Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I got my Model S on December 21st (thank god the Mayans were wrong and the world did not end!). Love the car so far (although I was away for 2 weeks on vacation 2 days after getting it). It was, however, the best Christmas present ever and so I promptly hooked it up behind my Roadster and created my Christmas Sleigh. Santa Clause would be proud. Here is a picture of it below.

For those of you interested, I also made a compilation video (see youtube link below) of some pictures and video from the manufacturing and delivery of my Roadster in 2011 and the Model S last month. I now await the Model X to add to the family! :)

The Journey - YouTube

image.png

I've now had my Model S for a little over a week. I'm still getting used to some of its little quirks and I probably need to tone down the driving some or I'm very likely to get pulled over and arrested but I can safely say that I'm going to be happy driving this car for a very long time. The other day I had to drive my wife's car. She has a Land Rover LR3. It's quite refined with a Jaguar-built 4.4 liter V8 and a ZF-sourced 6-speed transmission. Until the other day I considered it to be one of the smoothest vehicles I'd ever driven. In comparison to the Model S, however, it's simply clunky. All that shifting and revving just seems so old fashioned.

This morning I needed to use our 3/4 ton Suburban to pick up some oriental rugs that were too large to fit comfortably in the Model S... I think the least said about that experience the better.

Two quick points regarding my love affair with the Model S: (1) You don't realize how annoying the vibrations you experience in an ICE car are until they aren't there anymore, and (2) the Model S can cause you to run stop lights if you also sometimes drive a modest ICE car. I recently ran a red light (harmlessly thankfully) in my Honda Civic Hybrid when I was approaching the intersection and realized I was in a left turn only lane. As I checked quickly to be sure I could change lanes safely, the light turned yellow, and thinking I had plenty of time to get through (as I would have in the Model S I had been driving all week), I gunned it. To my surprise, very little happened, and my vehicle sort of meandered into and through the intersection after the light turned red. How embarrassing!

Have come to really appreciate the white - shows the pano glass and looks so sharp. Don't tell my Blue.
Then again, maybe it's just that we don't actually get sunshine on the left coast and seeing the white in sunshine stirs the heart.

Depends on where one resides on the Left... my blue is super dirty and looks pretty dark here in rainy Oregon! ;) Blue's the best color though.

Agree, after just a week of ownership my ICE cars sound like they're falling apart...more than usual.
It's quite amazing isn't it? I've had the Model S for nearly a month but I still drive my Audi S4 a lot (3 months left on lease). Even though the Audi has a fantastic ICE (by ICE standards) and 7 speed dual-clutch transmission, it feels like I'm driving a thrashing machine compared to the silky, smooth and powerful ride the S delivers! If Risky Business was made today, the line would most definitely be "Tesla, there is no substitute."
:cool:

MS2a.jpg

She doesn't have a name yet, but she's home! Everything has been beyond great so far. I just have had a couple of minor software issues v4.1 (1.19.31):
1. Door handles don't consistently present themselves on my approach, requiring manual engagement.
2. Home link will not recognize the signal from my garage door opener.
3. Navigation went haywire once, continuing to shout out turn instructions after I had canceled/ended route guidance, requiring a re-boot of the center console while driving.
4. The same old pano roof issue...not a big deal.

Back out to the road! :biggrin:

Attachments

• MS2a.jpg
    MS2a.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,892
Last edited:
She doesn't have a name yet, but she's home! Everything has been beyond great so far. I just have had a couple of minor software issues v4.1 (1.19.31):
1. Door handles don't consistently present themselves on my approach, requiring manual engagement.
2. Home link will not recognize the signal from my garage door opener.
3. Navigation went haywire once, continuing to shout out turn instructions after I had canceled/ended route guidance, requiring a re-boot of the center console while driving.
4. The same old pano roof issue...not a big deal.

Back out to the road! :biggrin:

"I think we're not in Kansas anymore!"

Sweet photo!

Congrats...

In trying to get Homelink to recognize your remote, try holding the remote UNDER the front bumper and/or IN the frunk. I had the same issue and it worked when I held the remote below the front bumper when pressing the button.

Joules arrived Jan 18th around 1:00 p.m. Blue, grey leather, air, tech package, upgraded sound, non-wicked 85 kWh. So 30 hours later she has 225 miles (arrived with 23), and I haven't stopped smiling since. If fact, I barely slept last night, as I was anticipating my first full day burning electricity.

Our DS was Grant Pope and he was excellent. It was a great time learning the ins and outs.

Our first drive was down I-70 E from Evergreen, CO to Denver and back. Coming back there is a 6-mile stretch that gains 3,000 feet in elevation. My wife and I were cruising along in the middle of 3 lanes when a newish Lexus came upon us in the left-hand lane. The Lexus pulled along side and the young couple inside gave us two big thumbs up. Then the guy driving the Lexus started gunning his engine, signaling "show me what you got". With no one within a mile in front of me I slammed the go peal to the deck. Like the four-wheeled rocket she is, Joules dropped that poor Lexus like a hot rock. After I had a 300-meter lead I regen'd and when the Lexus finally arrived along side, I was waggling my index finger left and right in my side window, signaling "no, no, no, don't try that again". The woman passenger was smiling and laughing hysterically, which was followed by the male driver waving a white handkerchief. Within another half mile I arrived at our exit and we waved bye, which was favorably received and returned with another set of thumbs up. It was a great day already, but became better when I got home and saw in a letter from the State they approved my vanity plate KCK GAS. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Joules arrived Jan 18th around 1:00 p.m. Blue, grey leather, air, tech package, upgraded sound, non-wicked 85 kWh. So 30 hours later she has 225 miles (arrived with 23), and I haven't stopped smiling since. If fact, I barely slept last night, as I was anticipating my first full day burning electricity.

Our DS was Grant Pope and he was excellent. It was a great time learning the ins and outs.

Our first drive was down I-70 E from Evergreen, CO to Denver and back. Coming back there is a 6-mile stretch that gains 3,000 feet in elevation. My wife and I were cruising along in the middle of 3 lanes when a newish Lexus came upon us in the left-hand lane. The Lexus pulled along side and the young couple inside gave us two big thumbs up. Then the guy driving the Lexus started gunning his engine, signaling "show me what you got". With no one within a mile in front of me I slammed the go peal to the deck. Like the four-wheeled rocket she is, Joules dropped that poor Lexus like a hot rock. After I had a 300-meter lead I regen'd and when the Lexus finally arrived along side, I was waggling my index finger left and right in my side window, signaling "no, no, no, don't try that again". The woman passenger was smiling and laughing hysterically, which was followed by the male driver waving a white handkerchief. Within another half mile I arrived at our exit and we waved bye, which was favorably received and returned with another set of thumbs up. It was a great day already, but became better when I got home and saw in a letter from the State they approved my vanity plate KCK GAS. Enjoy.

Yes, the non-wicked 85 KWh still has a bit of a mean streak! Love the story