Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NO! I went into production I think the day they apparently started installing them, and figured I would have a chance being in Edmonton, but no dice. So far pre heading the car seems mostly adequate (and itself is so awesome) . Would have been nice of course, but still an amazing car regardless.
Thank you. Sorry to hear that as it means I may loose the heated wheel lottery as well. @vlad22 is also expecting a P85D in Edmonton but is in the same boat as me... Delayed another week.

A New Years never to forget! Picked up Vin# 68135 from Vegas SC at 6:30 last night. Spent the next 8 hours driving the open roads of the west (from Vegas to Salt Lake), just me and a plethora of P85D love. Didn't get home until 3am!

The drive was in near sub zero temperatures, between 3 and 10 degrees once I got out of Vegas. Average speed 68 miles an hour, with 477 WH, Range was off (too cold)! It's a hungry beast, can't wait for the software upgrade. Posting pictures now.

Love my center console, otherwise there is literally no where to put stuff. Plus it looks sweet and I don't have to worry about an elbow hitting my soft drink. Not a fan of the vacant space. I know many people love the open feel, but it looks to weird for me. Definitely recommend the console.

After visiting 3 supercharges last night, it seems really slow to charge at home now. Started off way too spoiled with those things... Got super lucky with Grey next gen seats (back seats are old school).

And why didn't anyone warm me that my eyeballs would literally flatten out against the back of my skull when dong the "Insane"!? Seriously it kind of freaked me out. Not enough to stop me from launching it a couple times before I hit the road, but still quite the sensation. Never experienced anything like it.

At first I thought the upgraded sound system was useless. I discovered the internet radio stinks when you're in the middle of the Utah dessert. I then started playing real music from my phone and it sounded terrific! Much relieved. FYI: I found there is a setting that improves the sound quality of the internet radio in the apps section. Makes a big difference.

Super quiet ride. It was really windy and could hear it, but nothing major. Overall, love it, love it, love it!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Man it's cold here!
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG

A New Years never to forget! Picked up Vin# 68135 from Vegas SC at 6:30 last night. Spent the next 8 hours driving the open roads of the west (from Vegas to Salt Lake), just me and a plethora of P85D love. Didn't get home until 3am!

Congrats on delivery of such a beautiful car. I like the dark gray more every time I see it, and have received several compliments. I'm hoping the appearance of a few Next Gens in gray is good news for folks like me who are waiting for an upgrade (though I'll bet they'll prioritize new production). The squished eyeball comment cracked me up. I've done 2 dozen launches and am please to report I'm no longer screaming. Instead I'm merely whimpering, a big improvement.

Traded in my S85 today for a shiny new P85D.

Two headlines.

1. Tesla has gotten much, much better at making cars
2. "Insane Mode" is absolutely accurate

My S85 was VIN 2600, so I definitely had an old school Tesla, if you can say such a thing about a relatively new car model. I loved driving it every single day, but it did have its share of production issues. Nothing major, but...

1. Rattles and squeaks
2. Sunroof issues
3. Uneven gaps between hood and body
4. A fender that kept popping out on one side
5. Bass drum effect that required some finessing
6. Poorly trimmed headliner fabric
7. Wind noise/air leaks in driver and passenger windows

And, of course, it didn't have any parking sensors, much less all of the auto-assist features that are baked into the new cars.

Today, I swapped my baby out for a P85D. Wow. One day of driving, and a good long visual inspection, and so far:

1. No air leaks or wind noise
2. Perfect gap alignment (well, I didn't pull out the feeler gauges or anything, but you know what I mean)
3. Perfect fabric trim... no ragged edges peeking out
4. All panels tight and flush
5. No squeaks or rattles
6. No bass drum effect

I have a sum total of zero complaints on delivery. Hopefully that holds up.

The car operates essentially like my old one, although I've noticed that the handles have a little travel when opening. The old handles were stiff. I like that these have a little give to them.

The charge port cover has a nicer snap open and shut.

The charger fits in more smoothly, and with much less effort.

As for the drive? Personally, I love the slight jet engine whine from the front when I'm accelerating. It handles beautifully, but then again, so did my S85. Kudos to Telsa for managing to not fix stuff that wasn't broken. The ride is familiar and terrific. Oh, and no balloon noise! Hopefully that's gone for good.

Insane Mode: are they kidding? I was expecting "wow" but what I got was "OH MY GOD." For those of you who haven't received your P85D yet, ummm... they aren't fooling around. The Insane effect isn't there if you're already at speed, but if you're below 20 MPH and you stomp the accelerator, you will be experiencing very real g-forces. My brain got tingly, and adrenaline was released. And then I eased off the accelerator and started laughing.

Just a crazy laugh. Let's call it an Insane Laugh.

So naturally, I loaded my wife and two kids into the car, got onto a highway entrance ramp, and said, "Put your heads back on the headrest. Ready? Here we go."

In about one second, my wife was yelling at me to stop. And then she almost cried.

My 13-year old son said "I do not want you to do that again."

My 10-year old daughter said, "THAT WAS AWESOME!"

I always knew I liked that kid...

It's hard to believe we still live in a world where a consumer product can blow past your expectations and make you laugh like you're a kid again, but we do. This car is just outstanding. I love it, can't wait to get back in it... and that's coming from someone who was already driving a Tesla day after day for two years.

Oh, one last thing. When I ordered the car, I actually screwed up on the seat option. The config layout on the website is kind of deceptive for seats. The next gen seats are shown in three colors as icons depicting actual seats. But the leather/alcantara options are show in three colors as, well, colors.

In my mind, I thought "P85D means next gen seats." It never occurred to me that the seat picture was the selector. So when I clicked on the tan color square, I thought I was saying "Next gen seat in tan, please."

Ah. Found out that wasn't the case. So I don't have the next gen seats. I have the Perf seats.

Tragedy? Well... I was thinking it was, until I got to Tesla Van Nuys today.

First, as many in here have already noted, the next gen rear seat is no longer an option. In fact, the dealer confirmed to me today that the next gen rear seats are officially "discontinued." That didn't take long, huh? I guess the rear visibility issue was concerning enough that they don't want the liability (or complaints).

In that sense, I'm glad I don't have the next gen rear seats. From the pics I've seen in this forum, they're just way too obstructive of the rear view for my taste (ymmv).

There was a P85D there with next gen fronts. I wasn't allowed to sit in them, but I did take a good look... and they're nice! Probably incrementally more comfortable that the Perf seats. No sour grapes from me. That said, I've never had a comfort issue in the standard seats, and the Perf seats feel great to me, so I'll chalk this one up to "I can't miss what I never had." Also, I'm happy that my front and back seats have matching stitch patterns.

Oh, for those curious... black finish, pano, 21" silver turbine, tan leather/alcantara, white alcantara headliner, matte obeche, red brakes

Insane Mode: are they kidding? I was expecting "wow" but what I got was "OH MY GOD." For those of you who haven't received your P85D yet, ummm... they aren't fooling around. The Insane effect isn't there if you're already at speed, but if you're below 20 MPH and you stomp the accelerator, you will be experiencing very real g-forces. My brain got tingly, and adrenaline was released. And then I eased off the accelerator and started laughing.

Just a crazy laugh. Let's call it an Insane Laugh.

So naturally, I loaded my wife and two kids into the car, got onto a highway entrance ramp, and said, "Put your heads back on the headrest. Ready? Here we go."

In about one second, my wife was yelling at me to stop. And then she almost cried.

My 13-year old son said "I do not want you to do that again."

My 10-year old daughter said, "THAT WAS AWESOME!"

I always knew I liked that kid...
Great writeup! I'm enjoying all the different owner attempts to explain what insane mode feels like - yours is one of the most graphic - from the passenger point of view. I may never do a launch with my wife (unless I'm mad at her) :)