Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cringe in your general direction when I see all that salt and grime. SOP for me has been to use a winter beater or truck/SUV for the sloppy months and keep the good car out of the grunge. Here's hoping Tesla has done a good job of corrosion protection.

I cringe in your general direction when I see all that salt and grime. SOP for me has been to use a winter beater or truck/SUV for the sloppy months and keep the good car out of the grunge. Here's hoping Tesla has done a good job of corrosion protection.

Personally, I love seeing it. What use is a car - even a super-expensive one like Model S - if you can't use it to do the things you want to do?

What is the protocol for washing your car.......do you take it to a car wash or will you be washing your car in your driveway in 10 degree weather?

Two weeks and four car washes - two self wash stations, two auto-touchless. No wax/sealant, just a wash. Tip: leave key in car and let door handles close. Will bring car in for a real wax when time and weather allow. No fear re: salt. Washes of and adds zest in the meantime.

What is the protocol for washing your car.......do you take it to a car wash or will you be washing your car in your driveway in 10 degree weather?

car wash1.JPG
car wash2.JPG

You can also wash your car inside your garage with the door shut in 10 degree weather with the proper products. Those same products happen to be very eco friendly, and quick to use with little mess. Much more comfy than the driveway if you have enough space to move around your car in your garage.

Cheers.

I'll need some selling on this point. Stereo cranking and no tailpipe as I go thru the carwash and I feel pretty eco. That said, always ready to learn - learn me, please.

- - - Updated - - -

ModelS1079,
Great pics. Thanks. Did you notice much of a difference in range (or kWh/mi) with so much cargo?

I did not. Battery warmth was a much more important - critical - determinant of range.
Next trip, I will ask each of my three children to successively jump from the car at 10 mile intervals, and I'll report back regarding the delta on the range. More soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Love the Vader Wash. Brilliant.

- - - Updated - - -

I liked the matte version quite a bit myself, but my wife preferred the gloss by a wide margin so I was happy to indulge her on that front (she's very happy that her wife is willing to compromise to find something we both adore.) It does look wonderful. The contrast between the matte leather and glossy dash is actually kind of nice, though I expect the dash to be a fingerprint magnet.

Went Obiche Gloss and like the way it compliments the gloss touchscreen and contrasts with the leather's inherent matte finish.

Your car, place and pics are awesome. The Pearl White really shows off the pano roof - my Blue hides the roof - it is not obvious on first view. An unforeseen perk of the white. Picture of you with the car in the delivery bay is hot. Somebody has to state the facts.

So if you look up "ONR" on auto detailing web pages, you will get a product called Optimum No Rinse. There are competitors, but it is the product I know and use.

then you set up what is called the "two bucket method."

You get 2 buckets, each a 5 gallon one, and ideally you install a plastic screen called a grit guard in the bottom of each. If you want to give yourself ultimate convenience, they also sell castor roll stands for the buckets so you can scoot them around on the floor with ease. Makes it so you don't have to pick them up and it is easier not to spill water.

Anyway, you use one bucket for the "soapy" water, and the other as a rinse bucket. You fill each with maybe 3 gallons of water, and after that you don't need any more water. Using this method after you fill the buckets you don't need a hose anymore.

So you get a bunch of nice microfiber cloths. You dunk one in the ONR water, then you wipe off a panel of your car with it, rinsing between each wipe in the rinse water bucket. The grit and dirt fall off into the water and fall below the grit guards, so you don't pick them back up then next time around and scratch them around the surface of the paint. Change cloths when one gets too dirty. You can go around the car doing this and no joke, you do not need to rinse your car off when you are done, and it works pretty well. Shockingly well for the fact that you don't need a hose and you use very little water.

You just let it air dry when you are done, or if to wet for that you can wipe with a dry and clean microfiber after you clean the panel. You can choose to apply wax after that if you want. Or Klasse All In One, Or Klasse Sealant, etc. depending on your tastes and such. But for the wash part, ONR is really quite cool, and if you were in a Boston winter, in the garage with the door closed this way would be a welcome alternative to freezing your butt off in your driveway, or at a self serve power washer touchless car wash.

Now, this can't do the same as a power sprayer, but for most of the time type washes, it is quite good. There will always be times when you manage to get something on your car that is pretty gnarly and a power sprayer is key there, but ONR is my basic go to wash these days. There are a few different ways to use it, but that is the one I use.

Also, since now there are a number of good spot treatment products for bugs stuck to the paint and such, you really can wash your car yourself in your garage with the door closed and have results nearly identical to using tons of water outside with a power sprayer except in extreme circumstances.

Hope that helps.

Here is a video link:

eco friendly car washing Optimum no rinse - YouTube

and another

Washing With - YouTube

Cheers

Last edited:
The local "Loaf and Jug" on Jordan Road in Parker, CO has a completely touchless, automatic, laser controlled drive-through car wash that does a pretty decent job of cleaning my 2012 Acura TL (wjile I wait for my Model S that I reserved a little over a month ago). Yes, I am a newcomer. That seems like a decent washing solution during winter months. I certainly don;t want to be doing any two bucket washing during our Colorado winters.

Wattson was delivered today (1/4/13) around 3:30! I was all prepared to go meet a huge auto transport truck someplace off the freeway, but it was delivered on a flatbed tow truck right to my front door! It was almost perfectly clean and freshly waxed. 25 miles on the odometer and 184 rated miles of charge!

DSC_0511.jpg

We were planning on driving up to Portland in a few hours and this was going to be great!

One MAJOR problem though. No registration or temp tag!!! Apparently it was FedExed to me but they've had some kind of delay so I hadn't gotten it yet. Out of sheer desperation I called the local DMV office, explained my situation and asked if there was anything they could do. It turns out that they can issue a "trip permit" that gives me a paper temp tag for the window and is good for 21 days. It costs $30 and all I needed was a valid Oregon driver's license, the VIN, Year/make/model and proof of insurance. It was 4:30, the DMV is 15 minutes away with no traffic... queue the dramatic race scene music. I made it to the DMV with 10 minutes to spare and made NO friends amongst my fellow motorists along the way. The guys at the DMV were excellent and wanted to see a picture of the car as they had never gotten a chance to issue anything for a Tesla yet! I just happened to have one on my phone.

Temp tag in hand I drove home... much slower. We packed the car and headed north. It's just about to update to 4.1 (came with 4.0) and has about 70 rated miles left on it. Tomorrow I'll go spend a few hours at Washington Square Mall and plug into their 70amp chargers while I'm there. We're getting at NEMA 14-50 put in at the condo up here but it's not in yet so there's no place to charge overnight.

It drove great on the way up but I didn't play too much with the acceleration as I wanted to preserve as much of the charge as possible. I'm going to need to give the inside of the windows a good thorough cleaning soon so they'll stop fogging up quite so much. I passed a guy in an A4 as we were coming into the city, he promptly sped up to get next to us, flipped on his cabin light so we could see him (it was dark out) and gave us a huge grin and a thumbs up! It's going to take a while to get used to the Rockstar status. ;)

My car came yesterday around Noon. The car was not detailed, but the local store will be providing me a certificate for a full detail at a local shop. I had the same temp tag issue, but Brian at the Washington Square store came to my rescue and was able to create one for me. With tag in hand, I promptly drove back to my office as everyone there was dying to see the car! :cool: I'm going to take some pictures today, and I'll post them later. Here are my initial reactions though from the bit of driving I got to do yesterday.

The acceleration is crazy, but what's even more impressive (to me) is accelerating when you are already at a constant speed. For example, going from 45 to 57 in about a second is amazing!

I gave rides to a bunch of co-workers yesterday. Although I could definitely tell the difference in performance, I was still quite impressed at how well it did fully loaded.

And I really like the aggressive regen. I live on a hill and some of the roads coming down the hill are pretty steep. In most cars (with an automatic or CVT) I either need to ride the brakes (which annoys me) or manually shift to a lower gear. With the regen in the Tesla, I actually have to use a bit of acceleration or the car will actually come to a stop. In cases like this though, the acceleration is just serving to slightly reduce the amount of regen being applied. The result is that I'm able to recoup quite a bit of energy.

Old news, I'm sure, but once you get used to how the regen works, you can mainly do "one pedal driving" by just pressing or releasing the accelerator pedal. The only time you normally need to use the brakes is either when you want to come to a complete stop, or you want to slow down very quickly. As you get better at it, you can really finesse the amount of regen being applied by just feathering the accelerator pedal rather that completely letting off of it. Once you get the hang of it, it makes things like taking corners really fun, and you don't need to use the brakes.

Shortly after getting the car I went through all the settings, paired my phone, and set up HomeLink. Maybe I was just lucky but for me the HomeLink process went very smoothly and worked the first time out. I do agree with others though that it would be nice if the button came up farther away from the house.

I was pleased to see that the 14-50 outlet I installed worked great (and nothing caught fire - a good thing :wink:). I didn't pay regular attention, but the last check I did before going to bed showed a charge rate of 20 miles per hour.

I also had the 4.1 update pending for me as soon as I got the car. I scheduled it for 2am this morning and so it should be done now (I haven't been down to the car yet this morning).

There were indeed a number of rough spots with the delivery process, and Tesla really needs to address these. Having said that though, I couldn't be happier with the car! :smile:

Shortly after getting the car I went through all the settings, paired my phone, and set up HomeLink. Maybe I was just lucky but for me the HomeLink process went very smoothly and worked the first time out. I do agree with others though that it would be nice if the button came up farther away from the house.

I just reprogrammed Homelink with the car farther away from the garage. There does seem to be a limitation if you must make a turn into the driveway as Homelink's signal only seems to work with the car is pointed at the garage. It also may be that the version of the software you had prior 4.1, didn't have the feature of the button showing when in proximity to the programmed device.

Road Trip - The First. Heck, two weeks and 1,200 miles. That's a five-year/ 120,000 mile warranty, right? No?

Here are some pics from a frosty week in New Hampshire -

View attachment 13905
Packing up: In the Frunk, pictured here, are a laptop computer, my bag for a week, ski helmet, two coats, drill case and drill bit case, and my Taylor Guitar.

View attachment 13906
On departure from home, in the rear trunk I had eight pair skis, six pair ski boots, seven pair poles, four ski helmets, two clothing bags and whatever else I forgot to mention. Oh - yes - three kids plus me. Me dog and her crate snuck in for the trip back home, swapping the kids into safe passage with my better half. My clothes bag and ski boots and helmets are in the frunk at this point.

Fresh new coat of white paint:
View attachment 13917

All-Weather charging. NEMA 14-50:
View attachment 13918

Indoor Re-Charge. Bacon Cheddar Cheese. A kWh value.
View attachment 13919

Pano Roof - Covered Bridge. Classic Car, Classic New England:
View attachment 13920

Range Anxiety? What Range Anxiety? See New England Deliveries or Winter Driving threads for details:
View attachment 13921

My favorite Model S picture to date (of my pics). You won't see this picture from Nigel, 'cause you can't buy this kind of grit in FLA :biggrin:
Note the frunk is open. And that No parking sign is strictly for ICE Vehicles, I'm sure.

View attachment 13922

Jim, Where did you get that license plate frame? Ever since we were at the White Plains store and I saw it on the showroom car I've been trying to figure out how to get one.
I've seen on here that apparently some of the cars are being delivered with them.
John

- - - Updated - - -

Oh...and love the grit!! ;/)

Awesome Lyon! I should come to the store and meet you tomorrow, and peek thru the window of your new baby. I need to head over there anyway. ;)

Congrats! More pics too in the meantime please.

I'll be heading over there soon. I'll shoot you a PM when we leave. I didn't get a bunch of great pictures during delivery unfortunately and by the time I got back from the DMV it was dark. Here's one more.

DSC_0510.jpg