Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ovo UK - New EV Charge tariff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m currently using a Tesla Gen 3 charger. The charge anytime connects to the tesla app for charging info. So the charger is not too important.

I signed upto Charge Antime a few weeks back when the offer was live. Luckily my transfer went live a few days ago so I quickly signed upto Charge Anytime.

Interesting that you're using a Tesla Gen 3 wall charger - the Ovo sales guff makes no mention of connecting to the Tesla backend or the Tesla charger itself in terms of compatibility - they only mention a couple of Indra and Ohme charger variants.

If Ovo's offering is more flexible, as you suggest it is, you would have thought they'd be advertising those features 🤔

Interesting that you're using a Tesla Gen 3 wall charger - the Ovo sales guff makes no mention of connecting to the Tesla backend or the Tesla charger itself in terms of compatibility - they only mention a couple of Indra and Ohme charger variants.

If Ovo's offering is more flexible, as you suggest it is, you would have thought they'd be advertising those features 🤔
When you get into the application there's a load of chargers listed - does seem odd they don't advertise via them though. They don't use the charger stats, only the charge details from the car - charge start at start of charge, how much charge the car has had and calculate it from there

When you get into the application there's a load of chargers listed - does seem odd they don't advertise via them though. They don't use the charger stats, only the charge details from the car - charge start at start of charge, how much charge the car has had and calculate it from there

I see! Well that changes things then (gives me more options on what I get to replace the pile of steaming turd that is the Tesla Gen 2 charger) - any chance you can remember any more of the supported chargers?

I would go with the Tesla Gen 3 charger seeing at is seemingly supported, but I have definitely had my fingers burned on these Tesla branded chargers!

I see! Well that changes things then (gives me more options on what I get to replace the pile of steaming turd that is the Tesla Gen 2 charger) - any chance you can remember any more of the supported chargers?

I would go with the Tesla Gen 3 charger seeing at is seemingly supported, but I have definitely had my fingers burned on these Tesla branded chargers!
Not sure if it was (sorry , was a few weeks a go for me), I'm not sure the Tesla charger is classed as a 'smart' charger though.... Maybe look at another? The website lists 5 which surprisingly Ovo sell! But from memory there was ~20 in the list...

Reactions: OUTATIME1

I believe that the list of chargers they can control is limited to the 4 or so they list. If you have a Tesla they they can provide the rebate down to 10p per kWh by controlling the car through the Tesla API. When you sign up you have to login in to your Tesla account from their app.
Then when you plug the car in it will usually start charging immediately and a few minutes later their app will stop it charging until a time when the electricity is greener. It will then restart the charging making sure your car is charged up to the required level by the required time. You can override this at any time to charge now, but that charging session will not get the rebate.

I believe that the list of chargers they can control is limited to the 4 or so they list. If you have a Tesla they they can provide the rebate down to 10p per kWh by controlling the car through the Tesla API. When you sign up you have to login in to your Tesla account from their app.
Then when you plug the car in it will usually start charging immediately and a few minutes later their app will stop it charging until a time when the electricity is greener. It will then restart the charging making sure your car is charged up to the required level by the required time. You can override this at any time to charge now, but that charging session will not get the rebate.
Sounds just like Intelligent Octopus.
It will be good to hear how reliably it works or if it has the same occasional issues.

Sounds just like Intelligent Octopus.
It will be good to hear how reliably it works or if it has the same occasional issues.
3 weeks in and no issues here

It seems to change the charge start time on a whim but as long you've entered the correct end time (car be ready by time) it hasn't let me down - always 80% and ready to go for when I've planned it in the Charge Anytime app (not car or charger - the Charge Anytime app controls the charge time) and you can always bang a few electrons in at full price if required... 👍

Were you invited to sign up @OUTATIME1 ? It looks like the website is still on hold.
I hit the register my interest button on the Anytime page, filled in the form and it told me I was eligible - downloaded the app and completed the sign up process there - all done and sorted in a few minutes!

Link to the "register your interest" page: Anytime

I've just joined. It appears that if you are an existing Ovo customer on their "Simpler Energy" (aka standard variable) tariff then you are simply told to get the app and you are done.
I registered my interest soon after hearing about this tariff, but haven’t heard anything back from Ovo at all.

I suspect it’s because I’m not an existing customer (although I was with them about three years ago, but currently with Shell Energy).

Reactions: CWT3LR
Thank you to @AndyWarrington , @OUTATIME1 , and others for their help.

My journey to get to this. I was a casualty of the great clear out of retail utility companies - forced to move from PurePlanet to Shell Energy. Smart meters have never worked in my house due to high metal content in my bricks so limits my ability to get a better tariff. So a move to Ovo (who don't seem to require smart meters at all) was a bit of a no-brainer. Processed the application for migration last Thursday, went live today, very easy process as their website is slick and well designed. Sent in meter readings first thing this morning. Full account details unlocked from that point.

Hmm, how do I start the "Charge Anytime" part of the plan? No luck fishing through the plan options etc, nothing to be found on their help page (come on OVO - make it easy!). Until the post above from Outatime1. Go through the link he has posted, as though it was the first time, make sure you are on supply with Ovo, fill out the boxes - and then use the link to download the two parts they direct you to (including the Kaluza app). A few log in details later and hey presto, now get charges at less than a third of the cost of the cap.

One small detail - the sign up requires you to select from the chargers they have listed - which include Ohme and Indra in their publicity materials - but also Hypervolt, Zappi, Pulsar Plus, EaseeOne, Andersen, Project EV, Rolec, EO mini, Elvi, Podpoint Solo, and also an "other" ategory. Now, as stated above, it is the Tesla data not the charger data that seems to determine how much charging credit is awarded - so seems to be agnostic as to charger brand for Tesla customers.

Fantastic, thanks for all the help.

I registered my interest soon after hearing about this tariff, but haven’t heard anything back from Ovo at all.

I suspect it’s because I’m not an existing customer (although I was with them about three years ago, but currently with Shell Energy).
See my post below yours Mr K - very easy transfer process, and might be time to jump now that Shell is doing a "strategic review" aka pulling out of retail energy supply. I was on the cap for both gas and electric, standing charge identical to Shell - so for a few minutes work and a bit of thumb twiddling over the last week can now pay 10p per KWH for car not 33p, even if no benefit for gas or other electrical usage.

Reactions: Mr K O’Watt
One small detail - the sign up requires you to select from the chargers they have listed - which include Ohme and Indra in their publicity materials - but also Hypervolt, Zappi, Pulsar Plus, EaseeOne, Andersen, Project EV, Rolec, EO mini, Elvi, Podpoint Solo, and also an "other" ategory.
I think their requirement is either a wall charger that works with their app or a car that does and Teslas do so the compatible charger becomes irrelevant,

I’m waiting to get Solar and Battery storage installed and my SSE (now OVO) smart meters are currently playing up AGAIN so can’t swap to octopus yet and I’m a high user so more expensive to do that at the moment without Solar and home batteries…. but in the interim;

Just signed up for this OVO plan today. Plan went fully live at least a week ago. Already with OVO (SSE collateral damage).

Dummies guide; (takes 5 mins max !)

Check OVO eligibility; no Solar/ batteries - 😳 🤦🏻‍♂️, (most/ all newish Tesla’s, plus some other EV’s) or “a lot” of other EV’s if your smart charger is eligible. (Model Y and Tesla Gen 3 charger here). My charger currently isn’t eligible but the car is; (either/ or scenario) as previously mentioned.

1) Download “Charge Anytime” - OVO app
2) Fill in your Tesla account login details on the OVO Smart Charge app + some other minor bits.
3) Set the “Ready by” time to ‘0800’ in the OVO “Charge anytime” app.
4) Set the charge levels: Min 5% Max: 80% (why 5% ? - because I don’t want to charge at peak price back to 20% if I arrive home with 5% before it “smart charges” - it can do that by itself overnight later at 10p 👍🏻)
5) Plug the car in.
6) repeat step 5) ad infinitum as necessary.
7) Move to Intelligent Octopus when you’ve got your solar panels and batteries. 🤫

Thoughts;
1) So it’s a prevent OVO’s “self-destruct” product from OVO that is aimed to stop everyone jumping ship en-mass to Octopus I suppose.
2) It’s not really a “charge anytime” tariff as you’d think by reading the name on the tin. It’s a “plug it in at night” and we’ll charge it anytime it’s really cheap for us overnight(?) to be ready by some time in the morning. (Or is it?) Time will tell… maybe, as I’ve only bin on it 10 mins.

Pro’s;
1) It’s simple to set up and no real lifestyle changes.
2) 10p for the EV charge measured by the car itself in my case (by car’s GEO position) or by your homes smart charger.
3) Good if you are a high or low user with no Solar or home batteries.
4) No increase in Peak price. 10p for car per kW. 33p for the rest as normal (for now 😬) compared to 42p for Intelligent Octopus.
5) No specific Charge window time limit (?)

Cons;
1) No Solar allowed
2) No batteries allowed
3) Only works for one smart charger (assume multi cars though), or one car(?) if it’s compatible and set up through the cars brain. (Or is it more? No info!)
4) Car must have internet access if it’s not on a compatible house smart charger (I assume?) £10pm but you might be paying that anyway? Or does WiFi count? 🤷🏼‍♂️

@AndyWarrington - few Q’s if you don’t mind, as you’ve been on it for a while…

1) What settings should I set on the Tesla app? Today (first day) just noticed I had left “scheduled charging” on to start at 1945. I presume this should this be turned off? Or will the smart charge app send a new schedule for tomorrow? To turn off that setting now, or later, or just leave it? Any tips/ pointers? Obviously the OVO website give no clue 😂 the “Smart charge” app says “charging next after 0400” but it’s already at 80% - will it reset by itself tomorrow? (Unsure of that).
Worst case - today I pay what I’ve paid for a charge for the last year. Best case, I get a refund down to 10p per kW. But it was only 76% to 80% so meh !
2) Any idea how to get the app working on 2 phones (mine and the wife’s)?
3) Can you still use the precondition function or does it interfere with the smart charge?
4) if the car has scheduled charging off, what stops it charging at peak? As my app hasn’t changed the time I set at 1945 from previously.
5) Anything else important or useful you’ve learned?

Thanks all
🤗

159FD6A8-453E-40B5-86E7-2FB3F8A5377A.jpeg