TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Owning a Tesla in SE MI

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by JohnQ, Sep 30, 2015.

1. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

I’m considering a new position in Detroit and wanted to get perspectives on owning a Tesla in SE MI. I know the closest service center is in Cleveland; what has the experience been in getting annual service? What about more significant, real-time issues that result in vehicle shut down? Any other things to be aware/wary of?

I’ve lived in Ann Arbor, Bloomfield Hills, Troy and Houghton (bit of an outlier there) so very familiar with the area and I understand the pros and cons of living there. Most interested in the Tesla angle . . . though if anyone knows of a good sailboat club I’m all ears.

2. MichFin

MichFin Member

I've owned my Tesla for 4 month in Novi and have been able to go anywhere but north because of lack of superchargers up there. I needed service on a mirror motor when I first got the car and they came out and replaced it. I saw a previous post that for yearly service they charged $700 for the pickup and drop off of the car.

I think the only issue you will have is the yearly service.

3. Joel

Joel Active Member

We have three Model S' in the family since October 2012. Service has been great. I would not hesitate to buy a Tesla based on service in Michigan. Super Charging in Michigan is coming along: the Cadillac Super Charger will be live in a matter of weeks (hopefully days). Supercharger - Cadillac, MI (end of 2015) - Page 5

The tentative Super Charger plan for 2016 is:
    Bay City / Saginaw
    Port Huron
    Lansing
    Traverse City
    Grayling
    Ludington

Let me know if you have any other questions.

4. KettleOfHawks

KettleOfHawks Member

Ordering my Tesla tomorrow and they are having me work with Columbus instead of Cleveland. Pretty sure this will be the only time something good will come out of Columbus :)

5. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Thanks, all. I appreciate the comments. I had forgotten about the ranger service even though my 12V was changed in my driveway last year. I just worry about a contactor or drive train problem and having to deal with the long distance SC. Others do it all over the country so I expect it's not that big of a deal.

Driving out with my daughters for the Columbus Day weekend and it will be a pleasure not to do the I-70 detour which adds 2 hours to the trip. Here's hoping the border crossings are quick.

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Columbus!? That's a hike.