Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing's been announced yet. I think the announcements around the Base Model 3 and store closings mean that lining up at a local store is probably NOT going to be a thing this time. If Tesla is going all online, then I'd wager we'll just see an online reservation- potentially the day before or the day of the unveiling next Thursday.

AFAIK, the first weeks will be a $10,000 non refundable deposit and prices will be starting at $74,000 then when they are exhausting all of the first pre orders they will have a $5,000 deposit followed by a $10,000 price drop to $64,000, after a while of this and first order people posting about a refund for the price drop we will see a third wave of pre orders with $3,000 deposit at $57,000 where the second group of pre orders are complaining about what the third group of pre orders paid and....?

I don't think the frenzy will be the same as it was for the Model 3. Everyone was desperate to plop down their money(refundable of course), figuring it could be years of production before
you get your hands on one. Instead, by the end of 2018, someone could simply buy a model 3 and have it in a week. Remember when people here were complaining about their spot
in line? It seemed like they would never get a Model 3, but it didn't play out that way. It will be interesting to see if Tesla brags about 1st week reservations or if they are secretive.

There will definitely be a reservation if you believe Tesla needs/wants the cash, and it will be online.

I think the day one reservation numbers won't be as bonkers as Model 3 (assuming the same 1K deposit), but once these things start hitting the streets and without any significant kinks the sales/reservations are going to skyrocket.

If deposits are again $1k, I'll go ahead and do that because it's cheap. But my plan is to wait to configure/take delivery until they're at least 50k units into production since there won't be any federal tax incentive to jump earlier. I am already bummed by Elon's preannouncement that Y's range will be lower than Model 3 LR...I was hoping for a larger pack in Model Y. Reasons for me to upgrade from 3 to Y: softer suspension, higher ride height, longer range, more storage capacity. if only 1-2 of those 4 are achieved, I'm far more likely to just keep our 3 for more years until more of these criteria are achieved in some way (ideally by Tesla).

Reactions: TD_alseT
If deposits are again $1k, I'll go ahead and do that because it's cheap. But my plan is to wait to configure/take delivery until they're at least 50k units into production since there won't be any federal tax incentive to jump earlier. I am already bummed by Elon's preannouncement that Y's range will be lower than Model 3 LR...I was hoping for a larger pack in Model Y. Reasons for me to upgrade from 3 to Y: softer suspension, higher ride height, longer range, more storage capacity. if only 1-2 of those 4 are achieved, I'm far more likely to just keep our 3 for more years until more of these criteria are achieved in some way (ideally by Tesla).
Elon didn't say that the Y range will be lower than the 3 LR. He said that for equivalent batteries Y will have less range. Which does not mean that the Y won't have larger batteries than the 3 to compensate that.

Elon didn't say that the Y range will be lower than the 3 LR. He said that for equivalent batteries Y will have less range. Which does not mean that the Y won't have larger batteries than the 3 to compensate that.

This is one of the top questions. There's two competing viewpoints here-

1. For simplicity of design, Model Y has the same pack options as Model 3, and therefore less range. Mirroring Model S vs Model X
2. Model Y is a bigger vehicle so put in more battery so it at least matches if not exceeds the range of the Model 3.

Neither strategy is inherently wrong, but it will be interesting to see which one Tesla subscribes to.