Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our Group Collection at Edinburgh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That almost sounds like a smooth operation :)
Glad it went so well and they sorted the wee issue appropriately!
Just need to find me a car now....

It was fairly slick and polished - they’d obviously done it before. It doesn’t sound like everyone at Edinburgh gets the group handover though, so it possibly depends on how busy they are etc.

Hopefully you’ll get a car soon - it’ll definitely be worth the wait!

There was no mention of paying for them :)

That’s good to hear. I’m glad they got it sorted!

I could swap/steal the plates in about 10 seconds flat :eek:

I could have done with you being around on Thursday when we swapped our plates! It took us about 20 minutes! :confused:

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
I could have done with you being around on Thursday when we swapped our plates! It took us about 20 minutes! :confused:
While we were waiting for the handover (they were running late) I decided to “familiarise myself” with the plate holders on the showroom car. With a small amount of pressure on the right hand edge of the holder (enough to push the little tab backwards) I was then able to get my fingernail under the end of the plate, ease it slightly forwards, and then slide it out! It’s a very poor design from a security point of view. The Tesla salespeople were by this time giving me slightly disapproving looks :rolleyes:

Even though I’ve got my second set of plates I’m still erring towards the vinyl stick-on plates we’ve discussed elsewhere. The Tesla plate holders are a bit clunky and plasticky. I’ll probably put the Tesla plates on when I can transfer the number next week, and see how I feel about it after a week or two.

Reactions: dst87
I agree with @Brando

Multi coat red bonnet respray, for a chip you barely noticed?

If it were me I'd be getting some ChipEx or whatever they use from them and doing it myself. Bonus you end up with a touch up kit for the inevitable stone chips etc.

That bonnet was sprayed with the rest of the car, in the same conditions, with the same batch of paint, so will match. A resprayed bonnet, particularly in red, particularly multi-coat, they would have to be a very good paint shop to get it to match well.

I agree with @Brando

Multi coat red bonnet respray, for a chip you barely noticed?

If it were me I'd be getting some ChipEx or whatever they use from them and doing it myself. Bonus you end up with a touch up kit for the inevitable stone chips etc.

That bonnet was sprayed with the rest of the car, in the same conditions, with the same batch of paint, so will match. A resprayed bonnet, particularly in red, particularly multi-coat, they would have to be a very good paint shop to get it to match well.

I mean, I'd assume they'll send it to a competent body shop who actually know what they're doing. If they don't, I won't be happy.

For reference, I didn't request this service - they just booked it because of the damage they caused. I could certainly ask them about an isolated touch-up instead. You've got me worried now!

Yes, I agree with that. I don't actually mind the look of them from afar, but certainly up close they look and feel a bit naff.

The vinyl stick-on ones are definitely still in consideration for me...
After looking more closely at my car this morning the plate holders on it are different from the ones in the showroom! Not much more secure though - to get the plates out I just levered the two vertical plastic sides down from the top, and they unclip allowing access to the plate. After swapping the plate just clip back together.

I mean, I'd assume they'll send it to a competent body shop who actually know what they're doing.

...I didn't request this service - ...
Consider:
How much did you pay for this special factory multi-coat red paint?
I'd assume they'll send it to a competent body shop who [I'd assume they'll] actually know what they're doing.
Different sprayers, [factory robotic vs handheld] Drying room? - I assume only factories have those IR or UV rooms.
Different paint batch (different paint company? - certainly a different paint factory?), same for other coats, same for clear coat.

OK, I'll assume you've never tried to repaint & match someone else's paint job, so my thoughts don't register.
... If they don't, I won't be happy.
Not to worry. You didn't even notice the paint chip. I'm almost sure you won't even notice the resprayed hood.
After all they offered to do it for free and give you a loaner car! Who would pass that deal up?
No one notices in the rain what your bonnet looks like. Did you ever even notice another bonnet?
Wonder what it will cost? Call a few shops and ask?

Lucky you that any car company would spend that much money too keep you happy [or not - as only you actually know if you're happy or not].

What could possibly go wrong? free deal vs paint chip kit (then you'd have to learn how to use it) ... first world problems.

After all my beating, this horse must be dead.

To quote @FEERSUMENDJIN
I think he will be driving too fast and laughing too hard to notice the paint job !

Last edited:
Thanks for the great write up dst87, your exeperience was similar to mine on my collection yesterday. There were six of us collecting our cars from Edinburgh. The handover process went smoothly enough and despite my best efforts I couldn't find any faults or flaws in the car.
Car was also charged to about 80%, aparently they checked postcodes and charged those with further to travel to a higher percentage.
Having test driven a Model S 100D previously, the Model 3 is a different animal all together, quick and surefooted, just a pleasure to drive. I haven't stopped grinning since getting in and taking off from the Service Centre. ( Not that it looks like it from the pic, don't like getting my photo taken :D )

IMG_1575.JPG

Similar experience to @dst and @MorayEVGuy on Saturday. We had a group handover also and it went fine....plebnty of time to look around the car and report any issues. I had 2 small dirt specks in the paint which I had logged with the team before leaving.

I'm very happy with the car, its super easy to drive. We did around 400 miles around Scotland and stayed in hotels that had destination chargers. I eventually let the wife get in the driving seat and she also enjoyed the drive! Regen is excellent, second nature.

We arrived home this afternoon and as soon as I got out of the car there were around 10 kids standing in awe of the car at the end of my driveway! I let them have a look around and inside and they all loved it!

Oh and the aeros (and rims underneath) look way better in real life that any picture I've see. I think I may actually keep them!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    742.2 KB · Views: 77
Similar experience to @dst and @MorayEVGuy on Saturday. We had a group handover also and it went fine....plebnty of time to look around the car and report any issues. I had 2 small dirt specks in the paint which I had logged with the team before leaving.

I'm very happy with the car, its super easy to drive. We did around 400 miles around Scotland and stayed in hotels that had destination chargers. I eventually let the wife get in the driving seat and she also enjoyed the drive! Regen is excellent, second nature.

We arrived home this afternoon and as soon as I got out of the car there were around 10 kids standing in awe of the car at the end of my driveway! I let them have a look around and inside and they all loved it!

Oh and the aeros (and rims underneath) look way better in real life that any picture I've see. I think I may actually keep them!

View attachment 447100 View attachment 447101 View attachment 447103 View attachment 447105

did you get a UK reg or a NI reg?
I may have seen your red Model 3 in Belfast city centre early one morning driving past the tech - else another red one about.

So if u had a 9am slot u reckon you’d be away by 10am ? My current eta is a Saturday that I need to back in West Coast if Ireland on the Sat night for a party I can’t miss , wondering is making a 1.30pm ferry achievable in Cairnryan..

So if u had a 9am slot u reckon you’d be away by 10am ? My current eta is a Saturday that I need to back in West Coast if Ireland on the Sat night for a party I can’t miss , wondering is making a 1.30pm ferry achievable in Cairnryan..

You could definitely be away within the hour. The group element doesn’t take too long so as long as you were happy enough to skip the check over stage, you could just drive away once they roll the shutters up to your car. I would suggest contacting them beforehand and stressing you have a decent drive to do against a tight schedule - our car was a late arrival on Friday night so was under 50% charged when we collected. I guess ideally you have close to a full battery before you set off, it’s a bit of a trek to Cairnryan.

Group handover is pretty quick, maybe 20-30 mins max. You could be away by 10am but would have have less time to check the car over.

Main thing to check would be paint as any defects there need to be reported within the first 100miles, your trip to cairnryan would be more than that so thats where I would spend my time checking if your in a hurry.

I'll post more later but just home after picking up SR+ this morning in Edinburgh.

Quick group presentation - then out to the cars, happy to chat, cover anything more you wished to see. Not rushed at all.

Car was spotless as far as I can see, along with the other 4 people picking up - No one had any issues as far as I know. Drove 70 miles home - what a car!!!!

• Love
Reactions: Roy W.