Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On July 7th my OVMS module send me the last SMS - since then it has not responded to SMS or send SMS notifications to my iPhone. GPRS still works fine with the iPhone App. Settings in the App under Parameters#3 is "SMS" and i cannot change it to "SMS,IP" which I have tried. Re-boot has no effect on the problem and network connections appears to be fine; OVMS indicators - RED light short rapid blinks, and GREEN light solid on. To my understanding this means that both the GSM and GPRS networks are up and connected. My mobile was originally registered with the car in OVMS and this has not been changed.
I can send a SMS from the module's mobile account on the internet and receive it on my iPhone indicating that my mobile plan is all right. The problem persists at other geographies and therefore not related to limited network coverage.

Any suggestions to the underlying cause to my problem and how to fix it ?

Thnx in advance, Q

On July 7th my OVMS module send me the last SMS - since then it has not responded to SMS or send SMS notifications to my iPhone.

For problems like this, best to eMail me at info (at) openvehicles (dot) com. Let me know you car type, vehicle ID, and openvehicles.com account.

From what I can see (matching up your Quasimodo account name), I think your vehicle is V????2. If so, it is connected to the server and GSM+GPRS seems ok.

What looks wrong (from server logs) is that you have feature #14 set to 1, which means a 2008 v1.5 Tesla Roadster, but your car firmware is v1.2.0. You need v1.2.2 or later to support the v1.5 Tesla Roadsters. That said, based on your VIN, I don't think your car is a v1.5 - it should be a v2.5, so setting feature #14 back to 0 (the default) should fix things.

Regards, Mark.

OVMS Vehicle Firmware v1.3.1 Released

Tom Saxton has put up a great firmware update guide at:

OVMS Firmware Update Guide

and is also hosting copies of the binary firmware there.

Another option is to contact one of the developers listed at the top of this thread, who have offered to help users in their area upgrade.

We do recommend that all current users of OVMS upgrade to this version. It includes lots of bug-fixes, some new features, and better modem control.

Regards, Mark.

Code:
2012-09-02 1.3.1       Firmware 1.3.1
                       The following issues have been addressed (since 1.2.9):

Tidy-up for charge notifications
                       #57 Car: Motor temperature overflow
                       #58 Car: Strange range when low on power
                       #69 Wakeup temperature subsystem when car is woken up

2012-08-28 1.2.9       Preliminary firmware 1.2.9
                       1.2.9 - a (almost feature complete) release candidate for 1.3.1

This version is an (almost feature complete) release candidate
                       for 1.3.1. It addresses a few known bugs, but primarily works
                       on (a) adding support for v2 hardware, (b) improving recovery
                       from loss of GSM signal in poor cellular coverage areas, and
                       (c) changes to the alert notification mechanisms to try to catch
                       more 'charge stopped' type events.

The following issues have NOT been addressed, but should be
                       fixed in the final 1.3.1 firmware:
                         #57 Car: Motor temperature overflow
                         #58 Car: Strange range when low on power

The following issues have been specifically addressed:
                         #60 Car: Still getting some GSM unrecoverable issues
                         #61 Car: Acknowledge settings with detailed parameters
                         #64 Support for v2 base hardware
                         #65 Increase timeout in NET_STATE_NETINITP
                         #66 Increase modem reset timer to 2 secs
                         #67 Car: Raise charge interrupted alerts based on charge state (stopped vs done
                         #68 Give COPS a chance

2012-05-27 1.2.7       Preliminary firmware 1.2.7
                       Bug fix for off-by-one-can-byte bug in roadster id from VIN
                       Add homelink and charge timer support, plus misc fixes
                       Only send non-empty params to PARAMS? sms command
                       Remove need to RESET after can write change
                       Only NETINIT (not SOFTRESET) after a parameter change
                       Re-label parameters internally to match new user-friendly names
                       Re-work of sms command handlers to be table driven - saving 6% of flash
                       Use the 6% of flash we saved to implement a bunch of SMS commands
                         REGISTER?                                  Report on registered phone
                         REGISTER <modulepass>                      Register caller phone
                         PASS?                                      Report on module password
                         PASS     <modulepass>                      Set new module password
                         GPS?/GPS [<modulepass>]                    Report GPS location
                         STAT?/STAT [<modulepass>]                  Report status
                         PARAMS? [<modulepass>]                     Report on parameters
                         PARAMS <param2> <param3> .. <paramN>       Set parameters
                         MODULE? [<modulepass>]                     Report on module parameters
                         MODULE <vehicleid> <units> <notifies>      Set module parameters
                         GPRS? [<modulepass>]                       Report on GPRS parameters and status
                         GPRS <gprsapn> <gprsuser> <gprspass>       Set GPRS parameters
                         SERVER? [<modulepass>]                     Report on server parameters
                         SERVER <serverip> <serverpass> <paranoid>  Set server parameters
                         DIAG?/DIAG [<modulepass>]                  Technical diagnostics
                         FEATURES? [<modulepass>]                   Report on features configured
                         FEATURE <feature> <value>                  Set specified feature value
                         HOMELINK <button>                          Activate homelink 0, 1 or 2
                         LOCK <pin>                                 Lock car (with specified pin)
                         UNLOCK <pin>                               Unlock car (with specified pin)
                         VALET <pin>                                Activate valet mode (with specified pin)
                         UNVALET <pin>                              Deactivate valet mode (with specified pin)
                         CHARGEMODE <mode> <current>                Set charge mode (sta, sto, ran, per) and current limit (in Amps)
                         CHARGESTART [<modulepass>]                 Start charge immediately
                         CHARGESTOP [<modulepass>]                  Stop charge immediately
                         VERSION [<modulepass>]                     Report module firmware version
                         RESET [<modulepass>]                       Reset module

2012-05-11 1.2.5       Preliminary firmware 1.2.5
                       LED re-work
                       Support multiple vehicle configurations - TeslaRoadster and VoltAmpera
                       NET driver tidy-ups
                       Auto-support Tesla Roadster v1.5 cars
                       Issue #38 - Prevent user from locking car if car is ON
                       Issue #39 - Alert (SMS/PUSH) if trunk is opened while in valet mode

Running 1.3.1 since yesterday, works fine!

I have a couple of questions though:

- On my Galaxy Tab I keep getting the error "Could not connect to server", while after a couple of Retry attempts it works. I'm running my own server and I have updated the ovms_server.pl to the latest version there as well. I have ruled out network issues, since the iPhone App is working out just fine on the same WiFi network.
- When you lock the car through OVMS you can't unlock it with the key?

On my Galaxy Tab I keep getting the error "Could not connect to server", while after a couple of Retry attempts it works. I'm running my own server and I have updated the ovms_server.pl to the latest version there as well. I have ruled out network issues, since the iPhone App is working out just fine on the same WiFi network.

Sounds like it can't reach the server, but really not sure.

Can you try repeating it with a tcpdump? That would at least show what is happening at the network tcp/ip level.

widodh;182325When you lock the car through OVMS you can't unlock it with the key?[/QUOTE said:
On non-US cars, there is an immobilizer that cannot be affected by OVMS. We can lock/unlock the doors, but not the alarm. US cars don't have this, so work fine.

Can you try lock with OVMS, then with key try lock then unlock?

Running 1.3.1 since yesterday, works fine!

I have a couple of questions though:

- On my Galaxy Tab I keep getting the error "Could not connect to server", while after a couple of Retry attempts it works. I'm running my own server and I have updated the ovms_server.pl to the latest version there as well. I have ruled out network issues, since the iPhone App is working out just fine on the same WiFi network.
- When you lock the car through OVMS you can't unlock it with the key?

I had similar issues going from a building that has wifi to 3g. It just takes a min or two for the phone to connect w/ the tower and obtain an IP address. (annoying but not an issue with the app.)

Note: I just added:

USA: "ATT Telemetry SIM for business"
Charges are US$8.99/month for unlimited data (no SMS).

to the recommendations at the top of this thread. Note that APN is "ISP.cingular" and this is only available for business use.

Hi Mark - there is SMS at US$0.20 each way on the telemetry sim.
mine is working great and the price is fine compared to the new minimum plans.

Seems good for those with their cars on a business.

We've got the GeoSIM we've just partnered with running in two cars (one in USA and one in Hong Kong). So far it seems stable, and I hope to be able to get this down to perhaps US$3/month, hassle free.

FWIW, I've been using the GeoSIM card since September of last year. My running costs are easily under $4/month, including usage of things like social groups (location). Reception is as good as the AT&T card I was using before, because the GeoSIM uses the same network.

The only downside is that text message responses are expensive ($0.27 each), but I rarely use SMS since the App is so good.

For me, OVMS unlock only temporarily unlocks the car. After a minute or less it re-locks. Is this normal? I scanned the documentation but can't see this mentioned.

Car: v2.5, OVMS firmware: 2.2.2/V1, App: 1.3.3 on iPhone

Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere. Thanks. - Ian

I would like to be able to open the trunk of my Roadster in the next software update!

I went looking for the can bus code for that, but couldn't find it. I suspect that it is a hard-wire between the little button and the VMS.

We should be able to do anything the VDS can, but the VDS doesn't seem to be able to open the trunk either - the only methods I can find are (a) little button, and (b) key fob.