Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ovo UK - New EV Charge tariff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And do you know how to get it to work on my wife’s phone as well?
At a simple functional level I don't think the Charge Anytime app needs to be on more than one phone to work. Assuming that you are using your car as the controller and not the wall charger, then the app has access through your Tesla login and doesn't need to be anywhere near your car or the charger to work (I'm assuming that this is the case as the Charge Anytime app uses your login to control charging and not bluetooth or anything else that requires proximity).

If you want the app on two phones so that you both have the charging information and the ability to boost or change the end time, then I don't know. Try setting it up on the second phone the same way you did on the first and let us all know how it works. I'm sorry if that's not as helpful as you'd hoped, but I'd be interested in finding this out as well if anyone has tried it.

I’m waiting to get Solar and Battery storage installed and my SSE (now OVO) smart meters are currently playing up AGAIN so can’t swap to octopus yet and I’m a high user so more expensive to do that at the moment without Solar and home batteries…. but in the interim;

Just signed up for this OVO plan today. Plan went fully live at least a week ago. Already with OVO (SSE collateral damage).

Dummies guide; (takes 5 mins max !)

Check OVO eligibility; no Solar/ batteries - 😳 🤦🏻‍♂️, (most/ all newish Tesla’s, plus some other EV’s) or “a lot” of other EV’s if your smart charger is eligible. (Model Y and Tesla Gen 3 charger here). My charger currently isn’t eligible but the car is; (either/ or scenario) as previously mentioned.

1) Download “Charge Anytime” - OVO app
2) Fill in your Tesla account login details on the OVO Smart Charge app + some other minor bits.
3) Set the “Ready by” time to ‘0800’ in the OVO “Charge anytime” app.
4) Set the charge levels: Min 5% Max: 80% (why 5% ? - because I don’t want to charge at peak price back to 20% if I arrive home with 5% before it “smart charges” - it can do that by itself overnight later at 10p 👍🏻)
5) Plug the car in.
6) repeat step 5) ad infinitum as necessary.
7) Move to Intelligent Octopus when you’ve got your solar panels and batteries. 🤫

Thoughts;
1) So it’s a prevent OVO’s “self-destruct” product from OVO that is aimed to stop everyone jumping ship en-mass to Octopus I suppose.
2) It’s not really a “charge anytime” tariff as you’d think by reading the name on the tin. It’s a “plug it in at night” and we’ll charge it anytime it’s really cheap for us overnight(?) to be ready by some time in the morning. (Or is it?) Time will tell… maybe, as I’ve only bin on it 10 mins.

Pro’s;
1) It’s simple to set up and no real lifestyle changes.
2) 10p for the EV charge measured by the car itself in my case (by car’s GEO position) or by your homes smart charger.
3) Good if you are a high or low user with no Solar or home batteries.
4) No increase in Peak price. 10p for car per kW. 33p for the rest as normal (for now 😬) compared to 42p for Intelligent Octopus.
5) No specific Charge window time limit (?)

Cons;
1) No Solar allowed
2) No batteries allowed
3) Only works for one smart charger (assume multi cars though), or one car(?) if it’s compatible and set up through the cars brain. (Or is it more? No info!)
4) Car must have internet access if it’s not on a compatible house smart charger (I assume?) £10pm but you might be paying that anyway? Or does WiFi count? 🤷🏼‍♂️

@AndyWarrington - few Q’s if you don’t mind, as you’ve been on it for a while…

1) What settings should I set on the Tesla app? Today (first day) just noticed I had left “scheduled charging” on to start at 1945. I presume this should this be turned off? Or will the smart charge app send a new schedule for tomorrow? To turn off that setting now, or later, or just leave it? Any tips/ pointers? Obviously the OVO website give no clue 😂 the “Smart charge” app says “charging next after 0400” but it’s already at 80% - will it reset by itself tomorrow? (Unsure of that).
Worst case - today I pay what I’ve paid for a charge for the last year. Best case, I get a refund down to 10p per kW. But it was only 76% to 80% so meh !
2) Any idea how to get the app working on 2 phones (mine and the wife’s)?
3) Can you still use the precondition function or does it interfere with the smart charge?
4) if the car has scheduled charging off, what stops it charging at peak? As my app hasn’t changed the time I set at 1945 from previously.
5) Anything else important or useful you’ve learned?

Thanks all
🤗
Hi Pete, happy to share my experiences:

1) Don't use the car for 'charge ready by' time, use the Anytime app - this enables 'Smart' charging at anytime during the day, so if you want it to be charged by 11am set that and it'll work out how long it'll take and start the charge from there, it does allow itself some 30-60mins leeway so generally finishes charging 30-60mins before your 'charge ready time'. There is no stipulation the charge has to happen overnight for the cheap rate.

You set the charge limit you want in the car app (not sure why but I choose 84% and it works fine)

2) Repeat the log in process on the 2nd phone, log into the Tesla via the Anytime app and it'll work the same from there

3) I still use the precondition time on the Tesla app (usually to coincide with when I want the car ready for) and it works as it should

4) No such thing as peak when 'smart charging' on Ovo via this 'tariff' - as long as you're on at least 20% SoC to start with

5) You will be charged on your bill for the full amount i.e. 0.34p/kwh then credited back at the end of the month back to 10p/kwh for the charging of the car. I've found the Anytime app and the amount of credit on the Ovo bill is almost the same - a few pence different here n there.

l find when I plug my charger in it starts to charge straight away (full price), until I get on the Anytime app and tell if what time I want the car to be charged by, it then stops the charge. You can only adjust the 'finish time' in the app once the app recognises it's plugged into your car.

Also, as my charger is a Hypervolt, the app uses the car as the smart device so I wouldn't be able to claim the credit on my account for charging another (unregistered) car. Though, I've not tried this to be certain but I think that's how it goes...

I don't know if say you're a 2 car EV family how that works within this app - maybe someone else who has experience can help with this point?

In summary for me it's working very well, for e.g. I was spending IRO £100 on diesel to do 400 miles in my Land Rover, it's costing me IRO £20 to do that now in my MYP (with an often heavy foot 😁), prior to this tariff it was costing me IRO £65

Hope this helps👍

Reactions: Pete UK and CWT3LR
See my post below yours Mr K - very easy transfer process, and might be time to jump now that Shell is doing a "strategic review" aka pulling out of retail energy supply.
Sorry @CWT3LR, only just caught up with this thread again. Thanks for the info.

I had no idea Shell Energy were doing a “strategic review” - very interesting if indeed they do decide to pull out of retail energy supply.

As already mentioned, I have already expressed an interest in this Ovo tariff, which ticks all the boxes for me as regards cheaper car charging without the imposition of a higher peak daily rate. After I’d had my Tesla for a month of average use and was able to split out what I’d actually paid against what I would have paid on an Octopus tariff, I was still about £9 better off per month staying with Shell.

Maybe time to chase them up again…..

Reactions: CWT3LR
Sorry @CWT3LR, only just caught up with this thread again. Thanks for the info.

I had no idea Shell Energy were doing a “strategic review” - very interesting if indeed they do decide to pull out of retail energy supply.

As already mentioned, I have already expressed an interest in this Ovo tariff, which ticks all the boxes for me as regards cheaper car charging without the imposition of a higher peak daily rate. After I’d had my Tesla for a month of average use and was able to split out what I’d actually paid against what I would have paid on an Octopus tariff, I was still about £9 better off per month staying with Shell.

Maybe time to chase them up again…..
I do about 1,000 miles per month, MY LR, occasionally use the car's performance - so probably an average user. Moving to Ovo from Shell, I saw about £30 of savings in the first month, possibly a bit more to come a I started on 9th Feb. With no impact on the cost of using the tumble drier etc as it is the same capped rate as Shell. Maybe £500 a year cheaper than Shell, without Octopus who need smart meters and not having to load shift all the household to nighttime suits me down to the ground.

So if I understand it you get a rebate equivalent to the charge output in the car?

If so that's going to miss ~10% of losses during the charge. Further if it's cold, a lot of energy goes into heating the battery but never shows as added to the battery.

So if I understand it you get a rebate equivalent to the charge output in the car?

If so that's going to miss ~10% of losses during the charge. Further if it's cold, a lot of energy goes into heating the battery but never shows as added to the battery.
I may be wrong but if it starts charging @ 20% set to 80% and theres iro 10% to warm the battery then I figure total charge will be iro 70%, all still at the creditable rate as the car shows the app how many kWh's to get to the charge limit. 👍

Reactions: Pete UK
Hypervolt reports 25.48KWh
Car reports 23KWh
Ovo reports 21KWh
I'm sure someone knows why this is so, but it seems to be par for the course — you can find other threads where IO shows almost identical discrepancies. While it would be nice to get the whole lot at a cheap rate, 21KWh at 10p per kWh is still a pretty good deal.

Car reports 23KWh
Ovo reports 21KWh
I'm sure someone knows why this is so, but it seems to be par for the course — you can find other threads where IO shows almost identical discrepancies. While it would be nice to get the whole lot at a cheap rate, 21KWh at 10p per kWh is still a pretty good deal.
10% loss to conversion losses which the car can't see.
2kWh lost to heating the pack which the car can see.

Car reports 23KWh
Ovo reports 21KWh
I also had discrepancies between what my Andersen EV charger was telling me and Ovo reporting....I raised it with them

they said "
Thanks for bearing with us.

Our Technical team has provided us with an update to your Charge Anytime app issue.

"Please thank the customer for raising this issue. Due to a bug in our energy consumption calculator, a 3.3kWh telemetry packet was dropped in our services. We are working on a fix for this bug.

In the meantime I have added the missing consumption to our rebates sheet, so the customer will be rebated for this."

Thanks,

Tom
Smart Home Expert, OVO Energy"

2) Repeat the log in process on the 2nd phone, log into the Tesla via the Anytime app and it'll work the same from there
Thanks for the detailed response, appreciate it.

I tried this (step 2)) and it didn’t work on my wife’s iphone.
This was trying to login to the “Charge Anytime” app on her phone with the same original credentials as mine. Did you use the same credentials? Or set up a new account on the second phone?

I asked support but they said she’d need to log onto my iCloud account and to ask Apple how. This would seem a messy way to do it though.

They also said;

“Please note that you can only have one Charge Anytime account per EV. This means that if you both setup a separate account on the app and try to link it to the same EV, your EV may not charge and you won't receive Anytime credits.”

So that would imply it has to be the same “Anytime” account. Also implies that it can be set up on multi cars at your home, which is good.

Despite the above it’s working well and good to know that there is no time restrictions.

So in theory you could charge overnight and charge again for an evening drive by just adjusting the slider to “ready by 8pm” or such. That’s great!

Reactions: AndyWarrington
Thanks for the detailed response, appreciate it.

I tried this (step 2)) and it didn’t work on my wife’s iphone.
This was trying to login to the “Charge Anytime” app on her phone with the same original credentials as mine. Did you use the same credentials? Or set up a new account on the second phone?

I asked support but they said she’d need to log onto my iCloud account and to ask Apple how. This would seem a messy way to do it though.

They also said;

“Please note that you can only have one Charge Anytime account per EV. This means that if you both setup a separate account on the app and try to link it to the same EV, your EV may not charge and you won't receive Anytime credits.”

So that would imply it has to be the same “Anytime” account. Also implies that it can be set up on multi cars at your home, which is good.

Despite the above it’s working well and good to know that there is no time restrictions.

So in theory you could charge overnight and charge again for an evening drive by just adjusting the slider to “ready by 8pm” or such. That’s great!
You're welcome

I'm pretty sure the Mrs just logged into the Anytime app with her email address and logged into the car through the Anytime app in the same way and all was ok - was a few weeks ago now but seemed to work ok....

Yes, though I've not tried it, I feel you could easily charge more than once in any given (assumed 24hr) period as it's an Anytime app - just set the end time and it works out when it needs to start by. 👍

Reactions: Pete UK
530A1D27-C158-447F-BB34-C87202DF89BC.png

I opened the app and saw this today. I did have £5 or so of savings. Now it’s all gone and I get this message.

Any idea HOW To “make sure your cars app is still connected to the Smart Charge App”??? There is nowhere to check, connect or see if the car is connected within the Smart Charge App !

I’ve emailed them but no reply yet.

Anyone had this before and how to fix?

Thanks.

View attachment 917421

I opened the app and saw this today. I did have £5 or so of savings. Now it’s all gone and I get this message.

Any idea HOW To “make sure your cars app is still connected to the Smart Charge App”??? There is nowhere to check, connect or see if the car is connected within the Smart Charge App !

I’ve emailed them but no reply yet.

Anyone had this before and how to fix?

Thanks.
Never experienced this myself 🤷‍♀️

On the dashboard page of the app does is still show the car at the top & last updated time?

I look forward to the response you get from Ovo/Anytime... If nothing else I reckon when you argue that you charged from 20% to 100% on that occasion 😂

Still no Reply from the app team.

All savings data re-appeared this morning though. Not sure if it was a coincidence or a result of my email or not. So maybe they fixed it and closed my query or it just started working again by itself.
Only thing different over that time (the last 3 days) was that we hadn’t plugged the car in for the 3 days (although it was on the drive all the time and connected to WiFi.). May be a reason? - No idea without any feedback from them.

All good again though for now.

Still no Reply from the app team.

All savings data re-appeared this morning though. Not sure if it was a coincidence or a result of my email or not. So maybe they fixed it and closed my query or it just started working again by itself.
Only thing different over that time (the last 3 days) was that we hadn’t plugged the car in for the 3 days (although it was on the drive all the time and connected to WiFi.). May be a reason? - No idea without any feedback from them.

All good again though for now.
Mine went tits last night, didn't charge - can only think the network was down through the night.... Will update once I know more