Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered Plaid before inevitable? price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the price increases on the S & X LR, and the previous price increase on the S Plaid, it seems like there is a high chance the X Plaid could see an increase, when deliveries start. Had been contemplating for a bit, but finally bit it.

The 20K difference between Plaid and LR on the X is the lowest its been. Ordered today : Solid black, White interior, 7 seat, ugly wheels.

Reactions: billy76 and MattMac
I bit and ordered a replacement for my October 1 lease expiring 2018 X75D, right after I saw the S increase. Sure enough, Tesla increased the X by 5,000. Red with black interior. When I ordered, it said Jan/Feb delivery. I hope it happens, but if I was a betting man, I would say March 31, the last day of the quarter, same as my current X which was delivered 8PM Sunday night, September 30, 2018, the last day of that quarter and Tesla's first profitable quarter ever.

Reactions: Big Earl
I also have an S on order that I placed in Feb 2020. Price has gone up 10K since then, not including the 2K reduction for those who ordered before the refresh was announced.

Talked to SA yesterday and he mentioned price would be honored as long as I don't change the design/options.

With the price increases on the S & X LR, and the previous price increase on the S Plaid, it seems like there is a high chance the X Plaid could see an increase, when deliveries start. Had been contemplating for a bit, but finally bit it.

The 20K difference between Plaid and LR on the X is the lowest its been. Ordered today : Solid black, White interior, 7 seat, ugly wheels.
We did the same thing for the same reason. Also because we believe the Plaid MX will be delivered before the long range (just a hunch). Ours will be white on black interior, 7 seat, FSD, 20" wheels.
That's exactly what Tesla wanted you to do.
Maybe. But if it gets me into the car quicker then that's okay with me.

So you essentially confirmed my conclusion. The thread is long because people rather wait instead of switching to Plaid. $50k difference (before recent price increase on base model) is not nothing (even for $100k+ car buyer).

Wait, I’m double confused. The current X price difference is $20k. Even for the oldest LR order holders it would only be $32k to switch to plaid I think. And since no Xs are shipping yet, the LR and plaid buyers are all waiting in the same line.

Sure there’s been speculation that plaid will ship first, but the S LR started shipping maybe within a month of first plaid S deliveries? I just don‘t think there are that many plaid orders to hold up the process much, even if they were prioritized.

Anyway, isn’t the whole point of this thread that X plaid hasn’t seen price increases yet, so if someone’s intending to order a plaid, waiting might not be a good idea? Since the LR/plaid gap is much bigger ($40k) on the S, there could well be a price increase on plaid X at some point. Or a sale on S plaid, of course. :)

My thoughts exactly. Placed an order for an MXP on Friday (white ext, cream int, 6 seat, 20" wheels). 20K for and extra 350 horsepower over the LR seems reasonable. Not sure if you can do that on any other vehicle.

May I ask why go for 7 seater vs 6 seater. I have ordered 7 seater but now considering to change to 6.

May I ask why go for 7 seater vs 6 seater. I have ordered 7 seater but now considering to change to 6.

We have 4 kids and I’m personally going for the 6 to give some forced separation in the middle row and leg room for the back row.

But I believe you can fold all the seats down in the 7-seater for more cargo room if needed, whereas the 6-seater middle row doesn’t fold. Not to mention, there would be a seat for a friend or whatever. Best case for me would be a 7-seater with foldable seats where you could remove the middle row middle seat when you didn’t need it. That, or let’s be honest, just a Tesla minivan. :)

Some pics of the folding seats:

Reactions: Ormond
We have 4 kids and I’m personally going for the 6 to give some forced separation in the middle row and leg room for the back row.

But I believe you can fold all the seats down in the 7-seater for more cargo room if needed, whereas the 6-seater middle row doesn’t fold. Not to mention, there would be a seat for a friend or whatever. Best case for me would be a 7-seater with foldable seats where you could remove the middle row middle seat when you didn’t need it. That, or let’s be honest, just a Tesla minivan. :)

Some pics of the folding seats:
I really really don't understand why Tesla could not make the 2nd row captain seats a little wider, with arm rests, and foldable with seat back recline. It is a 100k SUV, and 6 seats option costs $6500, it is ought to be perfect.

I thought 7 seater would give me enough room to haul things and also work great for camping trips, if we need to sleep in the car.
We have a 6 seater now and it’s great actually. Especially for our dog, that hates car rides. She is usually in the middle row between the seats. Now I’m thinking if I should change to 6 😁