Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014-04-30 18.44.15.jpg
2014-04-30 18.51.38.jpg

22's on 245/285 Continental DWS with Photosync 75/35, Opticoat Ultimate, & XPel on front 1/2 of MS...by end of weekend this weekend: custom installed LI, STI-R+, and spoiler will joining the party too :)

Last edited:
Took the delivery on Saturday (05/03)
Car is everything I expected.

Some minor glitches:
1) I hear some rattles from Front Passenger side, Haven't notified service center yet about it.
2) I guess, I didn't inspect the car as much as I should have. After driving car for 20 miles and stopping for groceries on my way to home, I noticed rear right flap was loose. Promptly, I went back to Tesla Service center and the service adviser said that, They don't deliver car like that and I might have hit something while driving. But, I didn't notice driving over anything or didn't feel any bump. So Not sure, what to do to get it fixed.

Car drives like a dream.

Took the delivery on Saturday (05/03)
Car is everything I expected.

Some minor glitches:
1) I hear some rattles from Front Passenger side, Haven't notified service center yet about it.
2) I guess, I didn't inspect the car as much as I should have. After driving car for 20 miles and stopping for groceries on my way to home, I noticed rear right flap was loose. Promptly, I went back to Tesla Service center and the service adviser said that, They don't deliver car like that and I might have hit something while driving. But, I didn't notice driving over anything or didn't feel any bump. So Not sure, what to do to get it fixed.

Car drives like a dream.

That's a lame excuse. If there was damage underneath (scrapes) they could blame you but...

BTW: Enjoy the car, 27.7k miles and counting...

Pate's delivery and first impression story

Okay, time for my delivery story and first impressions!

1. Brief history

I first heard about Tesla back before the Roadster was even at prototype stage. I got interested in the idea of driving an all-electric car after looking further into Tesla and into their goals. Then back in 2008 or so I decided that my next car will be all-electric (I don't see the point in hybrid vehicles, why do things half way when you can go all the way?). I began to seriously look into this, but none of the competitors of Tesla seemed to offer anything of interest.

Then in 2011 my car (which was already 8 years old, two times longer than any other car I have ever owned) began to have various problems, and I realized I can not wait until Tesla comes to Finland, I need to get a new car before that. It just happened that Hyundai brought a limited number of Genesis Coupe to Finland that year, as an experiment to see if there are interest. I bought one of those, which was my first automatic, and also my first real wheel drive car, both of which I though will teach me to handle the Model S in the future. I resigned to waiting until Tesla would eventually come to Finland, driving my Genesis Coupe in the mean time. I do not want to import the car myself, I want Finland to have the proper infrastructure in place to handle the car purchase locally.

2. Ordering a Tesla Model S

I have subscribed to Tesla newsletter emails, and on January 15th I received a Tesla newsletter which had a chapter titled "Excellent Cold Weather Performance" with a link to Bjorn's video about winter driving in Norway. I (and probably many other Finns) have been somewhat worried about electric car performance in the winter, but watching Bjorn's video convinced at least me that driving an electric car in the winter can be done successfully and without extensive range anxiety.

I then again made a Google search with "Tesla in Finland", and to my amazement the first link was an article telling that a premium car dealership in Finland has started to import Tesla Model S! After thorough consideration (all of 2 minutes) I decided that okay, I'm fed up with waiting and have already long ago decided I want this, so now is the time that I will purchase my Tesla Model S. Too bad it was already evening and the dealership was not open. I did not sleep very much that night, waiting for the morning to come so that I could finally call the dealership!

The next morning (January 16th) I then called the dealership, asked for a quote including a trade-in of my Hyundai Genesis Coupe, got their offer via email a few hours later, decided that the quote was acceptable, and ordered the car. I got a reply saying that I needed to pay a deposit immediately to get the order to activate, so I did that on the evening. The next day I got a confirmation email that the order is placed, and I also got an estimated delivery date of May 15th. The dealer said that this really is just an estimate, it may easily take longer. I asked if it is possible for the dealer to deliver the car to me (as live about 300 km away from them), and they offered to deliver it to me for no extra cost. We agreed that they will actually drive the car to me (as a sort of extended test drive)

3. Delivery

I got some updates from my dealer during the waiting period, the last one about a month ago stating that the car seems to arrive on schedule. Then on last Monday I asked what the delivery looks like, and got a reply that the car is ready (in Tilburg), and will probably get loaded on a truck for Finland on Tuesday. If everything goes as planned, I could get the car as early as Friday (16th of May, just 1 day later than the original estimate, which I though was amazing accuracy)!

Then came Friday the 16th of May, and I got information that the car (with the winter wheels and tires on board) will start moving my way at around 16:00, with an expected three hours until it arrives to me. It turned out to take a bit longer, the car arrived at around 20:00 (8 pm). The delivery guy asked me how thorough walk-through I want, and I said I have watched the walk-through videos a dozen times already, so the shorter the better. :) So we basically just swapped keys, I gave the paperwork for my old car to him, he gave me the paperwork for my new MS, and he went on his way driving my old car. Quite a painless process!

I was surprised to find a bottle of champagne in my MS, with compliments from the car dealer. That caused my first Tesla Grin, I thought that was quite a nice touch. :)

The car had only about 40 km of range left, so I decided to plug it in for the night and leave the first test drive until Saturday morning (a somewhat hard decision to make). I unloaded the winter wheels from the trunk first, and then had to turn the car around in front of my garage (which was very easy, the "go" pedal response is so accurate and intuitive), and then fit the wide car in through my garage door which is 240 cm wide. This also turned out to be easy, with sufficient room remaining (even with mirrors extended) that it did not feel scary tight. I just need to be reasonably careful when doing this.

4. First impressions

I was obviously up pretty early on Saturday, went to the garage and was eagerly greeted by my MS with a "charging complete" message. Luckily the weather was very nice for the whole weekend, so I drove the car out from the garage and took some pictures. The car is really gorgeous! I couldn't wait to go for my first drive. I chose my first destination to be a garage (for which I have a remote) in an office building, I thought it would be fun trying to program it to the Homelink system. Since I am just a customer of the garage I have no idea about the make or model of their garage door opener, so I was not sure whether that would work.

Immediately when I began driving on my driveway I experienced an annoying low frequency rumble/buffeting effect, and realized that I had forgotten to put the parcel shelf back into the car after removing it when I unloaded the wheels. So I backed up on my driveway, enjoying the backup camera view, and put the parcel shelf back in. However, this did not seem to affect the buffeting, so I thought that perhaps the sound/feeling is simply caused by the tires as there is no ICE to cover up the sound.

Driving carefully for the first few kilometers I already noticed how much smoother the car goes over speed bumps. And the lack of engine noise was very cool, but as I very much anticipated and expected this, it did not make as big an impression as I had thought. It also took some mental effort to try to remember where the turn signal stalk was, but that was also as expected.

Finally I got to the highway merge lane! I pressed the go pedal down, and, well, all of you who have driven a Tesla Model S know what happens next! Can't help the grin, and the main thought in my mind was "if this is how a standard S85 accelerates, I am so very glad I did not spend extra for the Performance model, there is absolutely no need for any more acceleration!". Well, those of you who like to drive spiritedly are free to disagree, but for me, coming from a Hyundai Genesis Coupe with it's 0-60 time around 6 seconds, the standard S85 feels a lot faster!

I got to the garage and started programming the Homelink. A guy parked nearby, saw my hood up, and came to ask if I have car trouble. This was followed by my first Tesla Time, after driving the car for all of 15 minutes total. :) I managed to get the garage door opener programmed, the problem is just that the door does not actually open when clicking on the Homelink button in MS. No worries, I'll try this again some other time.

5. Issues

I have so far found two minor issues with my car (apart from the Homelink issue, which probably is not the fault of the car). The first is the buffeting problem, the second is that the driver's side mirror sometimes does not properly auto-unfold. So far it has always unfolded properly when manually folding and unfolding, but when it does this automatically the mirror seems to get stuck half way. I decided to leave the auto-fold feature off for now (as I don't think I would actually need that), but this might need some looking into.

For the buffeting problem, thanks to TMC, I managed to solve that problem this morning! I found a thread Pressure Buffeting - Has anyone experienced it? which describes the exact issue I experienced, and also describes the proper steps to fix that issue. So, no more buffeting problem!

6. Conclusion

I have only driven about 200 km now, but I can already say that I am extremely happy! I feel (as I'm sure many of you here do) that there is actually no single thing that makes the Tesla Model S such a great car, it just seems to do pretty much everything right!

Also, I have to mention that my license plate was randomly assigned, but as it happens, the word "ilo" means "joy" in Finnish. Quite fitting, I would think!

Pate

TeslaBack.jpg
TeslaSide.jpg

Last edited: