Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of whack AC pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And another new entry on Plugshare. (Price wasn't shown on Plugshare so I had to dig out the Everty app).

photostudio_1695696035198.jpg

Article in today's Sydney Morning Herald about chargers being installed in anticipation of electric boats - You know about electric cars. Now Sydney Harbour is about to be carpeted with electric boats

View attachment 1056866

Seavolt sure are priced at a premium for their clientele - 69c/kWh for 22kW AC in car parks, 79c/kWh for 22kW AC pedestal chargers at marinas, and 99c/kWh for 75kw-350kw DC chargers at marinas!

Bring on electric jetskis. I find them to be a very selfish hobby as the only person not being annoyed by it is the person on it. Im sure they are having a great time, but the noise is incredibly loud and annoys everyone for kms. Not only in the ocean, but take a book up the Murray River to read under a tree to relax and sure enough... here they come...
And motorbikes...

Yes, im getting old and cranky but i only have so much time spare to unwind and there is nothing more testing of my acceptance of the present moment than some idiot ripping it up and annoying everyone else in theirs!

There was one on Lower North East Road out of Adelaide towards the hills which was over $1/kwh for 7kw. It was at a pub, i cant find it any more on plugshare, maybe its been removed?

Article in today's Sydney Morning Herald about chargers being installed in anticipation of electric boats - You know about electric cars. Now Sydney Harbour is about to be carpeted with electric boats

Yeah I read this article. Bring it on. Not only are electric boats much quieter and emit no horrible smells whatsoever, they are all hydrofoils and create almost no wake, and provide a smooth ride even over choppy waters. They are so much better than fossil boats in just about every respect.

Reactions: dronus
Yeah I read this article. Bring it on. Not only are electric boats much quieter and emit no horrible smells whatsoever, they are all hydrofoils and create almost no wake, and provide a smooth ride even over choppy waters. They are so much better than fossil boats in just about every respect.
So much better for the environment too, i was down at Glenelg the other day and the Exon-Valdez looking oil slick is still there.

• Informative
Reactions: Jules22 and Vostok
Free AC is used the same as free WiFi - to get the customers in through the door.
Except that free wifi is not free - you allow access to your phone basically like free social media, free google maps, free Google search engine. They done even need you to log in to the free wifi - they just ping your wifi and know which shop you visited and when etc
Free AC does not necessarily increase foot traffic . At one shopping centre near me, people sit and wait queuing for chargers, then sit in their car while it charges, or they come in 2 cars, plug in one car and drive off in the 2nd car. This is in a suburb where everyone has a double lockup garage.

Just as parking varies in price for essentially the same product - one parking bay per car, the price will vary according to its potential / perceived benefit to the car driver

The ICC darling harbour today charged me $50 for 5 hours but I used the free 7kW NRMA ocular tower AC chargers = about 35kW. (20-70%). No waiting for chargers either. That's one way to do it - charge for parking and throw in free charging but don't make parking and charging free.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jules22 and dronus
Except that free wifi is not free - you allow access to your phone basically like free social media, free google maps, free Google search engine. They done even need you to log in to the free wifi - they just ping your wifi and know which shop you visited and when etc
Free AC does not necessarily increase foot traffic . At one shopping centre near me, people sit and wait queuing for chargers, then sit in their car while it charges, or they come in 2 cars, plug in one car and drive off in the 2nd car. This is in a suburb where everyone has a double lockup garage.

Just as parking varies in price for essentially the same product - one parking bay per car, the price will vary according to its potential / perceived benefit to the car driver

The ICC darling harbour today charged me $50 for 5 hours but I used the free 7kW NRMA ocular tower AC chargers = about 35kW. (20-70%). No waiting for chargers either. That's one way to do it - charge for parking and throw in free charging but don't make parking and charging free.
I agree, nothing is free. Most of the time the person is the product being sold.

That's bizarre about people using those chargers if you can charge at home. Even if its free, is it worth all the effort for a few bucks?
I don't even stop at the free jolt anymore, just charge at home and spend that time playing with the dog, go to the gym or stare blankly at a wall..
Maybe they wait in the car as they have idle-fee-anxiety?

Reactions: Jules22
Agree. But as we saw with 4c supermarket fuel discounts, discounts and especially free, have a weird attachment.

At least in Sydney's East I'm suspecting some rideshare drivers have found Jolts unlimited plans and are using the chargers as waiting zones off peak.

Which then actually reduces the number of people willing to use (or sign up to their other plans) as the chargers are often showing 60+ minute waits.

Last edited:
Even if its free, is it worth all the effort for a few bucks?

For some people, “free” results in completely disproportionate or irrational behaviour changes 🤷‍♂️

Even though I can charge at home, I sometimes use EVX polechargers in Sydney for convenience and I like to support their product because I think it’s fantastic. But it is a paid service, not free.

I also sometime use the nearest Evie charger as well. In fact 2 days ago, it was slightly cheaper for me to charge at Evie than it would have been to charge at home on Amber with NSW spot prices being &$@*#. So I did.