Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order before March 1 or wait until end of Q1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m waiting at this point. I win regardless as I’m just as happy buying a Juniper version when it comes out. I was just hoping for a price reduction Tesla already shown it would do. This BS price increase game they are doing in a buyer’s market is tiresome.we all know the price will go back down at some point after it is raised.

Agreed juniper will be an improvement, but personally would be weary about buying the first model year of the refresh.

seeing how the Highland goes, could be an indicator

Nobody knows anything. Lots of posts of buyers wanting to put off deliveries to game the system. Tesla is aware and has put everyone on notice that they intend to raise price by $1,000 for deliveries after EOQ.
Tesla needs to move all their current production into customer hands to make their 1st quarter numbers.
People say they want transparency. This is Tesla being transparent.

Nobody knows anything. Lots of posts of buyers wanting to put off deliveries to game the system. Tesla is aware and has put everyone on notice that they intend to raise price by $1,000 for deliveries after EOQ.
Tesla needs to move all their current production into customer hands to make their 1st quarter numbers.
People say they want transparency. This is Tesla being transparent.

Be careful what you wish for :)

Agreed juniper will be an improvement, but personally would be weary about buying the first model year of the refresh.

seeing how the Highland goes, could be an indicator

Some of the “features” on Highland aren’t appealing to me, and if my folks who are currently 82 drive the car they’d be completely lost. The loss of the stalks for turn signals and shifting are the primary ones, I saw a Highland in person when I test drove MYLR back in February. I don’t really GAS about a color changing LED strip around the interior either. I do like the new front end, possible ventilated seats, and other improvements like quieter cabin or improved components, but if they somehow don’t qualify for the $7500 incentive I probably wouldn’t buy one at all. I’d rather have a current MYLR than spend $10K or more for a Juniper. If the numbers are similar and Juniper is released a few months after I buy then I’d also be irritated I didn’t wait, if it’s a year plus out then whatever. In the future a new battery technology will render all of today’s EV’s worth very little, so regardless of which model I end up buying I’ll lose out at some point.

I was thinking about this through the morning today. I do believe that Tesla will be true to their word with the April price increase, and likely continue the trend. They, the gold standard in the EV market, are currently priced better than most anything else out there, and some competitors like the Ioniq 5 have lost the federal incentive for 2024. Tesla doesn’t need to directly compete with ICE on price, they just need to be priced better than their EV competitors. Better pricing is unlikely to convert an ICE buyer to an EV buyer, but someone going out intending to buy an EV will find Tesla is still the best value even after several more $1K increases. Tesla has a >50% market share for that reason. The gov’t will pull out all the stops to make the economy look as good as possible between now and November, making people feel better about spending a little more. Maybe we’ve seen the bottom of the Tesla market for 2024.

I was thinking about this through the morning today. I do believe that Tesla will be true to their word with the April price increase, and likely continue the trend.
lol, not a chance on continuing the trend. The only reason they’ll raise the price in April is to lower it again in May and start the dance all over.
Tesla doesn’t need to directly compete with ICE on price, they just need to be priced better than their EV competitors.
I disagree. They need to compete with everyone on price, ICE or otherwise. It’s not enough to just be the obvious / most affordable EV choice. They need to be the obvious choice for anyone looking for a car in the segments they compete in, EV or not.

Tesla can’t afford to idle factories and get by on lower volume. They live or die based on deliveries.

lol, not a chance on continuing the trend. The only reason they’ll raise the price in April is to lower it again in May and start the dance all over.

I disagree. They need to compete with everyone on price, ICE or otherwise. It’s not enough to just be the obvious / most affordable EV choice. They need to be the obvious choice for anyone looking for a car in the segments they compete in, EV or not.

Tesla can’t afford to idle factories and get by on lower volume. They live or die based on deliveries.

This quarter has been the opposite of past trends with inventory prices increasing through the quarter. The best deals were in early January with inventory cars in the $4K discount range, then the price went to $3K discount, 3/1 the discount dropped to $2500 and they added the Supercharging credits, 3/15 rather than dropping prices we are seeing another $1K increase promised. With the published increase I don’t think we’ll see much movement in pricing between now and 4/1. If they make a move before then I’ll be ready to pull the trigger.

I am sure Tesla management comes onto this forum and other places to gauge current sentiment and what we are saying. Kudos to them if they want to reduce sales this quarter by trying to increase pricing twice within 30 days lol.

Tesla will be lucky to sell as many vehicles as they did last year given the economy. So I am expecting big discounts by the end of the year. This tactic for Q1 will not hold for Q3 - Q4. Juniper will likely not qualify for the tax credit like the Highland, so Tesla should be prioritizing to move as many current Ys as possible rather than playing $1-2k fear hike games with consumers.

Reactions: acpd and PA_EV_New
Tesla is smart, the “games” are all tactics, sometimes they work other times they flop.

The reality is a certain % of people “need” a new car vs. “want” at any given time. And EV to EV this is still arguably the best value in the market.

And there’s also a % of people who just don’t care enough about the minimal price fluctuations and will buy purely given the need/want.

Reactions: vickh and PA_EV_New
I don’t think there’s any reason to believe that the refresh Y won’t use the exact same batteries the car uses now (and hence maintain tax credit eligibility).
Agreed. Too much risk to do otherwise for Tesla. Losing the tax credit makes other EVs more competitive and the Rivian R2 is coming which, if priced at 45k, will be a serious competitor to the Model Y.

Reactions: PA_EV_New and vickh
R1S and R1T are currently eligible for $3750.

Yes, with a native NACS connector.

Good. So a close competitor if pricing is similar. One of my buddies just switched to R1S after many years here (had all the TSLA models over the years). I hope the healthy competition will keep prices in check, esp with the NACS network

Inventory discount is back to end of February $3K off level as of this morning. The free supercharging incentive is still included.

IMG_6389.png

Inventory discount is back to end of February $3K off level as of this morning. The free supercharging incentive is still included.

View attachment 1029183
I'm seeing no change in the overall price of the car (it's still about $500 more now than in February). Perhaps Tesla is giving a bigger discount but then it also raised the price of the vehicle. I'm assuming Tesla is playing games with all its numbers and incentives to see how many people are fooled into thinking they are giving a big end of quarter discount ... which they are not.