Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order a 70D and OTA upgrade to 75D later?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked my Owner Advisor yesterday if I could place an order for a 70D today and take delivery of a 70D. Then, 6 months down the road for example - pay the $3k or whatever to enable the additional 5 kwh capacity?

He said he wasn't sure it would work that way -if you place a 70D order now that it would be OTA upgradeable later. He seemed to be implying that the $3k 75 kwh OTA upgrade was only available for 70 kwh cars ordered after the refresh and before the 75 kwh announcement was made. That from now on, you need to order the 75kwh option from the design page if you ever want a 75kwh car.

Anyone know the story here?

I haven't seen anything official for those who have not yet placed an order. However, I placed mine 2 weeks ago, and here is an excerpt from the email I got today:

"We want to offer you the opportunity to upgrade your Model S order to a 75kWh battery before you take delivery. The cost of the upgrade is $3,000 and can be rolled into your lease or loan.

Should you decide to make the change post delivery, you may contact your local Service Center at any time to have it enabled for $3,250."

I'd be really surprised if, with orders from now on, they would build a 70D with 75kWh batteries and not give purchasers the option to upgrade later (after delivery). Makes zero business sense, since a future upgrade is almost 100% profit (you do get a nice new 75D badge).

Thanks, have you seen anything officially stating that?

I don't know if Owner Advisors get any kind of commission or anything, but it did sound like he was shaking me down for a higher sticker price sale.

The email I got from Tesla the other day, same as the one from Hookemhorns, states this. "Should you decide to make the change post delivery, you may contact your local Service Center at any time to have it enabled for $3,250."

Thanks for the info. It would be great if Tesla would tell their advisors as well :|

Sometimes Tesla stores don't feel that different to traditional dealerships when it comes to getting straight answers to seemingly basic questions.

This option is really making me look at a new one... the 70 was scaring me, but I'd order it and drive it, and if it doesn't meet my needs, a call and credit card makes it a 75D... which has range close enough to not matter vs my 85. And if it does meet my needs, I save $3k...

Eventually I see them dropping the 70D option, adding $3k to the price, and the base being a 75D.

After receiving the same email yesterday, I am seriously considering to upgrade to 75kWh.
I just wish I could let go the high fidelity sound upgrade for 75kWh..

I am going to take this back. As I stated in other thread, I got a call from Tesla factory regarding my inquiry about 75kWh upgrade.
Since I ordered S70 (a single motor) I will only gain 15miles of range with $3000. I told him No way and he didn't recommend it either.

So I changed my mind.

I actually changed my mind as well, after also being pretty set on doing the upgrade (and I ordered the 70D so 19 miles of range). Here was my thought process from a post on the Tesla forums in response to someone trying to figure out the upgrade for themselves as well:

It really depends on your day-to-day driving. Here is my simple thinking on my purchase:

I actually was going to upgrade to the 75D, but am sticking with the 70D. The most I drive in a normal day is 60 miles (this probably happens once a week on average). Otherwise I drive about 20 miles a day. The farthest away places I'd visit on a whim are Boston, MA (40 miles away) and Portsmouth, NH (55 miles away, supercharger right there as well). My longest trip (probably do the trip every 3-4 months) is 250 miles away, with a supercharger in Lebanon, NH (140 miles away, honestly nervous about this for when I do this drive and the temperature is 5 degrees, would the cold and winter weather make my 240 mile range drop 100 miles?) and then 110 miles to my final destination.

That said, I am sure I will get the 90D when my lease is up (I take delivery in June-July for the 70D). Max range is one of the biggest benefits out there no matter what kind of car you drive (electric, ICE, hybrid). If money is a non-factor, I think the 90D is an absolute no brainer... I am not at that point yet, but I am thinking it would be a nice 30th birthday present to myself if I get there.