Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order on hold until March, email today order will be cancelled?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not a huge deal. I don't "need" a car, this was another want/toy. The price was 3k less, not the 10k difference people have seen. I would like an Austin build 4680. If they sold me one now, that would be okay also. Or, hold off for a cybertruck.

It's not a huge deal. I don't "need" a car, this was another want/toy. The price was 3k less, not the 10k difference people have seen. I would like an Austin build 4680. If they sold me one now, that would be okay also. Or, hold off for a cybertruck.
Yeah, it's NBD if you don't need the car right now. I think waiting a couple of years is a better play with a bunch of competition coming along and Austin Gigafactory ramping up production. At the very least, prices should come down some. I suspect there will also likely be some nice tech upgrades along the way. Personally, I'd be on the fence at current prices even if I needed a car right now. I have an order with April prices ($8K lower) so upgrading from my 12 year old ICE sedan works for me.

So a buddy of mine ordered his MY in September 20th 2021 & got a VIN assigned Jan 22nd.
He wanted a chance at the 4680 battery & called his SA & asked for hold & got a April 2nd hold date.

Today he got an email that said, he has till Feb 10th to remove his hold else he loses the car & the deposit.
He's got a $5K incentive here due to price changes since September.

Is Tesla going through with this cancellation tactic or is there anyway he can continue to hold?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
So a buddy of mine ordered his MY in September 20th 2021 & got a VIN assigned Jan 22nd.
He wanted a chance at the 4680 battery & called his SA & asked for hold & got a April 2nd hold date.

Today he got an email that said, he has till Feb 10th to remove his hold else he loses the car & the deposit.

Is Tesla going through with this cancellation tactic or is there anyway he can continue to hold?
They will cancell if he does not remove the hold. Best bet is to remove the hold not later than Feb 10th and not risk losing reservation fee and $5K price advantage.

A bunch of us have received the same e-mail.

It's either 120 or 150 days after order - that no order can be on hold or it will be auto-canceled. It's the same e-mail/threat as folks received back in Dec. Some of those orders were a year old at that point.

My hold started Oct 18th and was supposed to end April 1st (SA created this long hold - I did not ask) but Tesla sent the threatening e-mail mid-Jan.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
Tesla has been generous on holds for a long time, but the wording of the deposit contract does not require them to go more than 30 days (at least that's what mine said) and with the incredibly long line of customers willing to take delivery, they are enforcing a 3-month-hold max which seems rational. It handles cases where you might need to sell the existing car, or are on a long vacation. It eliminates the practice of forever-line-camping, which I think is OK. If you want next year's car... order it then.

Reactions: samori01
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. The expectation of a "perma hold til the evolving car specs meet my expectations for the same price as when I ordered" to be honored by Tesla makes me laugh, and weep at the insanity of the human condition.

It's like walking down the aisle and saying "I do", then spotting a hotter potential spouse and asking for a do-over.

This strict enforcement all started when everyone wanted to put orders on hold late last year waiting for BBB to start on 1/1/22 and we all know how that bill ended up.
I read that some people had orders from 2020 that were on hold and never heard a peep from Tesla until last November. Then they started crying that it wasn't fair and thought Tesla was being mean. :rolleyes: really??

Then again your friend could get lucky like I did. I had two Tesla ordered last summer to take advantages of a great NJ instant rebate program on EV, a Model 3 LR which I took delivery in September and a Model Y LR. I received three vin numbers for the Model Y, one in November one in December and one in January. I did nothing and figured to let it auto cancel like the contract stated but order keep going back on hold automatically and then released. I also received the cancelation email in November to remove hold by 11/16 but it went back in queue automatically again twice. Tesla finally called me last week for the first time since I ordered asking if I still wanted the Model Y and they would remove hold to get back in queue but I declined and took a few days for the order to delete from my account.
I also had the old pricing at a $5k discount but with all the improvements on the upcoming Model Y coming from Fremont and soon Austin I just gonna reorder again once I see people getting the updated cars but thinking about getting the MYP instead.
Luckily thanks to the used car market, I will not lose a dime selling my Model 3 and currently will profit $4k if I sold today. Hopefully another NJ rebate program comes out this summer as well to get some more free cash.

A bunch of us have received the same e-mail.

It's either 120 or 150 days after order - that no order can be on hold or it will be auto-canceled. It's the same e-mail/threat as folks received back in Dec. Some of those orders were a year old at that point.

My hold started Oct 18th and was supposed to end April 1st (SA created this long hold - I did not ask) but Tesla sent the threatening e-mail mid-Jan.
Thank you for the helpful 411.
From your time line it looks like you unheld & it's a couple more weeks after & you still haven't gotten delivery.

I think my friend's expectations should be that if unheld - post Feb 10th - delivery could happen anytime. LOL

Tesla has been generous on holds for a long time, but the wording of the deposit contract does not require them to go more than 30 days (at least that's what mine said) and with the incredibly long line of customers willing to take delivery, they are enforcing a 3-month-hold max which seems rational. It handles cases where you might need to sell the existing car, or are on a long vacation. It eliminates the practice of forever-line-camping, which I think is OK. If you want next year's car... order it then.
The 'Order Hold' system is a legacy from the days when Tesla felt the need to bend over backwards to get and keep orders. Some have been on Hold for 2 years.
NO MORE. With the backlog as it is, Tesla can afford to lose a couple orders, so, rightly in my view, they're tightening up the queue, flushing the gamers.
Courtesy has been taken advantage of. So for a while yet, Tesla will play 'bad cop'. Then it'll be back to courtesy.

Thank you for he helpful 411.
From your time line it looks like you unheld & it's a couple more weeks after & you still haven't gotten delivery.

I think my friend's expectations should be that if unheld - post Feb 10th - delivery could happen anytime. LOL
I took delivery yesterday.

Everything happened in a flash two weeks ago:

Tuesday: Tesla threatening to cancel August order if not unheld by Jan 27th
Wednesday: Unheld order
Friday: New EDD Feb 2 - Mar 2
Saturday: VIN
Delivery was 9-10 days later.

The 'Order Hold' system is a legacy from the days when Tesla felt the need to bend over backwards to get and keep orders. Some have been on Hold for 2 years.
NO MORE. With the backlog as it is, Tesla can afford to lose a couple orders, so, rightly in my view, they're tightening up the queue, flushing the gamers.
Courtesy has been taken advantage of. So for a while yet, Tesla will play 'bad cop'. Then it'll be back to courtesy.
Yup, some people had orders in for $10k less than todays prices. Crazy that Tesla would be so generous to even send them cancelation email as a courtesy to get them a vehicle at such a discount.

Reactions: Corndart
This strict enforcement all started when everyone wanted to put orders on hold late last year waiting for BBB to start on 1/1/22 and we all know how that bill ended up.
I read that some people had orders from 2020 that were on hold and never heard a peep from Tesla until last November. Then they started crying that it wasn't fair and thought Tesla was being mean. :rolleyes: really??

Then again your friend could get lucky like I did. I had two Tesla ordered last summer to take advantages of a great NJ instant rebate program on EV, a Model 3 LR which I took delivery in September and a Model Y LR. I received three vin numbers for the Model Y, one in November one in December and one in January. I did nothing and figured to let it auto cancel like the contract stated but order keep going back on hold automatically and then released. I also received the cancelation email in November to remove hold by 11/16 but it went back in queue automatically again twice. Tesla finally called me last week for the first time since I ordered asking if I still wanted the Model Y and they would remove hold to get back in queue but I declined and took a few days for the order to delete from my account.
I also had the old pricing at a $5k discount but with all the improvements on the upcoming Model Y coming from Fremont and soon Austin I just gonna reorder again once I see people getting the updated cars but thinking about getting the MYP instead.
Luckily thanks to the used car market, I will not lose a dime selling my Model 3 and currently will profit $4k if I sold today. Hopefully another NJ rebate program comes out this summer as well to get some more free cash.
2019 order here and not a peep since they sent a textimatum two months ago to come off hold, which I did.

2019 order here and not a peep since they sent a textimatum two months ago to come off hold, which I did.
Methinks you're a proven customer and the MX has been delayed, so no need to badger you further. And you complied with the request.
Most of the issues have been on the MY order queue; not sure if the M3 queue has been as contentious any more but was early on.

Methinks you're a proven customer and the MX has been delayed, so no need to badger you further. And you complied with the request.
Most of the issues have been on the MY order queue; not sure if the M3 queue has been as contentious any more but was early on.
Yeah, there’s that order but also a PYD Stealth (It started as a YLR-RWD) order we have as well — This is the one we took off hold.

I took delivery yesterday.

Everything happened in a flash two weeks ago:

Tuesday: Tesla threatening to cancel August order if not unheld by Jan 27th
Wednesday: Unheld order
Friday: New EDD Feb 2 - Mar 2
Saturday: VIN
Delivery was 9-10 days later.
Well that's the roadmap for my buddy then.
Thanks for recap!

I, myself have a Nov 2021 M.Y order with EDD of May 2022.

No VIN & still in reservation status.
Happy to stay that way.