Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CHAdeMO adapter is a $450 option. What is it about CHAdeMO stations that makes it worth it for you?

It is also fairly useful for destination charging.
My brother lives 550 miles away which is easy to get to with the supercharging network
but when I want to come home CHAdeMO is the fastest charge I can get in his city.
(Note: the last time I visited was just before the charger was available, I'll be borrowing
a charger the next time I go to visit).

Ah, now it makes sense. We have a denser SC build-out here in CA. What does CHAdeMO cost to use?

$10 CAD (around $8 USD) per hour of charge (billed to the minute)

Out here in BC, the Chademo sites were free during the "pilot" period. I think that has expired now and they have started charging $0.35/kWh. Personally, I find that a bit pricey ... an 80 kWh full charge would be 28 bucks! But given the limited charging available outside of the Greater Vancouver area, it could be helpful for quick top-ups to get to the next supercharger or destination. For example, driving from Vancouver to Kelowna, BC, I would stop at Hope supercharger, but with cold weather and serious mountain driving, the finish to Kelowna could be dicey. A stop at the Chademo site in Merritt to add 10 or 20 kWh to the battery would give me the insurance and peace of mind to make it over the big mountain pass to Kelowna. At least until Tesla installs that Merritt supercharger that's showing on their 2015 map!!

Out here in BC, the Chademo sites were free during the "pilot" period. I think that has expired now and they have started charging $0.35/kWh.

As of 2 weeks ago they were still free. I used the Chademo chargers in Sechelt and Surrey and they were free. I expect them to continue to be until legislation is changed. In BC one can't charge for power currently, but one can charge for parking. The Chademo's in BC are all set up on free parking places as near as I can tell, at least for now.

If they ever do impose the $0.35/kWH then I think the chargers will get very little use. When I talked to the guys at Powertech labs, while using the Surrey Chademo, I told them this and at that point they were not sure where the pricing plan was going.

Sorry for drifting off topic.

Last edited:
Just completed the delivery of my P85D....sadly was only able to drive it 7 miles as I had to get back to work to pay for it.

Initial impressions where that the car is really tight...more so than many new cars from legacy auto manufacturers.

Will take a bit to get used to the regen to smooth out the driving.

Well, that's pretty good if the output is anywhere close to the 65kWh capability. $10 per hour = 65kWh = $0.15 per k/wh = about 5 cents per mile or 3 cents per kilometer. Chargepoint stations around here cost $0.22 per kWh for 2 hour max at 40A 240V AC.
They are 50kW rated station. Best I got was 42kW but my SOC was already in the taper zone.

This thread is driving me insane! I will take delivery of my new inventory P85D on the 12th. It seems like an eternity and all you kind people are just making it worse!

I was just talking about this with my spouse. With several Italian exotic cars, some serious oddities (e.g. Morgan +8) and a plethora of airplanes we both agree that the only thing close to this degree of adolescent angst for me was when i placed an order for a Cessna Citation 525 sn 41, then had to wait more than a year for delivery. I really cannot explain just why I am so giddy about this car but i am. I am spending far too much time here on TMC, doing trip planning and questioning my wisdom in accepting a 2014 produced inventory car rather than ordering a new one. Saving the $11,500 was the major issue, but why, when I'm blowing so much anyway? Oh, and I had never heard of xpel and Opticoat+, but now fear I will not survive without them. What is happening to me? Am I 17 again? I'd ask you people for help, but I suspect doing so might be asking a bartender for cures for alcoholism.

This thread is driving me insane! I will take delivery of my new inventory P85D on the 12th. It seems like an eternity and all you kind people are just making it worse!

I was just talking about this with my spouse. With several Italian exotic cars, some serious oddities (e.g. Morgan +8) and a plethora of airplanes we both agree that the only thing close to this degree of adolescent angst for me was when i placed an order for a Cessna Citation 525 sn 41, then had to wait more than a year for delivery. I really cannot explain just why I am so giddy about this car but i am. I am spending far too much time here on TMC, doing trip planning and questioning my wisdom in accepting a 2014 produced inventory car rather than ordering a new one. Saving the $11,500 was the major issue, but why, when I'm blowing so much anyway? Oh, and I had never heard of xpel and Opticoat+, but now fear I will not survive without them. What is happening to me? Am I 17 again? I'd ask you people for help, but I suspect doing so might be asking a bartender for cures for alcoholism.

Get the Opticoat+ :biggrin:

There is no cure for Teslanxiety, but spending time on TMC does help the symptoms.

Great writeup! I'm enjoying all the different owner attempts to explain what insane mode feels like - yours is one of the most graphic - from the passenger point of view. I may never do a launch with my wife (unless I'm mad at her) :)

I agree, awesome write up. I did a launch with a full battery with my wife in the car shortly after taking delivery. The first words she said , don't ever do this again. For me, at first I got tunnel vision and scared a little. Then we both looked at each other and started laughing comfortably with excitement.

i knew I made the right decision buying this car and That I had something really special. How awesome is it to be able to buy a car out of the web page and deliver such performance right out of the box. We live in a great Time and I feel blessed to be able to enjoy such a car.

I would like to add something else that really enhances my experience , I have met some of the nicest and most interesting people with similar interest, yet from different field of work, ironically I am unique since I work in the oil industry.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got a shotglass filled with beans. I takhe one out each day . . . only 126 remaining until I ORDER mine!

3,024 hours and 181,440 minutes . . . Guh.

Let me guess, you must be an engineer.

Hi - I'm a new member. I figure this is the best place to post my questions without starting a new thread. But I wanted to come here and learn what I could from Model S owners and enthusiasts . . . I have been an active member of other online forums for many years and I know that the best place to get real, honest information online will always be a forum like this.

I have been planning on ordering a Model S this summer, probably in the next 8 weeks or so. I was looking at the 80 (as superior to the 60) but with the recent replacement of the 60 with the 70 - including the dual motors AWD in the base, I think that's a winner for me. I don't expect to need the slight extension in range, and while more power is appealing, I think the 70's performance numbers look just fine to me.

I would love to hear from owners and recent purchasers about tips and lessons-learned in the ordering phase (anything from config/options, finance, etc.) and in the beginning of ownership (necessities to improve experience, break-in, etc.) of the S that could be useful to someone setting out on that same path. Thanks!!