Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outdoor NEMA 14-50 Enclosure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay one last question I think. On the Wall Charger, I know that there is a button that pops the electrical cover on the car. Is that the case with the UMC? If not, how do you open the cover on the car? Can you physically open it, or do you need to open it from an app or inside the car?

If you can't open it with the UMC, and can't physically open it, then that would clearly point to the wall charger as being the more convenient option.

Okay one last question I think. On the Wall Charger, I know that there is a button that pops the electrical cover on the car. Is that the case with the UMC?
Yes, they both have that same button on the handle--no difference at all there.

If not, how do you open the cover on the car? Can you physically open it
Yes, all of the Tesla cars built since about 2016(?) can have the charge port door open just by pressing it with your finger, so it's still totally simple without having to go to an app or anything elsewhere. And for the S and X, that have a key fob, pressing and holding on the back trunk button for a few seconds will pop open the charge port.

I have a Model 3 and went with NEMA 14-50 and UMC for home charging. Unless you think you will need to charge your car with 200+ miles quickly, I don't think the extra wall connector charging speed is worth it. On our UMC with 32 Amps continuous charge, the Model charges on the order of 30 miles per hour. That means it can charge from empty to full overnight. After we thought about it, we realized we could not imagine both being really low on charge and needing to rush off in an instant for four hours of unforeseen driving.

Also, where I live (Albany, NY) there are two supercharger stations, and there are plenty down most any major highway I might take away from home. So if I needed a very fast charge all of a sudden, supercharging could be the go-to option.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Great post! I totally agree!

My only question: Do you think the UMC itself needs protection from the elements? Do you think were the 12" adapter connects to the UMC would be a water ingress point (as it would be hanging down below the cover to the receptacle box presumably?)

I have not studied my UMC Gen 2 that closely to see how waterproof that port is and if there are any other breather holes in the UMC.

I’m curious about the same. The part where the adapter plug goes into the UMC.

My feeling is one would want to orient the umc box it so that side would be down. But I have a gen1 so I haven’t looked at it either.

I didn't know how the 14-50 plug on the UMC was oriented, and had my 14-50 receptacle installed like the Tesla 14-50 instruction diagram shows. In that configuration (that is, with the rounded plug receptacle down), the UMC needs to hang from a hook above the plug. If you want the UMC to hang down, orient the 14-50 receptacle with the rounded plug part UP.

Reactions: eprosenx
I didn't know how the 14-50 plug on the UMC was oriented, and had my 14-50 receptacle installed like the Tesla 14-50 instruction diagram shows. In that configuration (that is, with the rounded plug receptacle down), the UMC needs to hang from a hook above the plug. If you want the UMC to hang down, orient the 14-50 receptacle with the rounded plug part UP.

Actually the installation diagram shows Ground To Top (The round part).

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default.../NEMA_14-50_installation_guide_NA_US_2017.pdf

• Informative
Actually the installation diagram shows Ground To Top (The round part).

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default.../NEMA_14-50_installation_guide_NA_US_2017.pdf

That's what he said.

• Disagree
That's what he said.

He said the diagram was incorrect, but it was correct. His electrician wired it wrong on the post above. Mine was wired wrong too but it was my fault because when my electrician asked if I have any diagram I said I don't and told him to just pick a side up. Of course he picked ground down. For 8 months I hanged my block thing upside down. Until I got solar and the solar electrician saw it and flipped it around for me. He said that the first electrician should have known even without diagram that most NEMA 14-50 for EV are supposed to be ground side up.

I’m curious about the same. The part where the adapter plug goes into the UMC.

My feeling is one would want to orient the umc box it so that side would be down. But I have a gen1 so I haven’t looked at it either.

Ok, I went and got out my UMC and an extra 14-50r box I had ready to install at my dads place.

More photos of a UMC than you can shake a stick at!

I don’t really know if I would want to leave this thing outside permanently uncovered. I mean, it does appear completely sealed up, but I wonder how it exchanges gas in and out of the enclosure? In Oregon *eveything* gets wet. If you have standing water on something sealed and you have a pressure change (which happens constantly) the water can get sucked inside some very unusual places through tiny seams.

3F6634C6-6FBF-49A2-B3A5-3615DFBDBECA.jpeg

B7C44743-DFBF-405C-86A7-A0E0049C475E.jpeg

6CAC7545-F947-423A-8D2D-8EF24302A531.jpeg

66F49C93-F6E6-41DA-9190-5BA8852F55C4.jpeg

ACD2C71B-EF88-4329-BE8C-BC428D106C1C.jpeg

DE015676-5B79-4AA1-A8D7-8B6941816B96.jpeg

06C81BC3-41B3-4089-AE86-F922153A243A.jpeg

A46B612D-100F-4A4D-BB21-0E1AB2F596C9.jpeg

Ok, I went and got out my UMC and an extra 14-50r box I had ready to install at my dads place.

More photos of a UMC than you can shake a stick at!

I don’t really know if I would want to leave this thing outside permanently uncovered. I mean, it does appear completely sealed up, but I wonder how it exchanges gas in and out of the enclosure? In Oregon *eveything* gets wet. If you have standing water on something sealed and you have a pressure change (which happens constantly) the water can get sucked inside some very unusual places through tiny seams.

Oh interesting. I just realized that the three holes in the side of the UMC may be water "weep" holes to give water that comes in the top a place to drain out?

So maybe this thing is designed to hang out in wet places and be just fine?

Of course as soon as I say that, I found the UMC Gen 2 manual and it has some interesting warnings in it:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf

"Do not use the Mobile Connector when either you, the vehicle or the Mobile Connector is exposed to severe rain, snow, electrical storm or other inclement weather."

"Protect the Mobile Connector from moisture, water and foreign objects at all times. If any exist or appear to have corroded or damaged the Mobile Connector, do not use the Mobile Connector."

"If rain falls during charging, do not allow rain water to run along the length of charge cable, causing the electrical outlet or charging port to become wet."

So depending on how you interpret these, you may or may not be able to charge in the rain?

I am not sure what "severe rain" is and how that might be different from "normal rain"?

I am going to install a 2nd 14-50 this Friday. I am still debating whether to put it inside the garage or outside. Putting it outside would be easier to charge (as there is not enough room in the garage to park 2 Tesla), but I either have to remove the UMC from the plug everyday or anyone could drive up and start charging their Tesla on my driveway (highly unlikely I think). More likely would be someone stealing the UMC when it is unplugged from the car so I would have to get an outdoor enclosure that could be locked with a pad lock (which people could easily cut if they realized the UMC is $300+).

So I am leaning toward just putting it inside the garage and run it under the garage door out. I bought a bag of 1/2" tube straps to put over the cable at the point where the garage door hit the cable to protect the cable. And if someday we could clean out the garage (highly unlikely) I maybe able to park inside!

This is the one that we ended up installing outside.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQWP56/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Seems pretty good so far, although I have a minor voltage issue from the power company.

I have one similar to that but I dislike it since the cover won't latch in the "up" position and it also does not have a locking ability I don't think.

Mine may be a different brand, but I also dislike it since it is not as high quality as the Eaton one - I wish I had bought the Eaton one (I don't think the one I have even supports 75c wire on the terminals - only 60c).

I have a Model 3 and went with NEMA 14-50 and UMC for home charging. Unless you think you will need to charge your car with 200+ miles quickly, I don't think the extra wall connector charging speed is worth it. On our UMC with 32 Amps continuous charge, the Model charges on the order of 30 miles per hour. That means it can charge from empty to full overnight. After we thought about it, we realized we could not imagine both being really low on charge and needing to rush off in an instant for four hours of unforeseen driving.

Also, where I live (Albany, NY) there are two supercharger stations, and there are plenty down most any major highway I might take away from home. So if I needed a very fast charge all of a sudden, supercharging could be the go-to option.

O1,

Really great point about not needing fast charging time when the NEMA 14-50 will charge just fine overnight. Save $500! And my electrician said that we may not even be able to install the Wall Charger since it's 50 amp and our box is rated at 125, considering all the other stuff we have running in the house. DIY for us! I can just see a forum photo gallery with everyone's outdoor NEMA 14-50 enclosures, kind of like a mini outhouse gallery.

I have one similar to that but I dislike it since the cover won't latch in the "up" position and it also does not have a locking ability I don't think.

Mine may be a different brand, but I also dislike it since it is not as high quality as the Eaton one - I wish I had bought the Eaton one (I don't think the one I have even supports 75c wire on the terminals - only 60c).

The one I got definitely locks and I tend to put a small lock on it whenever I plug in. It feels pretty solid and reasonably weatherproof.

And my electrician said that we may not even be able to install the Wall Charger since it's 50 amp and our box is rated at 125, considering all the other stuff we have running in the house.

No different installing a 14-50 or a WC set at the 50a breaker setting. A WC does have the ability to set down to 12a max (or something pretty low).

Not marketing one or another, the UMC is fine for many folks.

• Informative
As I know NOTHING about electricity, can I use the above NEMA 14-50 to charge at 48 amps which I think is the max for my LR M3? I guess it depends on the breaker I use. 50 amp?
A 50a breaker allows a maximum of 40a continuous (80% rule).

The UMC that comes with the model 3 allows a max of 32a.

To go over 32a, one would need the wall connector.

Edit to add - a 14-50 outlet can only have a 50a max breaker.