Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P D N R in a Tesla should be E F N B

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Traditional P for Park D for Drive N for Neutral and R for Reverse doesn't really fully apply or best describe EV actions as in Teslas. I thought the UI for human driving could use a language touch up and bring things into this century!

Here's the idea:

The indicator sets an expectation for what will happen when pedals are pressed.

E replaces P. "E is for Exit / Entry or Emergency". E means the car is ready to exit / enter. Or Emergency brake button was pressed. Whenever the rear calipers have clamped down, show E. You can release pedals and nothing surprising happens. Thrust pedal does nothing in E. Brake pedal may be applied for even more force on un/clamped wheels, if available. I guess the word "Park" is OK too, it's just a little dated (there's no parking pawl gear in the car) so it's kind of quaint... a park is a nice green place to visit.

F replaces D. "F is for Forward". It's more descriptive than "Drive" which could be taken for driving in either direction whereas F means you'll next be going Forward when thrust pedal is applied, there's no mistaking that.

N is still Neutral. As we know it. Thrust pedal does nothing, but brake pedal can be applied to stop car from rolling, as is usual for any N situation. (It's too soon to call this what it should be R for "Rolling".)

B replaces R. "B is for Backwards". Pressing thrust means you'll shoot backwards. The word "reverse" is a bad choice because it's relative to what's going on e.g. reversing your backward direction means you'll be going forward. Confusing huh? But Backward is absolute and a sure thing about what happens when thrust is applied.

One change of action I'd like to see even while Tesla stays fixated on PDNR... is the display should change from P to N if the car is put into tow / transport mode (Emergency brake OFF) and stays in N so long as the mode is engaged and emergency brake is not re-applied. I think the car keeps on displaying P in tow mode today (E in the future :) )

Traditional P for Park D for Drive N for Neutral and R for Reverse doesn't really fully apply or best describe EV actions as in Teslas. I thought the UI for human driving could use a language touch up and bring things into this century!

Here's the idea:

The indicator sets an expectation for what will happen when pedals are pressed.
B replaces R. "B is for Backwards".
I doubt E F N B would pass muster in the US with FMVSS. See 49 CFR 571.102 - Standard No. 102; Transmission shift position sequence, starter interlock, and transmission braking effect..

Also, many cars for ages have had B as a FORWARD position w/more regenerative braking. 01 Prius (gen 1) had it. My 06 Prius (gen 2) has it. Current Priuses have it. My Leaf has it and they still do. It may go back further than the gen 1 Prius we got in the US (NHW11).

And,
wouldn't work anymore. :D

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte
Love to sail. Sailors like to use starboard and port - shows they know the lingo. BUT for safety reasons I always use right and left as in our auto era these are the terms people know.

Still I really like your terms, Karen. I may try to use. Perhaps it would be a great theft deterrent.

The term "accelerator" has existed for years and is perfectly descriptive; no need to make up your own terms for it. "Go pedal", "thrust pedal" and others just make the poster appears to have limited vocabulary.

Actually, after having read that reference... I think it would pass.

It doesn't prescribe what the labels are to be for the various positions on the stalk.

There are lots of quaint notions in that reference... "transmission" "gear change" ... these don't apply to any Tesla.

That's what I mean, code is not caught up to EV. It's "geared" for ICE. :p

• Love
Reactions: Brando
Actually, after having read that reference... I think it would pass.

It doesn't prescribe what the labels are to be for the various positions on the stalk.

There are lots of quaint notions in that reference... "transmission" "gear change" ... these don't apply to any Tesla.

That's what I mean, code is not caught up to EV. It's "geared" for ICE. :p
Wrong section, 101 has the indicator part
49 CFR 571.101 - Standard No. 101; Controls and displays.
prndl.PNG

Not planning on changing it either.
NHTSA will not change the “PRND” abbreviation in column 3 because it is highly recognized by drivers.[7] Changing it to “PRN” may mislead some to believe it refers to an item other that the automatic transmission control position.
Federal Register :: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Controls, Telltales and Indicators

(thanks for the flashbacks :confused:)

• Informative
Reactions: scottm and cwerdna
I honestly just don't see the point. Changing it adds nothing but creates confusion. The fact that you had to explain exactly what it means to a bunch of car enthusiast shows that it is difficult to understand without explanation. Why make things more difficult?

Reactions: cwerdna
I honestly just don't see the point. Changing it adds nothing but creates confusion. The fact that you had to explain exactly what it means to a bunch of car enthusiast shows that it is difficult to understand without explanation. Why make things more difficult?
Why make things more difficult... for the old guys? Agreed. It's hard for our brains to adapt.

But

Things like this must change to keep up with reality. Standards must adapt to new physical realities brought on by technology ... or we'd still have horse and buggy references in codes and standards forever.

Old guys like us understand this, it's just not enthusiastically embraced when we realize we'd have to adapt to them ourselves. Leave it to the next gen.

What really started me thinking of this being a generalized problem of datedness.. appears in the first post of this thread too... it's this:

One change of action I'd like to see even while Tesla stays fixated on PDNR... is the display should change from P to N if the car is put into tow / transport mode (Emergency brake OFF) and stays in N so long as the mode is engaged and emergency brake is not re-applied. I think the car keeps on displaying P in tow mode today (E in the future :) )

We have cars that roll around in Park. ...because of a special "mode" that allows it. Hmm... something is funny about that.

P means Park. Not roll.

I found this odd, heh?

At least Tesla could and should maybe use the "N" for Neutral when in this mode. The convention and general understanding, even for us old guys, is that cars are free to roll when in N. That's the meaning of N.

That's underlying what sparked this all up for me.

What do you guys think of N being more suitable for transport mode?

Last edited:
What really started me thinking of this being a generalized problem of datedness.. appears in the first post of this thread too... it's this:

We have cars that roll around in Park. ...because of a special "mode" that allows it. Hmm... something is funny about that.

P means Park. Not roll.

I found this odd, heh?

At least Tesla could and should maybe use the "N" for Neutral when in this mode. The convention and general understanding, even for us old guys, is that cars are free to roll when in N. That's the meaning of N.

That's underlying what sparked this all up for me.

What do you guys think of N being more suitable for transport mode?

Firstly, the display does not show P when in tow mode.

tow_mode.PNG

Which is better than a four wheel drive with a transfer case which can free roll in Park.

• Informative
Reactions: scottm
I think for the model 3 it still shows P in transport mode. She's got the newer 9 software.

I'll check on my S at lunch too, see if it's more like a X or 3. I'm not on 9 yet.

I have seen Tesla do other changes to update the UI to match standards and conventions, maybe to get into compliance with more local laws. They updated the labels on the exterior lighting selector, removing words, and putting in symbols. I think symbols are called for in countries like where I live (Canada).

I do understand it must be a nightmare making a car compliant with every differences in standards around the world.

Reactions: mongo