Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering this weekend...Any tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would never just order online as your are paying full retail....end of quarter will offer the best deals on inventory cars.

I told my salesman I wanted inventory end of quarter like price right now otherwise Id wait to find at car at end of the quarter , and he located the exact car I wanted like 200 miles from me the next day.

Personally I wouldn't buy the performance unless it was 6-7 K off like many people have done, but for LR AWD version I was happy with 3-4K off as these cars are easier to move for Tesla and you won't get 6-7 K off unless it has 100-1000 miles on it.

I got a car with 7 miles on it.

I would never just order online as your are paying full retail....end of quarter will offer the best deals on inventory cars.

I told my salesman I wanted inventory end of quarter like price right now otherwise Id wait to find at car at end of the quarter , and he located the exact car I wanted like 200 miles from me the next day.

Personally I wouldn't buy the performance unless it was 6-7 K off like many people have done, but for LR AWD version I was happy with 3-4K off as these cars are easier to move for Tesla and you won't get 6-7 K off unless it has 100-1000 miles on it.

Well Said! Congrats on your purchase!

2 days before end of the quarter. Really depends where you live, most abundant deals are in California. The sales advisors will look up cars which are a certain distance from your location. Waiting till Sept means reduced tax credit, however with Tesla it's a gamble to predict future prices.

From my experience the LR RWD was and overall better car compared to the performance. The P3D is blazing fast but all the AWD Tesla's feel to planted on the ground and turns feel numb compared to the RWD. The LR RWD had the best efficiency and range. It seems the P3D I received a $7700 adjustment for and was $57,300 ($65k MSRP) can be purchased now for $61,500 MSRP for thesame build. I'm sure the performance model will continue to drop in price over the next year, be happy at your price you get and move along. I'm just guessing but I think performance will be able to be had for $45k 1 year from now easily. It's def not more than 1k more expensive to build compared to a AWD car. I love the P3D but I think for the masses they would benefit more from the range over 0-60 acceleration improvement.
Thanks for the input I really appreciate it. I am in SoCal myself and have several dealers within an hr or so. I will be sure to use your tactic when the time comes.

How would someone go about getting 6-7k off on a performance model? I'm looking to purchase this week and would love to save a few $$.

How would someone go about getting 6-7k off on a performance model? I'm looking to purchase this week and would love to save a few $$.

This weekend is likely not the best time to do it. The end of the quarter is the time to do it, when they're trying really hard to make their numbers and willing to make deals.

At the moment, it seems like all the deals of that magnitude have been on 2018 cars, or test drive cars, or similar (not brand new cars from Fremont).

In any case, I'd start by going to Tesla in person, and telling them you'd like a deal, and you're willing to take a test drive vehicle or an older can in inventory and etc. Let them look around for you and see what they come up with. Maybe call around if there's more than one Tesla place "in range".

Another bonus, you might get it right away instead of getting in the 2-5 week line. :)

When did you purchase if you don't mind me asking....I am planning on ordering around Aug but if I can get a better deal in September I will do it. Just curious as to how close to the end of the quarter you were.

I don't know if it works for you, but if you can get it delivered by June 30th, you'd get the $3,750 in federal tax credit. By waiting until Aug/Sept, it'll only be $1,775. That alone would cover a few months' worth of payments...

That was a big part of why I pulled the trigger now instead of waiting for my current lease to be up in September. I'm $1,500 in negative equity on the lease, but the $1775 tax incentive (plus avoiding the $700 lease end fee, plus the set of tires it'll need for lease end) more than makes up for it.

This weekend is likely not the best time to do it. The end of the quarter is the time to do it, when they're trying really hard to make their numbers and willing to make deals.

At the moment, it seems like all the deals of that magnitude have been on 2018 cars, or test drive cars, or similar (not brand new cars from Fremont).

In any case, I'd start by going to Tesla in person, and telling them you'd like a deal, and you're willing to take a test drive vehicle or an older can in inventory and etc. Let them look around for you and see what they come up with. Maybe call around if there's more than one Tesla place "in range".

Another bonus, you might get it right away instead of getting in the 2-5 week line. :)

Thank you!

Hey guys new to the forums. Been waiting to pull the trigger and I think it’s finally time! I live in Atlanta is it best to call my local Tesla dealer (only 2 in the area) to find inventory deals? Or another general number? Or any other suggestions? Willing to fly to pick up and drive back if I have to. Looking for best deal! Thanks!

Hey guys new to the forums. Been waiting to pull the trigger and I think it’s finally time! I live in Atlanta is it best to call my local Tesla dealer (only 2 in the area) to find inventory deals? Or another general number? Or any other suggestions? Willing to fly to pick up and drive back if I have to. Looking for best deal! Thanks!

Sadly now is not the time to score the inventory deals. Those mostly all happen in the final 2 weeks of the quarter which will end in June. Tons of inventory was available in CA, I'm not sure how Atlanta is. You basically want to find a local sales advisor who can find the deals for you. You can call your local Tesla Showroom and get connected with someone over the phone. For me I had spent $56k for my LR RWD Tesla and was upset with the huge price cuts but I started to see all the deals people were posting. I wanted to take advantage of the price cuts and deals so I called the Costa Mesa showroom sales Dept and asked for inventory deals. They asked what I was looking for and located a Blue P3D with white interior and 7 miles on it for $7700 off (65k msrp). Sent me a text for the specific car to order and it was ready to pickup the same day. All in all it was under $5k to upgrade from my LR car with 13k miles to a brand new P3D. Tesla wants to show increased sales this quarter and it's likely you will be able to score similar if not better deals if you wait till final week of June.

Sadly now is not the time to score the inventory deals. Those mostly all happen in the final 2 weeks of the quarter which will end in June. Tons of inventory was available in CA, I'm not sure how Atlanta is. You basically want to find a local sales advisor who can find the deals for you. You can call your local Tesla Showroom and get connected with someone over the phone. For me I had spent $56k for my LR RWD Tesla and was upset with the huge price cuts but I started to see all the deals people were posting. I wanted to take advantage of the price cuts and deals so I called the Costa Mesa showroom sales Dept and asked for inventory deals. They asked what I was looking for and located a Blue P3D with white interior and 7 miles on it for $7700 off (65k msrp). Sent me a text for the specific car to order and it was ready to pickup the same day. All in all it was under $5k to upgrade from my LR car with 13k miles to a brand new P3D. Tesla wants to show increased sales this quarter and it's likely you will be able to score similar if not better deals if you wait till final week of June.
Thanks for the advice!

Keep in mind that when some are referencing several "dealers" in their area, there are actually no Tesla dealers anywhere, point being that going from one to another doesn’t benefit because they are all pulling from the same inventory pool. The best option is to be clear with the owner advisor that you want a car in a specific budget price, but being flexible with colors or equipment will get the best results. You can want something at a specific price but if the car at that price doesn’t exist they will not be able to sell it to you. Pricing is set by the corporate office to control excess inventory and don’t communicate with customers and only work through internal messaging communications with owner advisors to adjust pricing by removing software options.

I am tempted to do the same but what about the sale tax issue???...I just paid like 4400 for my LR AWD and if upgraded you'd pay tax on perf model too back to back...unless you trade in and you pay tax on difference right?