Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering a Tesla NS in Romania

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone.I am seriously considering into ordering an MS,but I have some concerns:
1.Superchargers:
My biggest concern is that right now there are no SC in Romania and the EV charging stations infractucsture in almost to 0 in Romania.I can see on their SC map that they will be adding 3 SC in Romania in 2016, but I can't exactly know when ?I am wondering if they will keep adding more after those 3

2.Costs after buy ?
I am trading-in my BMW F10 525xd for it because it will soon be off warranty and things could get pretty expensive if components fail.If I trade-in my F10 and I lease an MS I could cover the costs only with fuel economy.I wanted to know what costs are there after buying an MS ? Are there any hidden costs besides maybe changing tires ?

3.Warranty and reliability
I can see on this forum that MS have serious issues with DU units and some other issues with door handles or the central screen.what happens if I have trouble with my DU and I am in Romania ? Here are no Tesla services around, the closest one is more than 1.000 Miles away ? Are they going to come here and fix my car or do I have to get myself to their service ?

Thanks everyone

P.S. Sorry for the title, I wanted to type Tesla MS

Hello everyone.I am seriously considering into ordering an MS,but I have some concerns:
1.Superchargers:
My biggest concern is that right now there are no SC in Romania and the EV charging stations infractucsture in almost to 0 in Romania.I can see on their SC map that they will be adding 3 SC in Romania in 2016, but I can't exactly know when ?I am wondering if they will keep adding more after those 3

2.Costs after buy ?
I am trading-in my BMW F10 525xd for it because it will soon be off warranty and things could get pretty expensive if components fail.If I trade-in my F10 and I lease an MS I could cover the costs only with fuel economy.I wanted to know what costs are there after buying an MS ? Are there any hidden costs besides maybe changing tires ?

I can see on this forum that MS have serious issues with DU units and some other issues with door handles or the central screen.what happens if I have trouble with my DU and I am in Romania ? Here are no Tesla services around, the closest one is more than 1.000 Miles away ? Are they going to come here and fix my car or do I have to get myself to their service ?

Thanks everyone

P.S. Sorry for the title, I wanted to type Tesla MS

I can take a quick shot:
1. Don't 100% count on the superchargers to be on time or come, but they likely will. You should just consider how easy it will be to live with MS without them for now. 99% of the time you will charge at home. You have a garage hopefully, etc. You'll want to get the model with most range possible if you do want to head out, 90D I'd say, also because you are in a cold weather climate and you'll lose quite a bit of range in cold months it seems. You'll want SCs to really take any road trips though - L2 just takes too long even, say 20+ miles per hour to charge, that would still take like 10-13 hours to get up to a range where you could leave again. If you are only going places close by though, say within range, and you are staying a long time without driving then you always have a 110 option but that takes forever, say 4 miles per hour so your car would have to sit for a couple days. So back to SC point, they could be late, they could not get approved, or Tesla could even go bust in future - but if you want to just be optimistic, then just know you'll have very limited range until they are up and running.

2. Cost after buying doesn't seem to be too bad. You mainly just have any outlet install at first to charge. If electricity is cheap then your bill can go up some but not much, but you'll save in comparison to gas. The biggest cost I can think of is at 4 years, you'll probably want to get the Extended Service Agreement, so that is $4000 USD here in the US. Most seem to want it.

3. For Warranty/Reliability - It seems most DU failures occur in 2012-2013 models and have gotten better, maybe 2015+. It is hard to know as data is all new and it may just be higher milage as well. Either way, for fixes of any type you would have to ship your car off it seems, perhaps to the nearest SC in Europe if allowed. You should plan on things likely going wrong sometime, say a door handle failure even or if an electronic component dies, etc. Your repair time will be much longer than normal.

Honestly in my opinion, due to the lack of Tesla infrastructure where you are, it may not make sense yet, but when a center opens, few SCs, etc. Then do it.

1.Superchargers:

2.Costs after buy ?

Cool. After you get your Model S, all other cars will be like something from the 1980s.

Call Tesla Europe and ask your questions.

http://www.teslamotors.com/en_EU/contact

There are Tesla owners in Estonia, where there are no service center. I guess Tesla flies in with a ranger to do service. Ask Tesla what it will cost you to get ranger service in Romania. Ask what sort of guaranteed reaction time they have for ranger service.

Also, take Tesla's dates regarding supecharger build out with a grain of salt. Would you buy the car if superchargers in Romania are delayed until 2018? I've done road trips from Norway to Sweden and Denmark both before superchargers and after, so I know the difference it makes. Without any EV charging infrastructure in place, you need to scout places where you can use a red three phase plug for charging, preferably a nice place where you can sleep, shop or eat while charging.

If you buy, when you sell your car, you may want to do that in a bigger market like Germany, Austria or the Netherlands.

Owning a model S is very low cost. It's tyres, washing/detailing equipment and service. Electricity is much cheaper than petrol. You'll probably need som electrical works to get enough power to charge your car in you garage. You might want a type2 charging station in your garage, and a type2 cable. Since there are few EV charging stations in Romania, you'll probably also need a 22kW capable portable EVSE for 64A red three phase plugs.

One of the biggest EV enthusiast/celebrities lives in Bucharest, his name is Rafael De Mestre (the guy behind 80days race around the world in a Tesla Roadster). Get in touch with him via Twitter or Facebook, and tell him your concerns about charging and other costs of importing/owning Model S in Romania. I am sure he'll be glad to help out.