Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made me grin just to read about your grinning. :biggrin:

As I noted in the 6.1 firmware thread, all the subtle (and not so subtle!) changes Tesla has implemented between my early Sig S85 and the P85D add up to a very different, if familiar (in the sense of 'family') driving experience: performance, handling, ride, brakes, cabin sounds and regen have all been upgraded. It's like a whole new car! Oh, wait... :wink:

But it I do wonder why they implemented such a 'soft' onset ramp for regen braking in the D. My one-foot timing is way off when I switch from one to the other.

There is a 0% chance I'm letting my kids drive this thing as teenagers, for multiple reasons!

@stevezzzz - interesting. On my end, I haven't noticed any difference at all in the regen. I didn't even know they had adjusted it for the D.

So that brings up the $64 question: is the regen profile different for the D? Have other people seen the slow onset ramp that I'm experiencing?

Actually, I know the answer to the first question: Yes, the D's regen profile is different, because it often goes higher than 60kW of regen. I haven't seen anyone else confirm the slow onset ramp, though.

Traded in my S85 today for a shiny new P85D.
.... The Insane effect isn't there if you're already at speed, but if you're below 20 MPH and you stomp the accelerator, you will be experiencing very real g-forces. My brain got tingly, and adrenaline was released. And then I eased off the accelerator and started laughing.

Just a crazy laugh. Let's call it an Insane Laugh.
Congrats on your new arrival. The experience seems to only get better with time. Did another 3 test drives this weekend to some newfound friends. One referred to the fact that their Cayenne was "positively tame" ;-)

But it I do wonder why they implemented such a 'soft' onset ramp for regen braking in the D. My one-foot timing is way off when I switch from one to the other.
I have significant less experience, having only relied on driving other S', though I believe that the p85d onset of regen appears slower to ramp. I thought this was because of the front motor use, ie focused more on front motor, rather than rear, to start and then ramps to rear motor more. The smaller from motor having less regen capability... Either way, I prefer it now.

Traded in my S85 today for a shiny new P85D.

In about one second, my wife was yelling at me to stop. And then she almost cried.

My 13-year old son said "I do not want you to do that again."

My 10-year old daughter said, "THAT WAS AWESOME!"

I always knew I liked that kid...

I looked into my crystal ball and your son is going to be an accountant and your daughter a fighter pilot.

I just picked mine up this afternoon. S85, tech package, pano roof, rear-facing seats, cold weather package.

So far, it's wonderful, not that anyone expects anything else. I drove home along the DC beltway during the afternoon rush hour using TACC, which was a really weird experience. Nerve-wracking, in a way. It'll take some getting used to, but I can see that it'll be a fantastic feature for stop-and-go traffic.

Power is immense. I have yet to put the pedal to the floor, but it's still unbelievably quick. Again, as expected.

My four-year-old daughter immediately adored the rear-facing seats. She seems to really love the idea that they're special just for her. I was afraid she might not like being all alone so far in the back, but so far she likes it a lot.

Coming from a 2013 Prius v, the Tesla is just a whole different level. It's so much more comfortable just to sit in and drive, and the fact that it actually goes when I push on the gas^H^H^Haccelerator is a welcome change. And quiet! The Prius got surprisingly noisy at higher speeds, a combination of pretty bad wind noise and a straining engine. Neither applies here.

I hope I can say that I've now purchased my last gallon of gas, and I'm glad to join the owners' club at last!

Nice review clmazin. I echo many of your sentiments about the P85D being a much improved car over the earlier models. I've just taken delivery of an ex-inventory P85D having sold my "old" 2013 S85 2 days earlier. It almost feels like a totally different car. Bad luck on missing out on the Next Gen seats. They are MUCH nicer than the old style ones I think. As other seem to be noticing, the regen isn't quite as aggressive initially however. Maybe they'll do a fix for that later on? I find myself having to use the brake more than I did in the old one. The Insane mode acceleration helps make up for it though :biggrin:

Picked up P85D today. Got the next gen seats in the back and heated steering wheel. Lucky. First driving impression: the suspension and steering is so much tighter than on my 2013 P85+. I read all about acceleration and it's what I expected, but the handling change is not something I found on the forums before. Huge difference for me. Car is less soft and wobbly, more go-cart like. I'm pretty happy! Rest is just as my previous Tesla: door not closing on first attempt, some mis-aligned panels. Not german at all :)

The anxiety is real...been checking status every day for the past 2 weeks. Today, status changed to "Production Complete - Your Model S is being prepared for production or delivery" !!

What did you guys do to ease the excitement? I'm already on TMC way too much. I have my outlet, I even swiffered the garage floor in preparation for my new MS. Any other accessories you guys purchased in preparation? How soon after delivery did you guys get your XPEL and/or Tint installed? :biggrin:

The anxiety is real...been checking status every day for the past 2 weeks. Today, status changed to "Production Complete - Your Model S is being prepared for production or delivery" !!

What did you guys do to ease the excitement? I'm already on TMC way too much. I have my outlet, I even swiffered the garage floor in preparation for my new MS. Any other accessories you guys purchased in preparation? How soon after delivery did you guys get your XPEL and/or Tint installed? :biggrin:

Xpel was immediate, I drove the car 1/4 mile to my installer.
Tint took a while to decide upon.

Get your wheel cap decals, flat repair kit w/pump, and start choosing which song you'll play first!

Model S at work ... Meetings and inspections at the construction site.

MS_at_work_S.jpg

CHAdeMO adapter is a $450 option. What is it about CHAdeMO stations that makes it worth it for you?

Right now, there is only 1 Supercharger in Quebec, Canada and it's in Montreal - not great for a Montreal-Quebec trip. The Drummondville (that should open within a few weeks) should fix THAT route but when going east, nothing planned in 2015 and even though the map shows stations in 2016, I'm not that confident.

This route has 4 50kW CHAdeMO/CCS Combo station. It was a non-brainer for me.

I'm also a belt & suspender guy so I like to have every options when doing road-trips.