Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preference: Saginaw or Bay City Michigan Super Charger

Super Charger: Saginaw Michigan or Bay City Michigan

• Saginaw Michigan

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Bay City Michigan

Votes: 22 88.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Joel

Mar 24, 2011
Michigan
I know various Midwest threads have discussed this topic, but I would like to centralize the conversation.

I'm conducting a poll, and would like feedback on the preferred location for the North East Michigan Super Charger: Saginaw or Bay City.

Theoretically speaking :wink:, if the locations choices were either the Meijer in Bay City Michigan (E, 2980 Wilder Rd, Bay City, MI 48706) or the Meijer in Saginaw (3360 Tittabawassee Rd, Saginaw, MI 48604), which is more desirable?

Things to consider:
1) Bay City has an older Meijer store that has no other real amenities nearby.
2) Bay City has easy access from the highway, but only a stand-alone Meijer. The walk to the Cracker Barrel & Steak house will be long in the winter.
3) Bay City is 11 miles north of Saginaw, which creates a 22 mile trip to super charge, if one is traveling from Metro-Detroit a round trip.
4) Saginaw is a higher traffic area, but has more amenities in the surrounding area.
5) Saginaw is 11 miles closer from Metro Detroit and 97 Miles from Ann Arbor Super Charger
6) Tesla's mission of Super Chargers being 100 Miles apart (Ann Arbor, Cadillac, theoretically Gaylord, Port Huron)

I'd greatly appreciate, any input from people who are familiar with the area or owners who will be affected by the location. And if everyone could comment over the next few days, that too would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Joel

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with either location but after using the super charger in South Bend my first priority is quick access from the highway. I had to stop there 3 times this summer and the 10-15 minutes it takes to get there is SUPER painful. Looking at google maps it seems Saginaw location is similarly away from the I-75. So my choice is Bay city.

IMHO, the Meijer in Bay City would be a better choice -- easier, direct access to & from I-75 and it's roughly equidistant from the Ann Arbor SC (104 mi) and the Gaylord SC (120 mi). There isn't a Meijer store in Grayling... admittedly a sloppy reason for excluding it, but a pattern seems to be developing here :wink:

IMHO, the Meijer in Bay City would be a better choice -- easier, direct access to & from I-75 and it's roughly equidistant from the Ann Arbor SC (104 mi) and the Gaylord SC (120 mi). There isn't a Meijer store in Grayling... admittedly a sloppy reason for excluding it, but a pattern seems to be developing here :wink:

Agreed using the same logic.

I've always looked at Bay City as the better choice. Looking at Google Maps, either store would have a fair but manageable walk to restaurants. The Saginaw store may have more in between it and the freeway, but that also equals more traffic and more time spent getting to and from the charger.

The Bay City Meijer on M-75 is a good choice but I don't think there is much else going on there. My travel is usually via M-10 and 75 South so it would only be a short ride north on M-75 to use the Supercharger. On the other hand, the Meijer in Saginaw on Tittabawassee is located across the street from some other retail stores and may be more interesting. Either location would be great. http://www.maps-streetview.com/United-States/Saginaw/roadmap.php

I'm not familiar with either location but after using the super charger in South Bend my first priority is quick access from the highway. I had to stop there 3 times this summer and the 10-15 minutes it takes to get there is SUPER painful.

Yeah, that one is very frustrating. You can see the stalls from I-90 as you drive by, but then have that 6 mile (I traced it on Google Maps) drive to actually get to it!

Bay City Meijer ... DEFINITELY

For those of us from SE Michigan, Ohio, or Ontario who travel up north frequently using I-75, Bay City is the perfect location to get a little extra juice to go the final 150 miles or so to the tip of the mitt.

In winter I need to take the ICE to make the trip. Today, to go with the Tesla in cold weather I would need to spend 90 minutes at the 69amp public charger in Bay City State park.

#bump#

Joel, any new theoretical info?

I spoke to Carol at the permitting office in Monitor Township (re: Bay City). Tesla has yet to apply for a permit, but Monitor Township and Tesla are going through the process. Carol didn't foresee any problems once Tesla formally applies. I'd guess a permit is imminent, and it would be operational sometime in Q3 ;) But, that is just a guess, of course. :)

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and timf