Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order for 5 seat and modify for 7 seats to avoid price increase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I’m waiting for the 7 seat model Y to allow orders online but I also want to get FSD. Elon just tweeted that FSD going up by 2K on Monday and I wanted to know if I can order the 5 seat version then substitute for 7 seat once it’s available to avoid the 2K price increase for FSD ?

You could build the car from scratch yourself and save tens of thousands of dollars.

In all seriousness, Tesla works hard to drive the costs down on every aspect of the car. And Tesla doesn't work hard to make upgrade parts available. I can't imagine any parts, including the rear seats that would be cheaper to add later, even if you remove the cost of your time.

The thought of possibly making a gateway configuration change to enable the rear seatbelt sensors makes me shudder. Does anyone know how the software knows to look for rear seats? Is the HVAC setup identical in the two?

Last edited:
Maybe I wasn’t clear in my post, I meant call in and change to the 7 seat version once it becomes available, not actually do it myself. I want to know if I can place and order for 5 seat then switch the order before delivery or defer delivery until the 7 seat orders become available

Reactions: jpfive
Maybe I wasn’t clear in my post, I meant call in and change to the 7 seat version once it becomes available, not actually do it myself. I want to know if I can place and order for 5 seat then switch the order before delivery or defer delivery until the 7 seat orders become available

Sure, don't see why not, that way you lock in the price as you said.

The problem with this plan is that changing options might trigger the new prices. I don't think there has been 100% consistency around this in the past, but I believe it can happen.

They are quite consistent with applying new pricing to all options when you make any changes to order. This is in my own experience and according to everything I’ve read on this forum. I’ve had a 7 seat order since March ‘19 and I’ve modified the order twice so I’ve seen FSD option increase each time.

Unfortunately for the OP, I’m quite sure they are going to see FSD increase by $2K (or whatever is current) when they modify order to 7 seat. Therefore, there isn’t much point in them submitting order now IMO.

They are quite consistent with applying new pricing to all options when you make any changes to order. This is in my own experience and according to everything I’ve read on this forum. I’ve had a 7 seat order since March ‘19 and I’ve modified the order twice so I’ve seen FSD option increase each time.

Unfortunately for the OP, I’m quite sure they are going to see FSD increase by $2K (or whatever is current) when they modify order to 7 seat. Therefore, there isn’t much point in them submitting order now IMO.

For some reason, I thought some had been able to change things like the color selection. I suspect that you are right, though and this plan will not work.

If you were able to ORDER the 7 seat right now and just wait, I think it would work. But even calling in I don't think they can change your order to a 7 seater, they can just "delay" your delivery until the order sheets open on the seven seater and then you can change it. As others have said, they reflect current prices if you change an order.

I called Tesla of Houston and they confirmed I cannot order a 5 seat and change to 7 seat as it will re-price to the latest price. So looks like i'm stuck waiting and paying $2K more for the 7 seat with FSD.

Thanks everyone

Did you ask if they could take your order for a 7-seater over the phone?

Its a stretch, but worth asking.

I'm wondering, our order is on hold until 01/01/2021, if I add FSD this weekend, and over the next few months decide against it, can I remove the option before the car is built? Worse case cancel order altogether, lose $100 order fee, re-order same car?

Did you ask if they could take your order for a 7-seater over the phone?

Its a stretch, but worth asking.

I'm wondering, our order is on hold until 01/01/2021, if I add FSD this weekend, and over the next few months decide against it, can I remove the option before the car is built? Worse case cancel order altogether, lose $100 order fee, re-order same car?
You can cancel the FSD before pickup and have them remove and adjust the price. We have had them remove FSD on a few cars and it was no problem at all because it’s just a software change.

I tried before, and they said it was not possible. BTW, you still own a 330i zhp in Imola red?

When I said "I tried before, and they said it was not possible", I was referring to ordering the 7-seat option over the phone. They told me I needed to wait for the 7-seat option to be available before they could do that. Oddly enough, my SA at the Tesla store originally told me to order online with the 5 seat option, send him my order number, and that he would then mark it as a 7-seat order. I did that, but it didn't happen. That is when I called, chatted online, and was told multiple times that it was not possible to update my order to a 7 seat option until that option was available.

I called Tesla of Houston and they confirmed I cannot order a 5 seat and change to 7 seat as it will re-price to the latest price. So looks like i'm stuck waiting and paying $2K more for the 7 seat with FSD.

Thanks everyone
I called in Seattle, and they said I could.
They said order a 5 seater, call us and we will update in the backend.
I am gonna do that tomorrow

Reactions: imola.zhp