Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm the happy new owner of #163, and I just got my OVMS module in the mail. I went to this website: Updated and Expanded: The Best US Prepaid Data Deals | Prepaid Phone News to find out which carriers give the best deal on prepaid cards. I notice everyone here is getting AT&T, but PTEL seems to have a plan which is half the price, and has the positive bonus of not having to do business with AT&T. If PTEL has GSM SIMs, can I use one of them for OVMS? Or does it require some sort of special login, as the "wap.cingular APN" seems to imply?

I attempted to post a reply to this post a few days ago and it doesn't seem to have shown up. I figure it could be because I'm a new account and I tried to post a link, so I guess I won't post it here.

For the SIM card for OVMS, can I use any GSM SIM card? I found a link which talks about the cheapest prepaid plans, and there's one (PTel) which costs half as much as AT&T and has the added benefit of not being AT&T. Can I use this other provider, would it still work for OVMS?

For the SIM card for OVMS, can I use any GSM SIM card? I found a link which talks about the cheapest prepaid plans, and there's one (PTel) which costs half as much as AT&T and has the added benefit of not being AT&T. Can I use this other provider, would it still work for OVMS?

OVMS uses GPRS data and is quad band (850/ 900/ 1800/ 1900 MHz). Seems to be PTel card uses T-Mobile on 1700 or 1900 MHz, so should work on 1900. Coverage may not be as good as AT&T (850 and 1900).

Not really - if I could, they would be in the OVMS list with nice names :)

I think 934 is most likely charging related. 1174 is a debug level event that I sometimes see (I'm told nothing to worry about). Haven't seen 1463 before.

Sorry I can't be more definite. We don't have any document on the codes, so all we know is from people seeing it on their VDS and reporting the code and message to us.

Hi Folks,
From the Tattler's comprehensive database of alerts;
934, "DMC FW: Line OverCurrent Peak fault"
1174, "Fasten Seatbelt"
1463, "HVAC: Compressor OverTemp"

You might want to talk to your ranger/local service office about those other than "fasten seatbelt".

HVAC Compressor Overtemp is often ignored by service, but in fact it may indicate that your freon was not charged correctly. There is a part in the system that tends to freeze when it is filled, and if that happens the charge doesn't work right. My car did that error whenever it was charging for over a year, until I had the front heat exchanger upgrade and my Ranger charged the freon properly.

I have recently installed my OVMS v2 into my Tesla Roadster. The install was smooth and sms works fine with the OVMS. My issue is that it cannot connect via GPRS. I have followed the guides and tried all the various suggestions.

My setup:

ATT $.10 per minute plan* it says data is $.01 per 5KB
APN of WAP.CINGULAR
No login and no Pass (i have tried using my sim card # and pin but failed as well)

I keep getting the error (0x0042) not connected.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Jason

What IS the OVMS and is it applicable/useful only for Roadsters, or is it something good also for Model S's? When I go to http://www.openvehicles.com.....there is, as far as this troglodyte can determine, absolutely nothing that describes just what the OVMS is/does.:confused:

It's an open source project (awesome project by the way) that is hardware/software that brings many of the functions (and more actually) that the Model S has to the Roadster. Can locate your car, lock and unlock doors, start charging...etc

I have recently installed my OVMS v2 into my Tesla Roadster. The install was smooth and sms works fine with the OVMS. My issue is that it cannot connect via GPRS. I have followed the guides and tried all the various suggestions.

My setup:

ATT $.10 per minute plan* it says data is $.01 per 5KB
APN of WAP.CINGULAR
No login and no Pass (i have tried using my sim card # and pin but failed as well)

I keep getting the error (0x0042) not connected.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Jason

Assuming you have SMS access, can you send the results of these SMS requests to support (at) openvehicles (dot) com:

DIAG
GPRS?
MODULE?
SERVER?
STAT

Also, make sure the little switch on the module is pointing inwards (GPRS enable).

I wanted to follow up my post so if anyone else has a problem they will not make the same mistake I made.

When Mark asked for the results of the sms access, I noticed that the VehicleID was incorrect in my settings. Of course I figured it had to be the sim and tried everything to adjust that. I actuality it was a typing error that made the server not connect. I have since correct my silly mistake and all is working fine. Thanks Mark for the help.

J

I wanted to follow up my post so if anyone else has a problem they will not make the same mistake I made.

When Mark asked for the results of the sms access, I noticed that the VehicleID was incorrect in my settings. Of course I figured it had to be the sim and tried everything to adjust that. I actuality it was a typing error that made the server not connect. I have since correct my silly mistake and all is working fine. Thanks Mark for the help.

J

Was it the Vehicle or the Nickname? I'm getting the same error and doublechecked those settings and it looked fine (using the OVMS Vehicle ID)

Thanks,

What is the typical support response time of Fasttech? My OVMS unit seems to be DOA...it's been a couple of days, no response.

Fast, but they have been shutdown for golden week.

Better to go through me for RMA (they'll probably just direct it back to me anyway).

Can you eMail support (at) openvehicles (dot) com with details? What flashing LEDs do you get when you plugin? Any SMS response? What sim are you using? Anything else relevant?

Fast, but they have been shutdown for golden week.

Better to go through me for RMA (they'll probably just direct it back to me anyway).

Can you eMail support (at) openvehicles (dot) com with details? What flashing LEDs do you get when you plugin? Any SMS response? What sim are you using? Anything else relevant?

I will send you an email separately.
It gets stuck on 06 - GSM COPS lock failed.
There is no SMS response.
I am using an AT&T sim.

Was it the Vehicle or the Nickname? I'm getting the same error and doublechecked those settings and it looked fine (using the OVMS Vehicle ID)

Thanks,

OK... Looks like AT&T disables access to GPRS when the credit balance falls below $5... As a result, I couldn't connect the car to the Internet. I just added the credit, and am waiting for the better half to get home so that I can re-install and test.

Will update later.