Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other Drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dunno, Puddles, I've had a lot of instances of other drivers getting mad at me just for driving a Tesla. I've had at least a half dozen "coal rolling" experiences with large 4x4 diesel pickups, and numerous other incidents of people driving aggressively just because they didn't like my car. Far more than I ever had previously when I was driving a Honda Accord.

IMO, you're just lucky that you haven't had it happen to you yet.

Teslas are fairly common here in california right now, so if a truck driver was trying to "coal roll" one here they would be doing it every 5 minutes. I think it would be pretty rare for coal rolling to happen here in cali vs in other places where teslas might be more rare. As was said by someone earlier, here, they are very common. Not quite as common as toyota camry's as was said, but definitely as common as BMWs, Mercedes, Audi, etc.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
In California people often confuse the HOV lane with the passing lane. If I’m driving my Tesla at 70mph in the HOV lane to avoid congestion, people will tail gate me or drive around me so that they can go 80.

I get the fact that it’s going to happen in the actual passing lane on a highway. That doesn’t make it legal, and keeping up with the cars going 80mph just to drive the same speed may be the “safer” thing to do, but it doesn’t exempt you from getting a speeding ticket.

Behaving in an aggressive manner in the HOV lane really irritates me. It’s not a passing lane folks. So if people are driving 70mph in that lane while the rest of the traffic is going 45mph, just live with it.

In California people often confuse the HOV lane with the passing lane. If I’m driving my Tesla at 70mph in the HOV lane to avoid congestion, people will tail gate me or drive around me so that they can go 80.

That goes both ways though. Not ever far left lane is a HOV lane and yet there is always a Prius chilling at 65 in that lane thinking it's the HOV lane, slowing everyone else that uses the passing lane to pass.

I get the fact that it’s going to happen in the actual passing lane on a highway. That doesn’t make it legal, and keeping up with the cars going 80mph just to drive the same speed may be the “safer” thing to do, but it doesn’t exempt you from getting a speeding ticket.

Behaving in an aggressive manner in the HOV lane really irritates me. It’s not a passing lane folks. So if people are driving 70mph in that lane while the rest of the traffic is going 45mph, just live with it.
Sorry OCR1, I have to disagree with most of your post. The HOV lane is not exempt from the "Slower traffic keep right" COURTESY. If you are driving along at any speed and see a bunch of cars immediately behind your and a lot of space in front of you, you should get your butt out of the way.

Sorry OCR1, I have to disagree with most of your post. The HOV lane is not exempt from the "Slower traffic keep right" COURTESY. If you are driving along at any speed and see a bunch of cars immediately behind your and a lot of space in front of you, you should get your butt out of the way.

That may be your personal preference, but the law says otherwise. So if you are entitled to drive in the carpool lane, and the other traffic is barely moving, but you don’t want to break the law and drive over 70 mph, you expect people to sit and stop and go traffic while you break the law and drive at any speed you deem appropriate?

Having just driven from the Bay Area to Orange County and back, I'll throw my opinion in with those who are frustrated with the failure of drivers to use the left lane of a two lane freeway for anything except passing. Getting stuck behind a line of cars in the left lane just forces people to pass on the right in the short gaps between semis. It's really obnoxious and I try to show proper behavior by always moving to the right even if no one is behind me.

But I guess I'm lucky as I don't think I've had any anti Tesla experiences. Or maybe I'm oblivious.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
That may be your personal preference, but the law says otherwise. So if you are entitled to drive in the carpool lane, and the other traffic is barely moving, but you don’t want to break the law and drive over 70 mph, you expect people to sit and stop and go traffic while you break the law and drive at any speed you deem appropriate?
By your own admission, you are already speeding. So I have to ask you:
  • Is it okay for you to break the law, but not others or
  • It's up to you to determine to which level it is acceptable to break the law?
I would really like to know which of these two is the correct statement for you?

There's the letter of traffic law (which civilians should not take it upon themselves to enforce) and the reality of driving in a manner which attracts hostility. It's safer to drive in a manner which matches prevailing speeds and is just part of understanding driving culture where you're driving. There are some real downsides to being that slower 'rock in a stream', because it encourages lane changes around you which are often not safe or are downright hostile—shots across the stern, as it were. Having parity with traffic around you allows you to better control your spacing and is safer (even with respect to how surface street limits are measured and established). Speed disparity causes more lane changes (some of them unfriendly) and more accidents—not to mention being the common denominator in what some might call 'road rage'.

The perception of traffic behavior by the slower driver is often wildly different from the everyday experience of those who drive with the flow of traffic. I remember my mom's driving. She was unnaturally slow but also stubborn about it. Road rage magically followed her everywhere but to me this was an obvious result of her slow, stubborn, and overly fearful approach to driving.

Last edited:
We have a lot of damn asses in San Diego, and for that reason I stay in the slow lane and let those guys race right past me in the fast lane, don’t know what’s the rush.

As far as pulling over to the right lane if there’s a train of cars behind you. You never know if this guy that’s tailgating you has an emergency or maybe a POS, just move over and prevent yourself a road rage situation. Just not worth it.

Safe driving guys.

Fred

I’d personally be honored if someone burnt $1-3 worth of diesel rolling coal to show their disagreement with my vehicle choice. But I didn’t get a Tesla as an ideology choice.
Yup, it tickles me every time they do it. Well, all but one time when the guy put lives at risk in the process.

And I'm with you on the ideology choice, too. I didn't buy my Tesla based on ideology at all. It has only been since buying the car that I've really started thinking about Elon's stated goal with the company.

I burn around 20,000 pounds of jet fuel every day that I'm at work. I guess helping out by driving a Tesla is the least I could do.