed to be aerodynamic like the orbitals and aero covers or just to look cool?
They're Forgiato's new EV line of wheels and we are the first to demo them on our car.
So far we are noticing 1000% increase in aero efficiency. This was tested in a vacuum inside the boring tunnel.

I joke... 🤣

I can't say I have noticed any range +/- but they do look cool.
Also the covers are removable between each spoke.

We are a dealer for Forgiato and have a few sets in bound.
Please message if you're interested.
They're Model 3 / Model Y plug and play.
More info here:

Danny

They're Forgiato's new EV line of wheels and we are the first to demo them on our car.
So far we are noticing 1000% increase in aero efficiency. This was tested in a vacuum inside the boring tunnel.

I joke... 🤣

I can't say I have noticed any range +/- but they do look cool.
Also the covers are removable between each spoke.

We are a dealer for Forgiato and have a few sets in bound.
Please message if you're interested.
They're Model 3 / Model Y plug and play.
More info here:

Danny
ah ok, theyre a brand new set of rims that have removable covers like the Fast EV01 sets. I think most people in this thread and those interested in orbitals are looking for a cheaper alternative to completely change the look of the stock 18's. I do like the look of those though

Reactions: mmccking and Yuri_G
ah ok, theyre a brand new set of rims that have removable covers like the Fast EV01 sets. I think most people in this thread and those interested in orbitals are looking for a cheaper alternative to completely change the look of the stock 18's. I do like the look of those though

wait.... are those 18 inch tires with a huge sidecover to make them look like 21 inch?
edit: oh apparently not...

Understood. More options is always good!
We officially cataloged this wheel in our catalog. Have a look!

Thanks,
Danny