Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oregon Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stoping by this morning. Can't quite do a day trip, as these appear to not be online just yet. Either that, or the cones are to keep you off the road seal. Tempting to test a charger out though. Oh so tempting. ;)

Two 60 min spots of the six total chargers.

Gal inside the Mountain High grocery store across the parking lot just couldn't understand why they're putting in 6, as the Aerovironment (green station) has only been used 6 times in the last year or two, she said. She wasn't sure when the TM stations are supposed to be activated.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sorry about, that taking pics and posting all of these from the small iPhone screen.

Yes Detroit lake. I'll be coming back tomorrow morning. Maybe cones up by then.

---

Came back this morning, cones still there. :(

Left yesterday with 256 miles rated. 37 degrees. Couple of side stops, two meetings, one joy ride, and finally made it to my brothers at 9pm, 17 degrees out, with 16 miles remaining. Drove 5 over speed limit the whole way, except for the joy ride. Elevation gain ~+3,000'

Charged up last night at 25amps for 11 hours, to get to 220 rated. 22 degrees. Drove straight home this morning, like I stole it, including 80mph (in a 55) right past a state trooper by Black Butte Ranch. Freaked me out. He must have been looking the other way. Pure luck! ;)
Elevation drop ~3,000'

This screenshot at the end today...

image.jpg

Last edited:
Probably well known to others, but apparently the Eugene SC is only 90kwh. I used it twice over the weekend and both times it peaked out charging at 89kwh. A little disappointing some brand new SCs are only 90kwh.

Probably well known to others, but apparently the Eugene SC is only 90kwh. I used it twice over the weekend and both times it peaked out charging at 89kwh. A little disappointing some brand new SCs are only 90kwh.

That's weird, the tech I talked to when it first went up said it was 120! He even let me peak inside and there were 12 chargers in it. I wonder if it's a software thing? My understanding is that both the SC and the Model S need to have the appropriate firmware in order to take advantage of 120. So maybe the hardware is there but not the software? It's odd that the new SC aren't simply 120 from the start.

That's weird, the tech I talked to when it first went up said it was 120! He even let me peak inside and there were 12 chargers in it. I wonder if it's a software thing? My understanding is that both the SC and the Model S need to have the appropriate firmware in order to take advantage of 120. So maybe the hardware is there but not the software? It's odd that the new SC aren't simply 120 from the start.

I'm on 5.8, so that's the newest software. I was the only car there and I was at 40 miles of range the first time, so if being that low can't get over 89kwh I'm not sure what would :(

I'm on 5.8, so that's the newest software. I was the only car there and I was at 40 miles of range the first time, so if being that low can't get over 89kwh I'm not sure what would :(

Hmmm, it makes total sense that you should be getting 120 if it's available given your SoC and software version. I wonder if the SC firmware needs to be upgraded?

As mentioned elsewhere - I have gotten 102kW in my S60 and saw another owner get 117kW in his 85 at Woodburn.

I'm pretty sure I got over a 100kW at Woodburn, but the best I got at Springfield was 33kW (at least while I was looking at it). I don't know if I got a bad charger, or just that the battery was sitting cold overnight at below 20F. I think I only got ~60kW at Folsom while charging on a cool morning.

The 33kW limit was probably related to the very cold battery. I've noticed based on the regen limit (which is no different then charging limits) that on very cold days, the battery heater only gets the battery up to about 30kW limits. After that you have to drive and let the inverter/motor heat the battery the rest of the way.

Do you happen to remember how much power you used going from Springfield to Grants Pass and then from there to Mt Shasta? I'll be taking my MS60 down to CA in a few months and would like to get an idea if I'll need to range charge at the Superchargers to make it with all the elevation changes. The cold temps you got would be a similar range hit to any rain I might instead encounter.