Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order custom still in time for tax credit (12/31) ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say its not gonna happen, don't trust the website. The website also said I would get my car around early Oct yet its Dec and still nothing.

I never trust anything I see on the Tesla web site, nor anything a Tesla rep tells me. But history tells us that Tesla produces cars for US consumers in the final month of each quarter and historically they have produced more than enough to fulfill all existing US demand. It’s possible that somehow the Q4 2019 demand is over the top compared to prior quarters. But with the federal tax credit only being $1,750 compared to $7,500 last December I just don’t see any basis to conclude they will not build enough cars to meet demand this month.

I doubt there are many Model 3 Performance owners out there who are driving on 18” wheels with aero caps averaging 55 mph. Throw on 20” wheels and floor it after every stop light and you’re not going to get anywhere close to 322 miles of range.

Well I am picking up a P3D- on Wednesday - and will definitely drive that way when there is a police cruiser behind me. I think all the LE agencies (especially CHP) know that Tesla's can move fast.

But, when no one is looking (or you think it's safe), you will get a lot less than your quoted range, but have fun doing it!

The one thing I like about the P3D- is the fact that it can be a regular sedan when you want it to be - and really perform) when you want it to do so. Come to think of it, all Model 3's are like that. Any basic model 3 can handle almost as well as a 911 when driven that way. And most can come close it in terms of speed. All for a lot less than $110K.

The gentleman at the Tesla showroom that nailed my VIN "delivery" date told me that any custom order from that point on would not be filled until March 2020. I would look for something in inventory, and depending on what you want, there are hundreds of sleepers on their way pre-production with no assigned owners as of yet.
unfortunately this matches what I heard from Mt Kisco.... March 2020...

ya my SA told me if i miss my delivery window for whatever reason i'll go back into the queue and probably won't get a car until march. however, it does seem like there are stealth/sleepers being built so if something goes wrong, for the low low adder of $2k i can get one of those instead of the LR AWD i'm signed up for.

ya my SA told me if i miss my delivery window for whatever reason i'll go back into the queue and probably won't get a car until march. however, it does seem like there are stealth/sleepers being built so if something goes wrong, for the low low adder of $2k i can get one of those instead of the LR AWD i'm signed up for.

I highly recommend to get your SA to find you a P3D-. I have owned 3 Porsche 911's in my life, and this car is a sedan that can leave most (probably not the new turbo's) in the dust. All for $2K more than the AWD? Totally worth it.

I think there are still VINs out there to grab. You have to hound your SA and everyone else to get them to really look for them.

yea as i mentioned in the other thread he had sent me a link to one with the right color/seats/wheels on monday - VIN assigned - but i hadn't had the chance to discuss it with my better half and for whatever reason my SA (not even sure he really is my SA due to how it all unfolded...) stopped responding to my emails after i managed to talk to her.

i guess i'll just call him tomorrow and see if he can hook me up. i think i'm a PITA customer for them though because i have this delivery blackout window. he said he marked my account in such a way that they would not try to deliver my custom order in that period, but god knows if they can really do that. the risk with switching to the P3D- is that since it's ostensibly already in production, they may have to deliver it when i can't pick it up. so it might be safer to wait for the LR AWD.

I highly recommend to get your SA to find you a P3D-. I have owned 3 Porsche 911's in my life, and this car is a sedan that can leave most (probably not the new turbo's) in the dust. All for $2K more than the AWD? Totally worth it.

my last true 'hotrod' sedan was a '99 C43 and while that's no 911, it was hella fun. it would be amazing to leapfrog right over the 911 with this thing.

yea as i mentioned in the other thread he had sent me a link to one with the right color/seats/wheels on monday - VIN assigned - but i hadn't had the chance to discuss it with my better half and for whatever reason my SA (not even sure he really is my SA due to how it all unfolded...) stopped responding to my emails after i managed to talk to her.

i guess i'll just call him tomorrow and see if he can hook me up. i think i'm a PITA customer for them though because i have this delivery blackout window. he said he marked my account in such a way that they would not try to deliver my custom order in that period, but god knows if they can really do that. the risk with switching to the P3D- is that since it's ostensibly already in production, they may have to deliver it when i can't pick it up. so it might be safer to wait for the LR AWD.

my last true 'hotrod' sedan was a '99 C43 and while that's no 911, it was hella fun. it would be amazing to leapfrog right over the 911 with this thing.

Either car is fast as hell. No shifting to get there, so it's easy. You need a better SA.

If you're in Oakland - and find a P3D- in stock, they can likely get it to you within a week. Will that work? You may have to go to Fremont, but an SA that works with you is essential. My SA did NOT work with me and I had to be a PITA to get a car.

yeah, week, week and a half would work. a friend with 2 teslas said he had a couple of guys that were really good so maybe if they still work for tesla they can help me. fremont is no problem, was kind of expecting to have to pick up there anyway (under the theory that getting minor problems fixed up before delivery is impossible if you let them deliver it to your home...)

I suppose you can look at it like: If they aren't otherwise going to be able to deliver by 12/31, then switching to a P3D- to take delivery now-ish, the $2K and the tax credit is a near wash, i.e. the P is "free" :)

Man that sucks to hear.

I'm gone for a good chunk of the last two weeks of the month. No way my wife would wait til March for us to get one of these. We've already waited so long for the worst possible window of time to get one.

I suppose you can look at it like: If they aren't otherwise going to be able to deliver by 12/31, then switching to a P3D- to take delivery now-ish, the $2K and the tax credit is a near wash, i.e. the P is "free" :)

From talking to people at delivery, I truly believe that all cars ordered through November will show up. In a week or so, deliveries may not be very pleasant, but the cars will be there. Also, from current delivery reports, most of the scuffs, dents, and misalignments are minimal relative to earlier times. Tesla seems to have got that under control.

But, if you want a really fast car - the P3D- is the way to go. Then again, the LR AWD is faster than hell too. The SR+ is very fast compared with many cars also. I suspect that on the dual motor cars, most of the extra speed is not usable most of the time. There are cars in front of you!

well i managed to get in touch with my SA and he was able to switch me to a P3D- with the same color/interior. my reservation now shows a VIN in the source code and i guess they have to do a soft credit pull even though it was already all settled for the LR AWD reservation. in theory it should be delivered sometime next week, though he said the car was in "pre-production" which doesn't sound like its too far along. they also set my delivery location as fremont, which is fine with me.

i wonder if these cars have the "Chill mode" setting because my wife aint gonna like the insane acceleration when she's piloting.

well i managed to get in touch with my SA and he was able to switch me to a P3D- with the same color/interior. my reservation now shows a VIN in the source code and i guess they have to do a soft credit pull even though it was already all settled for the LR AWD reservation. in theory it should be delivered sometime next week, though he said the car was in "pre-production" which doesn't sound like its too far along. they also set my delivery location as fremont, which is fine with me.

i wonder if these cars have the "Chill mode" setting because my wife aint gonna like the insane acceleration when she's piloting.
They have “chill”. Mode. Standard mode is fine. The accelerator mapping is such that you have to punch it a bit to put yourself pinned to the seat. You can drive normally in Standard mode. Another thing well done.

You should probably check with your SA — some stealths are in pre-production and some have already been made. If you are down for one already made, you can likely get it in a few days or week - depending on Bay Area delivery site. Pre-production cars - I’ve never been clear as to what stage they are at. It will definitely be produced, though.

i guess i had assumed that the existence of a VIN means that the car is being built, but that's just an assumption... anyway he claimed dec 10 it would be ready but i'd still be ok if it slipped a week from that timeframe. i guess we'll see.

rob