Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oregon Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now charging at Grants Pass. 88 kW. Made it from Woodburn on a full charge.

Funny story: I stopped by the test drives today in Eugene at the Inn at the Fifth. Four people from Grants Pass were waiting for a test drive with Chris Wimer of Tesla. I mentioned to the GP foursome that the Grants Pass supercharger was now operational; they thought I must be mistaken, there was no supercharger in GP, I must be thinking of the state charging system (i.e., West Coast Electric Highway, J1772 and CHAdeMo) at the Chamber of Commerce. I told them it was at the Big Bear Diner, 1900 NW 6th St. based on the info you all provided on this thread; they said no way, one of them said she worked in an office overlooking Big Bear Diner, another said he had breakfast at Big Bear Diner this morning, and neither of them had seen a supercharger there. So I pulled up this thread on my iPhone, showed them your pictures throughout construction and completion, and they were very impressed by your sleuthing! I explained my understanding of the process TMC members go through to search electrical permits, etc., and share info and pictures with others on this site, and then keep local Tesla staff informed. You all amaze me, too, so keep up the great work solving these mysteries! --- Merlyn

What did you guys set your cruise too Corning-Grants Pass-Woodburn and how many rated miles to you burn? I'm making that trek next week.

You'll have to ask nleggatt for now. I only did it southbound, and the direction matters a lot because of the elevation differences.

Southbound, I started at Woodburn with 255 rated miles, and arrived at Grants Pass with 9 rated miles, with a slight detour of about 4 miles at Springfield to see if that was working. I started at Grants Pass with 255 rated miles and ended at Corning with 15 rated miles. In each case, the other driver drove the first 1/3 a little fast (between 60 and 67), and I drove the last 2/3 very carefully, most of the time going about 62 drafting behind trucks when possible (when I found appropriate trucks going about that speed).

Seems pretty logical to me and would be my guess for why we've seen so much progress on these SCs in the past two months compared to other areas of the country. Seems little doubt that Tesla wants to be able to tout that this route is completely electrified, which is something that would psychologically be significant even if very few people would actually drive the entire route.

I'm driving it starting 10/26 or 10/27, and i am beside myself CRAZY with excitement. Go Tesla, or should i say, "See teslas Go!" Can't wait for end of the month.

Last edited:
I, like TsRocket, am excited about a trip to the Bay area, but frankly I couldn't stand the rated miles approaching zero! (Well done andyrebele!)
To add to previous thoughts about a proposed (actual?) SC in Detroit, we routinely go to Sunriver from Hillsboro OR with a slow charge in Sisters while eating lunch. There is a Chargepoint beside the McD at the edge of Sisters (230V, 30A, 20.9mi/Hr). Our actual driving distance was 186 miles but we used ~195 rated miles.
Start Hillsboro 241 rated
Arrive Sisters 89 rated
Leave Sisters 111 rated
Arrive Sunriver 66 rated

Bottom line: A trip from Portland (or Woodburn) to Bend or Sunriver very doable with a S85 (without a recharge in Sisters).

I, like TsRocket, am excited about a trip to the Bay area, but frankly I couldn't stand the rated miles approaching zero! (Well done andyrebele!)
To add to previous thoughts about a proposed (actual?) SC in Detroit, we routinely go to Sunriver from Hillsboro OR with a slow charge in Sisters while eating lunch. There is a Chargepoint beside the McD at the edge of Sisters (230V, 30A, 20.9mi/Hr). Our actual driving distance was 186 miles but we used ~195 rated miles.
Start Hillsboro 241 rated
Arrive Sisters 89 rated
Leave Sisters 111 rated
Arrive Sunriver 66 rated

Bottom line: A trip from Portland (or Woodburn) to Bend or Sunriver very doable with a S85 (without a recharge in Sisters).
...or stop in Detroit and charge there (230V/30A as well) and have lunch at KC. The two ladies make some awesome burgers.
Of course if they add a Supercharger next to the AeroVironment station there we'll be fully charged by the time we're done with lunch, instead of having added just ~20 miles of range :)

You'll have to ask nleggatt for now. I only did it southbound, and the direction matters a lot because of the elevation differences.

Southbound, I started at Woodburn with 255 rated miles, and arrived at Grants Pass with 9 rated miles, with a slight detour of about 4 miles at Springfield to see if that was working. I started at Grants Pass with 255 rated miles and ended at Corning with 15 rated miles. In each case, the other driver drove the first 1/3 a little fast (between 60 and 67), and I drove the last 2/3 very carefully, most of the time going about 62 drafting behind trucks when possible (when I found appropriate trucks going about that speed).

We didn't make it to grants pass, we were short by about 60 to 100 miles (can't remember) but we drafted and drove really really slow

Could probably do it in a 85 but you'd have to be careful still. Just to much altitude gain. Once mt Shasta is up it will be a breeze of a drive

This was just posted in the topic "Eugene/Springfield Supercharger"

Originally Posted by Sgt Barone<br />
Has Eugene been turned on today? It's the final one to be listed on the Tesla site!
<br />
<br />
Sitting in front of it now. The big greet transformer looks to be installed but the parking spots are still coned off. Also, pressing the button on the charge handle didn't cause my charge port to open so I'm assuming power is available but the system isn't turned on yet. I imagine this place is just an inspection and trial run away from being open to the public. No, I didn't try plugging my car in; they're still pretty obviously not interested in it being used (cones) and I'm not all that keen on using my model s as a guinea pig. <br />
<br />
attachment.php?attachmentid=33729&d=1382570717.jpg

Springfield SC

last post 10/19/13, anyone been by here lately? last link for me ... headed southbound ... next tuesday

last post 10/19/13, anyone been by here lately? last link for me ... headed southbound ... next tuesday

I went down and chatted with the SUB guys who were working in the transformer box this morning. They tell me they should have the SUB part done today but that ADK had some minor things left to wrap up. If ADK gets to it pronto they didn't see any reason it couldn't be up an running tomorrow.

I'll check back tomorrow if I have time and give y'all an update.