Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my car at the factory on Saturday, November 10, 2012. We did the factory tour, which was amazing (great to see all those cars progressing towards delivery). When we left the factory, driving with a friend, we drove the Get Amped test drive route and went VERY fast down the Tesla private road. Then we had some fun driving on the city streets doing much of what I did on the test drive.

Awesome story. Congrats...

So to update my story one week later:
I have put 757 miles on the car this week (and of course used no gas to do so!)
The first few days I was averaging in the high 400's Wh per mile.
Now I am below 350 every day, and getting slightly better, with the occasional spike for some fun acceleration or when taking people for a "quick" ride.
What I now love most about the car is the quiet comfort I get when driving. Music takes on a different feel, and I am more in tune with the road.
If I could do it all over again, I probably wouldn't get the performance -- having driven both now, I feel that the performance is more than fast, and the non perf is fast enough! The only issue there is that I would not get CF trim, which I absolutely love, and was the reason for getting performance in the first place!

To all those that have not yet received your cars, and are waiting on the edges of your seats... It is worth the wait! Delays disappear. Just go for a drive.

have put 757 miles on the car this week (and of course used no gas to do so!)
The first few days I was averaging in the high 400's Wh per mile.
Now I am below 350 every day, and getting slightly better, with the occasional spike for some fun acceleration or when taking people for a "quick" ride.
Only 309mi at the 5day mark here. 396 Wh/mi. consumption average according to the trip meters that were begun when I picked up the vehicle.

Other notes:
- Rain is a party pooper when you have a Perf accelerator at the ready.
- Cold sucks when you're trying to hypermile with CC off, especially when you have to turn on the windshield heater to keep the fog away.
- I'm currently held back quite a bit due to 110 charging rate (electrician coming soon!).
- Every day at least 2 friends/coworkers have been given a test ride. I'll probably take tomorrow "off" for that.
- Oddity: At one point I had 50projected/58rated miles and it stuck there for 6 miles. I was worried I might need to reset the UI; it eventually ticked to 49/57. Not sure how to interpret that information.
- When switching to my other vehicle (getting it back home days after picking up the S), the accelerator had the weirdest vibration sensation. I'll have to get it looked at. ;)

- Oddity: At one point I had 50projected/58rated miles and it stuck there for 6 miles. I was worried I might need to reset the UI; it eventually ticked to 49/57. Not sure how to interpret that information.

The only explanation would seem to be if you were averaging about 0 Wh/mi, due to regen or coasting. Can't think of anything else.

- When switching to my other vehicle (getting it back home days after picking up the S), the accelerator had the weirdest vibration sensation. I'll have to get it looked at. ;)

This may be caused by an ICE. Check the frunk, there might be an ICE in it. ;)

Welcome, MrJima: great writeup!

One thing caught my eye: "I like the shelf below the screen and the pouch at the front edge of the driver's seat." I'm still waiting for the cubby below the screen, but what's this about a pouch at the front of the driver's seat? Is that a new feature, or did I just not notice it (I'm away from my S for a couple of days)?

Only 309mi at the 5day mark here. 396 Wh/mi. consumption average according to the trip meters that were begun when I picked up the vehicle.

Other notes:
- Rain is a party pooper when you have a Perf accelerator at the ready.
- Cold sucks when you're trying to hypermile with CC off, especially when you have to turn on the windshield heater to keep the fog away.
- I'm currently held back quite a bit due to 110 charging rate (electrician coming soon!).
- Every day at least 2 friends/coworkers have been given a test ride. I'll probably take tomorrow "off" for that.

Re: the rain, are you seeing a lot of slippage on acceleration?

Welcome, MrJima: great writeup!

One thing caught my eye: "I like the shelf below the screen and the pouch at the front edge of the driver's seat." I'm still waiting for the cubby below the screen, but what's this about a pouch at the front of the driver's seat? Is that a new feature, or did I just not notice it (I'm away from my S for a couple of days)?

That's been there since the betas. Not very large, but you could stick something in there.

The leather seats up front have a narrow pocket on the front edge. See pic HERE. The fabric seats do not have this "kangaroo pouch."

The only explanation would seem to be if you were averaging about 0 Wh/mi, due to regen or coasting. Can't think of anything else.
I was thinking about that option but:
(a) For six miles (not down Everest)?
(b) Wouldn't the projected start sliding to the rated?

- - - Updated - - -

Re: the rain, are you seeing a lot of slippage on acceleration?
With responsible driving no; with irresponsible driving yes.

For example, if you take a sharp right turn at 50+ from a freeway exit ramp to the far lane of a slick road the wheels will break loose and TC will recover beautifully. After your heart slows down you'll remind yourself not to be an idiot like that in the future.

With responsible driving no; with irresponsible driving yes.

For example, if you take a sharp right turn at 50+ from a freeway exit ramp to the far lane of a slick road the wheels will break loose and TC will recover beautifully. After your heart slows down you'll remind yourself not to be an idiot like that in the future.

Just a fer-instance, right brian. You wouldn't have personal experience with that, right? :biggrin:

;)

Being a Roadster owner driving several miles with no change in range is not uncommon if you are looking at projected miles not ideal miles. On the Roadster the computer looks at your remaining capacity and divides by the W/mile averaged over the last 40 miles, (I think the model S is 30). If you were showing off the car and burning 600 W/mile and then drive for range dropping down to 250 W/mile, both the numerator (capacity) and the denominator (W/mile) are declining. So the range stays the same and can actually rise. If you switch to ideal miles then the denominator remains constant so you should not see this behavior. But then your range is then calculated on ideal driving which is hard to do in a performance car.

@dhrivnak - As noted, I was looking at both projected and rated. Projected holding steady with rated dropping would simply be "your efficiency is outpacing the official rating", but rated holding steady for 6 miles I find perplexing.