Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering a Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time stalker and first time poster.

I've scheduled a test drive a few weeks from now and am finally ready to pull the trigger.

I plan to buy new as I want both the supercharging and self driving capabilities (ultimately). I'm looking for insight on the purchasing process. I understand there is no negotiation on the purchase price for new Teslas. I will be trading a vehicle in.

My questions:

1. Has anyone traded a vehicle in and how much were they willing to negotiate on the price of the trade in vehicle, if at all?

2. I'm interested in about $2000 worth of Tesla gear (24" wall connector, all weather mats, a couple jackets, car cover etc). Is this something anyone has worked into the deal?

3. I haven't seen a blur exterior with black leather interior and carbon (outside of the website). If anyone has a link to a few real life pictures I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

1. Has anyone traded a vehicle in and how much were they willing to negotiate on the price of the trade in vehicle, if at all?
The process seems to be that they collect the information you provide and make an "offer." The car has to live up to the description, however, or the offer will be reduced at the time of trade. The "offer" comes from a roundtable of sorts of prospective buyers, and, in my one experience, the offer was the offer. Take it or leave it. I got more by driving it to a couple BMW dealers and having them offer on the car. (Dealers buy cars even if you are not "trading" it.) One BMW dealer was higher than Tesla and the other was lower. I sold the car to the higher bidding BMW dealer.

2. I'm interested in about $2000 worth of Tesla gear (24" wall connector, all weather mats, a couple jackets, car cover etc). Is this something anyone has worked into the deal?
Tesla famously does not dicker on price or "throw-ins." Some salesmen were doing that to boost their own or their location's sales, but Musk put his foot down rather clearly. However, you can often get a concession if the car arrives with a difficult-to-resolve issue or you are buying used from Tesla. They can discount given an "adequate reason," whatever that is. But part of the Tesla experience is supposed to be "the deal is the deal. No haggling here."

3. I haven't seen a blu[e] exterior with black leather interior and carbon (outside of the website). If anyone has a link to a few real life pictures I'd appreciate it.
Sorry. Can't help you there.

Reactions: Cowby and AlsetRebu
The process seems to be that they collect the information you provide and make an "offer." The car has to live up to the description, however, or the offer will be reduced at the time of trade. The "offer" comes from a roundtable of sorts of prospective buyers, and, in my one experience, the offer was the offer. Take it or leave it. I got more by driving it to a couple BMW dealers and having them offer on the car. (Dealers buy cars even if you are not "trading" it.) One BMW dealer was higher than Tesla and the other was lower. I sold the car to the higher bidding BMW dealer.

Tesla famously does not dicker on price or "throw-ins." Some salesmen were doing that to boost their own or their location's sales, but Musk put his foot down rather clearly. However, you can often get a concession if the car arrives with a difficult-to-resolve issue or you are buying used from Tesla. They can discount given an "adequate reason," whatever that is. But part of the Tesla experience is supposed to be "the deal is the deal. No haggling here."

3. I haven't seen a blu[e] exterior with black leather interior and carbon (outside of the website). If anyone has a link to a few real life pictures I'd appreciate it.
Sorry. Can't help you there.

Thank you. Maybe not the answers I was hoping for but definitely what I was expecting. Appreciate it.

Reactions: JHWJR
Long time stalker and first time poster.

I've scheduled a test drive a few weeks from now and am finally ready to pull the trigger.

I plan to buy new as I want both the supercharging and self driving capabilities (ultimately). I'm looking for insight on the purchasing process. I understand there is no negotiation on the purchase price for new Teslas. I will be trading a vehicle in.

My questions:

3. I haven't seen a blur exterior with black leather interior and carbon (outside of the website). If anyone has a link to a few real life pictures I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
I'd highly recommend blue and white with carbon. Looks stunning.

Tesla-Model-X-at-the-Geneva-Motor-Show-2016.jpg

Reactions: AlsetRebu
1. The trade-in value from Tesla will be very low. Very. Take your car to Car Max which would almost guarantee much higher amount. Tesla, then, would match Car Max

2. Not going to happen

3. Sorry, no help
Tesla quoted me 1600 for my old Honda Van.

Sold it myself for 4 grand. Didn't even bother with CarMax.

In fact, it was purchased by two Tesla Employees. I didn't say I ordered one, but as they saw a Model X pass they started telling me about how amazing the car was. We got to chatting and they swear it is the best car ever built.

Reactions: AlsetRebu
I have 2 out of 3 but I added blue exterior with Xpel Stealth in case you are interested in getting your car wrapped and congrats man!

I know that car...and that location. I think you picked up when I dropped mine off.

The blue Xpel stealth looks amazing. It has this rich satin look, but still shines. I was quite (unexpectedly) impressed with it.

I'd highly recommend blue and white with carbon. Looks stunning.

Tesla-Model-X-at-the-Geneva-Motor-Show-2016.jpg

Beauty. My first choice is the ultra white. I have 2 kids (8 and 2 months) and plan to keep the car for a long time so I'm worried about longevity. Although the more research I do the more convinced I am that they may indeed hold up.

1. The trade-in value from Tesla will be very low. Very. Take your car to Car Max which would almost guarantee much higher amount. Tesla, then, would match Car Max

2. Not going to happen

3. Sorry, no help

Appreciate the advise. I will look at getting a quote or two for my trade.

Thanks for the pics. Is it me or does the blue on the MS look different than the blue on the MX in the pictures on teslas site?

Tesla quoted me 1600 for my old Honda Van.

Sold it myself for 4 grand. Didn't even bother with CarMax.

In fact, it was purchased by two Tesla Employees. I didn't say I ordered one, but as they saw a Model X pass they started telling me about how amazing the car was. We got to chatting and they swear it is the best car ever built.

Seems to be a theme. Sell your car somewhere else or at least get a quote and try to have them match.

I have 2 out of 3 but I added blue exterior with Xpel Stealth in case you are interested in getting your car wrapped and congrats man!

Thanks for the pictures. Your X is stunning. I can't tell if it's the lighting but it appears have much more of a matte finish which I really like. Do you mind sharing the cost on xpel stealth?

Thanks for the pictures. Your X is stunning. I can't tell if it's the lighting but it appears have much more of a matte finish which I really like. Do you mind sharing the cost on xpel stealth?
Thanks, xpel stealth is a matte finish vs. xpel ultimate is more shiny finish. Prices for full xpel wrap + opti-coat will vary from location to location. I paid $5k for paint correction (very minimum since I took it to the installer right after delivery), full wrap and opti-coat. If you are interested I would recommend getting 3-5 quotes and def. get referrals.